Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Wunderbar

Arcane
there is a whole thread about it.

Duraframe300

Arcane
You're full of shit. No such dialogue exists in the game. (Maybe in the minds of the idiots that write at Giantbomb.) I wonder if you've actually played the game.
:roll:

Maybe you should just replay the game and reassure yourself, then I don't have to post numerous dialogue snippets to treat your butthurt and amnesia.

You literary just posted the dialouge where she confirms that she's a lesbian. Nowhere in there does she make the same-sex thing a main point of her desires or calls for change. Now you may argue that may be a reason for her liberul views but it does not define her charachter, hits the player over the head with it or forces the player to agree with it.

Yosharian

Arcane
You're full of shit. No such dialogue exists in the game. (Maybe in the minds of the idiots that write at Giantbomb.) I wonder if you've actually played the game.
:roll:

Maybe you should just replay the game and reassure yourself, then I don't have to post numerous dialogue snippets to treat your butthurt and amnesia.

Nothing in that video is evidence of anything you posted. I already found all those dialogues using the link I posted. She states quite clearly that the woman she loved left the Brotherhood because of her parents, not the Brotherhood. That some people in the Brotherhood thought procreation was everyone's duty. It's clear that it's only some people in the Brotherhood that thought this way.

She herself never states that she's trying to make the Brotherhood more accepting of gay people. She never even brings it up again aside from this conversation. She only talks in broad strokes about the BoS being more accepting of outsiders in general, which makes complete sense within the game's setting and is nothing to do with social justice or 'muh migrants'.

It's pretty clear that, rather than being opposed to social justice agenda-pushing in games, which I despise, you're actually just a sad little bigot.

Last edited:

imweasel

You literary just posted the dialouge where she confirms that she's a lesbian. Nowhere in there does she make the same-sex thing a main point of her desires or calls for change.

Wut? Veronica literally says that her lesbian girlfriend (Christine) left the brotherhood, because BoS members including Christine's parents (muh conservative right-wing bigots) wanted to force her to procreate. She then goes on to say that this could change if BoS membership was open to outsiders (muh migrants). Watch again.

In this scene Veronica is arguing with a BoS member about why it is so important to be progressive and open up the BoS to outsiders (muh migrants).

That said, there is more dialogue confirming this, but I won't post anymore snippets. Replay the game if you forgot everything.

Last edited by a moderator:

imweasel

She herself never states that she's trying to make the Brotherhood more accepting of gay people. She never even brings it up again aside from this conversation.
It is clearly one of her motivations, probably her main motivation, but you seem to have the reading/listening comprehension of a five year old and also seem to be incapable of logical conclusions, so your reaction doesn't surprise me.

It's pretty clear that, rather than being opposed to social justice agenda-pushing in games, which I despise, you're actually just a sad little bigot.
Uh huh.

0HtTurA.png

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
i actually don't really see many "centrists" whenever these conversations pop up, which is always. That meme above would be funnier if there actually were people who tried to be neutral on the culture war but (sadly? fortunately?) it is impossible to remain neutral and everybody eventually picks a side. Always.

[insert satiric Starship Troopers ad of little kids DOING THEIR PART; are you doing yours?]

Yosharian

Arcane
She herself never states that she's trying to make the Brotherhood more accepting of gay people. She never even brings it up again aside from this conversation.
It is clearly one of her motivations, probably her main motivation, but you seem to have the reading/listening comprehension of a five year old and also seem to be incapable of logical conclusions, so your reaction doesn't surprise me.
That's your opinion, but that isn't what any of her dialogue says, and it's never referenced by any of the in-game material.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
imweasel your argument would carry more weight if there weren’t many other powerful reasons why the BoS needs to change, reasons Veronica herself mentions. By the time of New Vegas, the Mojave Brotherhood is a pathetic husk of its former self. They’re beaten and they know it. Whatever direction you decide to push them in, it’s clear to just about everyone in the organization that the status quo has failed. Techno-isolationism landed them in a single, sad little bunker, hidden from the NCR’s superior forces.

Elder McNamara’s lockdown on contact with the outside world is extremely unpopular—it’s not just Veronica who wants to end it. Even Harden, the hardcore conservative, wants to end the lockdown and start dealing with the outside world again, he simply plans to be more violent about it than Veronica.

Why does she favor a more peaceful approach? Because her job is to go out into the wasteland and make nice with outsiders in order to keep the Brothethood supplied. She’d be really bad at procurement if she couldn’t get along with foreigners. I guess Obsidian could have made her an isolationist or a BoS supremacist, but it would’ve been really jarring—why the hell would the brotherhood send out an isolationist as the closest thing they have to a diplomat?

The character still makes perfect sense even if she’s straight. Her heartbreak over Christine raises the emotional stakes, though, especially once you meet Christine in Dead Money.

And all of this is the text, not subtext. It’s very clearly explained in game. If you want to believe that every facet of Veronica’s belief system is determined by the fact that she’s a thwarted lesbian, that says more about you than it does about the character.

Veronica’s far from my favorite companion (although I think her real problem is Felicia Day’s voice acting), but she’s a three dimensional character with a deep and abiding love for the very community that drove out her girlfriend. She’s genuinely torn between her people and her desire to see the world (and make some kind of difference rather than sitting in a bunker all day with her thumb up her ass).

If Veronica quality is the worst we get from The Outer Worlds, it will have some damn good content.

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Could you point out the part where Fenstermaker wrote her as someone 'on a mission for gender equality and the acceptance of same sex love in the Brotherhood' ?

I highly suspect that you're talking out of your ass, but I'm happy to be proven wrong.

Now that is some major butthurt. :lol:

Here is a short write-up of her character. I'm sure we could find the corresponding dialogue options if we sift through them or watch some youtube videos.

She wants to open up the Brotherhood to outsiders, one of the reasons (maybe it was the only reason) being so that the gay sex can flow.

She fears that the exclusionary perspective of the Brotherhood is going to lead to its eventual undoing and hopes to motivate a change.

If the Courier speaks to Veronica and earns her trust, she may reveal more about her past, including a lost love who she feels was driven off by the restrictive nature of the Brotherhood. Veronica is a lesbian and the Brotherhood oppose the idea of same sex love since they don't allow in outsiders and therefore must reproduce in order to carry on.
https://www.giantbomb.com/veronica-santangelo/3005-17036/
Fake and gay

laclongquan

Arcane
There's nothing wrong with a game having gay marriage or gay characters; it's wrong when it's forced upon you in some way. badly written and designed.

I dont even mind that it's forced. I do mind some attentionwhore of a writer keep jumping unskillfully onto my face. The which, believe me, show very clearly in the writings, hidden or not.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Well, Veronica in New Vegas is a lesbian companion on a mission for gender equality and the acceptance of same sex love in the Brotherhood of Steel. :lol: If you think it sounds stupid, forced and cringy, that is because it is.

Bitch please. Scenes of Veronica-Christie is the best fapping material in Fallout New Vegas
hmm i need to fimd the doujinshi of this. . .

For research purposes

Codex Year of the Donut
The main issue with Veronica in FNV is that you can meet her lesbo lover in the DLC but there's no interaction between them, you can't even tell Veronica about it. No idea why they did that.

jf8350143

Liturgist
If I'm not mistaken, Fallout 2 is the very first video game in the history that includes Same-sex marriage, and its still one of the best RPG ever made.

FNV has multiple gay characters and it's the best 3d fallout by a mile.

What the fuck did gay characters in the game has anything to do with the quality of the game anyway? I swear some of you guys are even more senstive and insecure than the SJWs.

Black Angel

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
The main issue with Veronica in FNV is that you can meet her lesbo lover in the DLC but there's no interaction between them, you can't even tell Veronica about it. No idea why they did that.
maybe they weren't able to get Felicia Day for voice acting?
Probably. GW2 had a similar problem with her.

We're probably only a few years away from the start of voice acting dying out and being replaced with TTS.
VAs have nobody to blame but themselves and their obnoxious union that makes hiring them absolute hell.

imweasel

your argument would carry more weight if there weren’t many other powerful reasons why the BoS needs to change, reasons Veronica herself mentions. [...] If you want to believe that every facet of Veronica’s belief system is determined by the fact that she’s a thwarted lesbian, that says more about you than it does about the character.
Veronica believes the Brotherhood of Steel clings to an "archaic society" and instead needs to be open-minded and also share their tech with the wasteland. Veronica's lesbian love (Christine) left the BoS because she refused to be the "victim" of an "archaic society" that can force women to get married and procreate against their will for self-preservation purposes. We agree upon these points.

What we don't agree about is what motivates Veronica. I believe Christine's departure also strongly motivated Veronica to change the BoS and their society, you and the other Obsidian circle jerkers believe it is a completely irrelevant facet to her character, i.e. Veronica sadly talks about her true love simply because "LOL". :roll:

I dunno man, believe what you want, stamp your feet and throw some more hissy fits, but it is quite clear that Christine's departure clearly and intensely motivates Veronica to change the BoS and their society.

Last edited by a moderator:

imweasel

Arcade is gay, isn't he? I remember him basically not bringing it up at all.
It is very well hidden. I believe you have to actually show some kind of interest in his character before he mentions it.

I don't think there has ever been a gay character in an RPG that doesn't say "HI, I'M GAY!" after like two or three lines of dialogue. I guess you could say Sawyer did a good job while writing the character and creating the dialogue tree.

Xeon

Augur
Yeah, his look also, he looks pretty normal instead of being flamboyant looking or something like in DAI for example.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Complaining about a realistic depiction of homosexuality in the wasteland :prosper:

2ithdsg.png

In Fallout 2, Avellone wrote a line where you can call a woman a bigot for not wanting to date you (a gay woman).
11m6g0k.png

nlyf05.png

Blame Avellone for not being forward-thinking enough

Sawyer said:
After Honest Hearts, why wasn't there any new speech option to talk to Caesar about finding Graham in Zion, like there was with Veronica about Elijah?
The reactivity for Veronica was planned for ahead of time (i.e., before New Vegas' development ended). Because Honest Hearts wasn't planned out until significantly after all of Caesar's dialogue was written and recorded, we didn't have the same opportunity.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Complaining about a realistic depiction of homosexuality in the wasteland :prosper:

2ithdsg.png

In Fallout 2, Avellone wrote a line where you can call a woman a bigot for not wanting to date you (a gay woman).
11m6g0k.png

nlyf05.png

Blame Avellone for not being forward-thinking enough

Sawyer said:
After Honest Hearts, why wasn't there any new speech option to talk to Caesar about finding Graham in Zion, like there was with Veronica about Elijah?
The reactivity for Veronica was planned for ahead of time (i.e., before New Vegas' development ended). Because Honest Hearts wasn't planned out until significantly after all of Caesar's dialogue was written and recorded, we didn't have the same opportunity.
I believe you could bone the chick in the second case if you have enough stats.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom