Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire + DLC Thread - now with turn-based combat!

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Are there any impressions yet from people who have played the game with just the Woedica challenge mode?
I did briefly, but I decided to scale back the challenges after a certain point. I got cold feet, because Galawain's challenge is such a wild card. Plus, I do not know what to expect from the new content and the mini-bosses.

Provided I enjoy the content, I would probably play again with the Woedica challenge. Granted, Blood Mage circumvents it with the passive regen and being able to regain spells.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
Best RPG 2018: Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Obsidian's seafaring sequel dazzled us with a great world and fantastic quest design this year.

C3qapE2aLYNVPm4UwaZcfJ-320-80.png

Our best RPG of 2018 award goes to Obsidian's Pillars of Eternity 2. It got fewer nominations than the other winners this year, but the staff members who voted for it made it clear how passionate they are about the game. Don't forget to check out the rest of our GOTY picks and personal picks as they happen.

Andy K: In terms of writing, quest design, and world-building, Obsidian is at the top of its game in Deadfire. This nautical sequel continues the story established in the first Pillars, but is standalone enough that you can dive into it without any prior knowledge. And what a grand adventure it is, making you a ship captain and letting you sail the deadly, alluring waters of the tropical Deadfire Archipelago. For the most part this is a classic Infinity Engine-style RPG, with reams of vivid, descriptive text, enchanted items with lengthy descriptions, dungeon diving, and magical beasts. But being able to crew and maintain a ship, and sail freely between islands, gives it a compelling seafaring twist.

Compared to the green and leafy Dyrwood, the relatively familiar fantasy setting of the original game, the Deadfire is a beguiling, strange, alien place, and uncovering its well-realised culture, politics, and history makes spending time there a delight. There are dozens of rounded, interesting characters to meet on your journey, quests that start small then spiral into something wild and unexpected, and a whole lot of deep, tactical combat to indulge in. The standout moment has to be Fort Deadlight, which sees you setting some amusing Hitman-inspired traps to get revenge on a villainous pirate.

Steven: What I love the most about Deadfire isn't the excellent story, characters, and writing, but how smart Obsidian has gotten at being able to distill all that information in a way that doesn't require me to keep a lore wiki open in the background. Pillars of Eternity was an intimidating game to get into, in part because it front-loaded every bit of dialogue with proper nouns and slang that I didn't understand. Deadfire does the same, but handy tooltips give you useful bits of context when you need them, so I'm spending less time rifling through a journal and more time enjoying what's happening on screen.

Fraser: Pillars of Eternity was a fantastic CRPG that managed to be a lot more than nostalgia fodder, but it still generally stayed within the lines, with the Infinity Engine games serving as a cornerstone. Deadfire is bolder. Sure, the systems are familiar, but the setting, tone and absurdly broad roleplaying options help it escape the shadow of Baldur’s Gate 2 and the rest of the gang. It’s a freewheeling pirate adventure, a sometimes unsettling story about colonialism and conquest, and even when it delves into the familiar fantasy realm of gods and prophecy, it always leaves the door open to something unexpected.

I felt like I was playing with a DM rather than just playing through adventures written by people miles away months and possibly years ago. From the get-go, I had a character in mind, and Obsidian let me play him without any concessions. It felt like genuine roleplaying; I wasn’t just picking the closest out of a couple of options. It realised, for instance, that there might be several good reasons for me, a foul pirate, to do a seemingly nice things and noble quests, giving me appropriate choices for a shitty person. I never had to stomach any dissonance just to experience a quest.

Well deserved victory.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Over 80% of indies and AA games by new developers have less successful sequels.

Kingmaker's sequel will have even lower player retention than Deadfire, because it's buggier, less polished, and has lower review scores from both critics and players (which also means less free coverage by gaming media).

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
If it's still a Pathfinder game by Owlcats then it wont matter.

Kingmaker is the most popular module for Pathfinder as well, so anything else would attract even less interest.

Efe

Erudite
i doubt it unless they do the module thats about travelling through time and space to defeat rasputin and free baba yaga

Ulfhednar

Savant
Kingmaker's sequel will have even lower player retention than Deadfire, because it's buggier, less polished, and has lower review scores from both critics and players (which also means less free coverage by gaming media).
All the talk is MicrObisidian's PoE3 will be a Skyrim walking simulator and InXbox certainly won't be making another Torment... so if you want to play BG2-esque games, then what you gonna do?

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
Reminder that Deadfire has maintained above a 92% positive user review score for a month now.

Reminder that pathfinder kingmaker has 3x as many recent reviews as deadfire despite never going on sale

Reminder that Skyrim sits on 94% positive recent reviews and sold millions & millions of copies

Goddamn idiots, both of you.

Why are you still shilling safav harmond ? When will you finally be contractually free of this despicable & alienating task of yours ?

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
You diss Skyrim, but you probably played over 100 hours when it came out like everyone else.

Just like how many of the people trashing Deadfire in this thread are already on their second or third playthrough.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
I have 77 hours logged in Deadfire. I pre-ordered the game and beat it within a couple weeks of it coming out. I don't think the game sold poorly because it's bad. I think it was marketed really poorly, just like Tyranny. Obsidian chose a publisher whose YT channel has 2.5k subs (probably because Feargus had burned bridges with everybody else) and so nobody actually generated hype for Deadfire. The only people who even knew it was coming out were people who liked the first game enough to follow the dev blogs.

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
You diss Skyrim, but you probably played over 100 hours when it came out like everyone else.

Just like how many of the people trashing Deadfire in this thread are already on their second or third playthrough.
You're not a bright person, on top of being a dishonest one.
I'm not "dissing" anything, nor giving my opinion on any of these games - and you don't know shit about it - so either address my point or respectfully observe silence you spastic.
Do you actually take user reviews %, sales or average amount of hours played as serious indicators of a game's quality ?

Although I'm tempted to ask you more about what you think of Skyrim, perhaps you deserve a Bethestard tag as well. Unsurprising, would be.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Do you actually take user reviews %, sales or average amount of hours played as serious indicators of a game's quality ?

Yes.

If a game has 90% positive reviews, sold tens of millions of copies, has an average playtime of 200 hours, and is still widely regarded 7 years later... maybe it's not such a terrible game after all.

Last edited:

jf8350143

Liturgist
Pillars series are the face of the Obsidian, it's their very first sucessful origianl series. So they will make a third one if Microsoft allows them, it's not like it will cost them big money.

However the problem is they have outer worlds now and that could be Obisidian's new face. It's pretty unlikely they turn this into a fallout and elder scroll kind situation.

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron

Yes.

If a game has 90% positive reviews, sold tens of millions of copies, has an average playtime of 200 hours, and is still widely regarded 7 years later... maybe it's not such a terrible game after all.

Then delight us with your conclusions on some of deadfire statistics :
Sales : it bombed. Between 200k & 400k owners on steam despite several discount events.
Trophies : Only 66% people left the beginning island. Only 20% met Eothas at the end.
Average game time on steamspy : 30 hours. Median game time : 15 hours.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Just because good reviews and sales are positive indicators of quality, doesn't mean the lack of such things are proof of bad quality.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Trophies : Only 66% people left the beginning island. Only 20% met Eothas at the end.

That's actually very good, considering isometric CRPGs have notoriously low completion rates.

Take Pathfinder: Kingmaker for example. Only 56% of players have beaten Act 1, and only 1% completed the game.

Jinn

Arcane
Games don't get an average of 92% positive reviews unless they're great in some ways.

It's funny that you keep on bringing this month-long sustained percentage as if it represents the majority of user reviews on steam. And yes, I know that in a prior post you noted that it has been that way for a month. But in the one I just quoted, you stated it as if it was the definitive user score percentage.

From the steam page:

RECENT REVIEWS: Very Positive (371) (92% positive)

ALL REVIEWS: Very Positive (2,953) (81% positive)

So to revise your statement in the above post, you meant "Games don't get an average of 81% positive reviews unless they're great in some ways."?

I actually like PoE II quite a bit, but it's just very strange the ways you choose to try to champion the game on the Codex. It's pretty baffling to me. If your intent is to get more people here to like it, your tactics are very clearly having the opposite effect on most people around here.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Maybe because the game has improved a lot since release, and recent reviews are more indicative of its current quality.

Jinn

Arcane
Maybe so, but it's only 371 people. What tiny percentage of owners is that who feel the passionate compulsion to share their positive impressions of the game with others? I just don't think the positive response from 371 users is the measure of a great game, or something that needs to be brought up repeatedly to support such an opinion. It's just a weird way to try to prove your point is all.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom