Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Stellaris - Paradox new sci-fi grand strategy game

LizardWizard

Cipher
Nah, trade is best if you're min maxing right. Food is a joke and all you need is a couple beefy agri worlds to sustain a massive sprawling empire

baturinsky

Arcane
Biggest problem with trade is pirates. Even with tons of hangar coverage, when thousands of trade comes through a single lane, pirates keep coming.

Delterius

Arcane
Subversive Cult is nowhere near as good as I want it to be. All it gets you is standard Crime Syndicate, plus the church building, except you can't really leverage the church building to convert pops to spiritualist because it doesn't add crime, leaving you vulnerable to getting kicked off the planet unless it's your third or fourth building.

Personally I think Enforcers are just too effective, -25 each is huge. Thinking of making a mod to drop them to -10, -15 with Police State to make that Civic better.
This is all true. I think that Subversive Cult's Temple should add some crime. Otherwise you're just leeching off far away spiritualist starts, which should be quite rare considering those nearby tend to be of opposite ethos to yours.

Nah, trade is best if you're min maxing right. Food is a joke and all you need is a couple beefy agri worlds to sustain a massive sprawling empire

Clerks get 2 trade value apiece. Technicians can produce 8+ energy apiece (farmers 12+ food apiece). And trade has to be protected with those awful starbases that still fail to suppress piracy with 6x defensive modules.

Food is always good since you can get more growth. It tends to sell well on the market too.

baturinsky

Arcane

Clerks get 2 trade value apiece. Technicians can produce 8+ energy apiece (farmers 12+ food apiece). And trade has to be protected with those awful starbases that still fail to suppress piracy with 6x defensive modules.

Food is always good since you can get more growth. It tends to sell well on the market too.

City district gives you housing worth for an ~1.6 extra buildings, so if you use it for Commercial Megaplex and a half of a Crystal Plant to upkeep it, so you get 12 clerks and a merchant per district instead of 2 technicians. And clerks can be slaves, consuming relatively few.

Delterius

Arcane
I wanted some kind of aquatic humanoid thing as portraits and I thought: Hmm, maybe the good modding community has something of interesting!

6A0168223A6100169481AB0FC19FF168C0F8FF59

City district gives you housing worth for an ~1.6 extra buildings, so if you use it for Commercial Megaplex and a half of a Crystal Plant to upkeep it, so you get 12 clerks and a merchant per district instead of 2 technicians. And clerks can be slaves, consuming relatively few.

Pop growth is your bottleneck, not building construction. Even if you are despoiler you end up run out of new pops to steal once you colonize more worlds.

In the early game you can build 20 mining districts for 40 housing just fine even if you aren't running 40 mining jobs at the time. Therefore there's virtually no reason to build cities before the mid/late game. And by that point you want to run the 8+ job research buildings. You can fill a whole world with those with only a few/no cities if you have some decent amount of -housing requirements for your pops. Robots are especially good since they require only .5, they can work a lot of your districts while housing is freed up for higher jobs.

isn't it funny how the militarist civics -- barbaric despoilers and fanatic purifiers -- sidestep planetary invasion altogether

Don't FPs get bonuses if they go down there and purge the xenos themselves, rather than simply exploding them from orbit?

Man don't tell me, I wanted some Barbaric portraits for my Barbaric Despoilers, like, looking like pirates or reavers or technobarbarians, found nothing.
Humanoid DLC has Orks and such

I just wanted some rough 'n tumble humans for the Galactic Human Host :argh:

Delterius

Arcane
isn't it funny how the militarist civics -- barbaric despoilers and fanatic purifiers -- sidestep planetary invasion altogether

Don't FPs get bonuses if they go down there and purge the xenos themselves, rather than simply exploding them from orbit?
yeah but you can also bomb them all into post apocalyptic status and be a survivor yourself

win/win

yeah but you can also bomb them all into post apocalyptic status and be a survivor yourself

win/win

Ah, the good ol' tactic of Terrorforming!

https://xenonion.com/home/2018/3/22...armageddon-bombardment-terraforming-technique

baturinsky

Arcane
Biggest problem with trade is pirates. Even with tons of hangar coverage, when thousands of trade comes through a single lane, pirates keep coming.

Suppress that with naked corvettes

Each system along the lane?
I more like the idea of using Gates to connect distant branches of empire late game.

Also, here is the solution for inclooosiveness:

Open Common/Defines/00_defines.txt

search for:

NEW_POP_SPECIES_RANDOMNESS = 1.0 # The higher this is, the more random species selection of new pops will be

NEW_POP_SAME_SPECIES_WEIGHT = 1.0 # The higher this is, the more new pops will be weighted by number of exact same species pops

NEW_POP_EXACT_SPECIES_WEIGHT = 0.5 # The higher this is, the more new pops will be weighted by number of same or subspecies pops

NEW_POP_SLAVERY_WEIGHT = 0.5 # The higher this is, the more new pops will tend to be balanced between enslaved and non-enslaved species

NEW_POP_SPECIES_DIV = 0.5 # The higher this is, the more planets will tend to grow species that are underrepresented on the planet

NEW_POP_HABITABILITY_THRESHOLD = 0.6 # If habitability is under this, apply exponentinally increasing penalties to new pop weight

NEW_POP_HOMEWORLD_MULT = 2 # Pops have increased weight for growing on their homeworld

NEW_POP_ASSEMBLY_TRAIT_MULT = 1 # Extra weight per trait point for assembled pops

NEW_POP_GROWTH_MOD_MULT = 0.66 # How much does species growth mod trait matter for new pop weight

NEW_POP_IMMIGRATION_MOD_MULT = 1 # How much does species immigration growth mod trait matter for new pop weight (when there is immigration)

Now change it to

NEW_POP_SPECIES_RANDOMNESS = 0.0 # The higher this is, the more random species selection of new pops will be
NEW_POP_SAME_SPECIES_WEIGHT = 2.0 # The higher this is, the more new pops will be weighted by number of exact same species pops
NEW_POP_EXACT_SPECIES_WEIGHT = 0.5 # The higher this is, the more new pops will be weighted by number of same or subspecies pops
NEW_POP_SLAVERY_WEIGHT = 0.5 # The higher this is, the more new pops will tend to be balanced between enslaved and non-enslaved species
NEW_POP_SPECIES_DIV = 0.0 # The higher this is, the more planets will tend to grow species that are underrepresented on the planet
NEW_POP_HABITABILITY_THRESHOLD = 0.7 # If habitability is under this, apply exponentinally increasing penalties to new pop weight
NEW_POP_HOMEWORLD_MULT = 2 # Pops have increased weight for growing on their homeworld
NEW_POP_ASSEMBLY_TRAIT_MULT = 1 # Extra weight per trait point for assembled pops
NEW_POP_GROWTH_MOD_MULT = 0.66 # How much does species growth mod trait matter for new pop weight
NEW_POP_IMMIGRATION_MOD_MULT = 1 # How much does species immigration growth mod trait matter for new pop weight (when there is immigration)

How to sabotage the fuck out of the entire universe:

1. Find a shitty pop. Make it even shittier (all negative traits)
2. Make a dozen similar versions of that pop. One for oceans, one for arid, etc.
3. Make a planet or habitat with all of these, "gift" it to one of the egalitarian empires that will undoubtably sign migration treaties.
4. Sit back and watch as most AI empires become roughly 10/10/10/10/10/10/10/10/10/10% shit/shit/shit/shit/shit/shit/shit/shit/shit/original founder species. Because each "version" of that species gets a share of the overall "ideal" pop distribution.

Hellraiser

Arcane
How to sabotage the fuck out of the entire universe:

1. Find a shitty pop. Make it even shittier (all negative traits)
2. Make a dozen similar versions of that pop. One for oceans, one for arid, etc.
3. Make a planet or habitat with all of these, "gift" it to one of the egalitarian empires that will undoubtably sign migration treaties.
4. Sit back and watch as most AI empires become roughly 10/10/10/10/10/10/10/10/10/10% shit/shit/shit/shit/shit/shit/shit/shit/shit/original founder species. Because each "version" of that species gets a share of the overall "ideal" pop distribution.

The melonheads are now on to you for discovering their endgame bro.

baturinsky

Arcane
I have found more or less best way to deal with broken piracy. Just move capital to the center of empire, build 6 trade modules on it and try to keep most of trade inside the six-radius of capital.

Norfleet

I thought the solution was just to fill the problem area with Cop Cars. Pirates won't spawn in an area that contains a cop car. Once an area is cleared, station a cop car there, no more pirates.

Trithne

Erudite
I think the values for trade protection from starbase modules were balanced for the sorts of numbers they seem to get in their internal testing.

I just make cheap police frigates and have them patrol around.

Goliath

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Cybrex is best?!

I don't get why people are saying the Cybrex precursor chain is the most desirable one and are even restarting the game until they start in the sector of the galaxy which spawns the Cybrex chain.

I have gotten and completed the Cybrex chain multiple times but never actually got around to repairing the ring world. By the time you get the necessary technologies you have already won the game and building your own ring world from scratch isn't a big deal either at that point.

In contrast, in my current game I finished the First League chain, the first time in 2.2.. and OMG the reward is so much better: You get a free, ready-to-use Ecumenopolis!

Getting one of those in the early to mid-game is ten times better than being able to fast track a ring world in the late game if you ask me.

You're probably reading guides from previous patches. First League and the free Ecumenopolis is by far the best precursor chain right now.

baturinsky

Arcane
Getting free Ringworld means you can get Mega structures tech without wasting Ascension slot on Voidborne.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom