Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
That is not true. You need to hit specific thresholds with stats to access more shots per round which is critical for a build like crossbow that is already struggling to match damage output of other weapons. It is fairly easy for new players to just not specialize enough, to not have stats needed and pick perks needed.
Mind explaining what, specifically, you're referring to? Without stims/bonus AP from perks you'll always have two shots per round, no matter your crossbow, stat, and skill configuration. If you're talking about a specific perk that increases AP, the complete perk list is available from the character creation screen, so it's easy to plan around future perks. You'll quickly (i. e. within a few hours of playing) realize that crossbows have a flat AP cost, and so recognize the power of anything that increases your AP pool. Stats can be increased through levelling, so if you're reasonably close to the requirements there's no issue, just get a few more levels under your belt. If not, restart. It's only a few hours, anyway. This is all working under the assumption that you're right about the shots/round thing, which I don't think you are. If you're playing a stealthy crossbowman, and you're determined to kill everything, AND your crossbow is your only way of dealing damage, you're Doing It Wrong™. The strength of crossbows lies in the special bolts and skills granted by perks (like Snipe, which you would have to be a complete moron not to get when doing this build) rather than direct damage, anyway.

Sure, it's easy to build something useless, if you keep your eyes closed during chargen and pick stats and skills at random. If you have two braincells to rub together and apply common sense, however, I very much doubt you'll end up with a nonfunctional character, even though it might not be an optimal one.

Parabalus

Arcane
If you're playing a stealthy crossbowman, and you're determined to kill everything, AND your crossbow is your only way of dealing damage, you're Doing It Wrong™.

That's his point, because if you were playing gun or psi, and those were your only way of dealing damage, you wouldn't be Doing It Wrong™, since they are tuned much higher. No character sheet or feat list helps you with this before you encounter it in game.

That is not true. You need to hit specific thresholds with stats to access more shots per round which is critical for a build like crossbow that is already struggling to match damage output of other weapons.
Shots per round has nothing to do with stats though, it's just based on what crossbow you're using. Unless you're saying that every crossbow build absolutely requires Blitz, and that's just not true.
Not my experience - with oddity you have to farm low% monster drops to get every XP point (hi pigs), while on classic you have no need for that since there is so much more XP.
You don't really need to farm, since nearly all the randomly dropping oddities are either unimportant or have very high drop rates so they take no effort to get (coil spider eggsacks!). Even if you have bad luck and ignore killing enemies for oddities it's only going to come out to one level or so in the end, which isn't that huge a deal.
I will grant you that the Faceless oddities suck now that they get mad at you if you farm them. The drop rate on infusion tanks is way too low, and trying to get 5 mask shards if you want to complete the set is pretty hard too. But they're the only ones that are hard, everything else is fine.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
If you're playing a stealthy crossbowman, and you're determined to kill everything, AND your crossbow is your only way of dealing damage, you're Doing It Wrong™.

That's his point, because if you were playing gun or psi, and those were your only way of dealing damage, you wouldn't be Doing It Wrong™, since they are tuned much higher. No character sheet or feat list helps you with this before you encounter it in game.
That doesn't change anything. When you play the game you notice that the damage output of your crossbow isn't enough, so you're forced to diversify your assets. That's what I did, it worked out fine, and I didn't need no stinkin' guide to tell me to do it.

ArchAngel

Arcane
That is not true. You need to hit specific thresholds with stats to access more shots per round which is critical for a build like crossbow that is already struggling to match damage output of other weapons. It is fairly easy for new players to just not specialize enough, to not have stats needed and pick perks needed.
Mind explaining what, specifically, you're referring to? Without stims/bonus AP from perks you'll always have two shots per round, no matter your crossbow, stat, and skill configuration. If you're talking about a specific perk that increases AP, the complete perk list is available from the character creation screen, so it's easy to plan around future perks. You'll quickly (i. e. within a few hours of playing) realize that crossbows have a flat AP cost, and so recognize the power of anything that increases your AP pool. Stats can be increased through levelling, so if you're reasonably close to the requirements there's no issue, just get a few more levels under your belt. If not, restart. It's only a few hours, anyway. This is all working under the assumption that you're right about the shots/round thing, which I don't think you are. If you're playing a stealthy crossbowman, and you're determined to kill everything, AND your crossbow is your only way of dealing damage, you're Doing It Wrong™. The strength of crossbows lies in the special bolts and skills granted by perks (like Snipe, which you would have to be a complete moron not to get when doing this build) rather than direct damage, anyway.

Sure, it's easy to build something useless, if you keep your eyes closed during chargen and pick stats and skills at random. If you have two braincells to rub together and apply common sense, however, I very much doubt you'll end up with a nonfunctional character, even though it might not be an optimal one.
I might be remembering wrong but I think there were perks that helped with it. But it has been few years since I played that character.
I also remember people talking how they would max out stats that I didn't but I still had them high enough to be useful. Also for crafting you needed to have Int at certain values to get most out of it. Strength was mostly useless except for carrying stuff, so people putting too much points into that had less for other things.

And it is Fabulously optimistic to expect people to open the whole perk list within first few hours of playing this game and plan their character right away. Most people would rather play the game and build the character as the game progresses, especially since they don't know what is coming. I did it that way, that is why I said I was lucky to end it with a functional character. But also I did read a bit here and on official forums as I played so I did know more than someone just playing blindly.

EDIT: I checked the wiki. Special Tactics has Int 6 requirement, Snipe has Perception 10. Both can be missed by someone playing blindly. And even if they are not, they would be taken few levels later when the challenge of the game has already gone up and you don't have such feats to counter it.

ortucis

Prophet
ortucis perhaps the game is punishing you for shitting on its trading mechanics before :P

I am waiting for those Coretech bastards to call me back for more work too, maybe open up some traders.
You fool! The name itself suggest the faction is much better suited for tech junkies aka crafters! So, yeah, you'd be in a better world if only you joined the Protectorate AND the Praetorian Security in Core City to gain access to straightforwardly much better equipment, instead of crafting components that those guys from Coretech will be providing.

Though, I think Coretech might sell some good energy-related shits like shields and energy weapons, so once again you'd have to rely on luck, or try unlocking next tier of special merchandise from their quartermaster.

I bought my first shield when I was level 14 or something. Couldn't figure out how it worked, didn't Google it, kept playing. When I was at level 17, it kept bothering me that everyone else was using shields while mine did nothing (note, I hate NOT done the SGS Core city quest where you get a shield at that point). Started clicking things on UI and realized you have to click shield to activate it.. that makes sense since it drains, I guess.

But the thing is, I bought a Amplified shield from an RGS trader, and every shield I get seems crappier version but with more shield storage. So joining Coretech, is all for shields. I have guns and ammo flowing out of my ass at this point.

I need some good amplified shields so I can take more HK-III grenade hits from every fucking enemy, who seem to have better traders than mine, apparently. :argh:

And it is Fabulously optimistic to expect people to open the whole perk list within first few hours of playing this game and plan their character right away.
That's actually pretty reasonable for crossbows. There aren't that many feats for them, so it's not that hard to just filter the feat list and check out every one of them. Though a new player might have difficulty determining which ones are good and which ones are skippable.

Whiskeyjack

Learned
ortucis perhaps the game is punishing you for shitting on its trading mechanics before :P

I am waiting for those Coretech bastards to call me back for more work too, maybe open up some traders.
You fool! The name itself suggest the faction is much better suited for tech junkies aka crafters! So, yeah, you'd be in a better world if only you joined the Protectorate AND the Praetorian Security in Core City to gain access to straightforwardly much better equipment, instead of crafting components that those guys from Coretech will be providing.

Though, I think Coretech might sell some good energy-related shits like shields and energy weapons, so once again you'd have to rely on luck, or try unlocking next tier of special merchandise from their quartermaster.

I bought my first shield when I was level 14 or something. Couldn't figure out how it worked, didn't Google it, kept playing. When I was at level 17, it kept bothering me that everyone else was using shields while mine did nothing (note, I hate NOT done the SGS Core city quest where you get a shield at that point). Started clicking things on UI and realized you have to click shield to activate it.. that makes sense since it drains, I guess.

But the thing is, I bought a Amplified shield from an RGS trader, and every shield I get seems crappier version but with more shield storage. So joining Coretech, is all for shields. I have guns and ammo flowing out of my ass at this point.

I need some good amplified shields so I can take more HK-III grenade hits from every fucking enemy, who seem to have better traders than mine, apparently. :argh:
I generally think that more capacity is better than better effectiveness but crappy capacity.

ortucis

Prophet
I generally think that more capacity is better than better effectiveness but crappy capacity.

I am starting to feel the same. I initially thought I would be walking around with shield on like the enemies seem to, but it drains Mana, so that meant amplified shields were better for this.

Then I realized there is no point in running around with shield on since I can just do that during combat. It only becomes a problem when you aren't initiating combat.. like with those fucking Deathstalkers who keep running away.

While we're at it. I've been throwing Molotov's to bring them out of hiding since flares seem to do jack shit. Any good methods of flushing Deathstalkers out?

Sykar

Arcane

That is hardly comparable at least to PSI. Most people when they talk about PSI mean at least two schools of PSI which equals something like Crossbow + Traps or Crossbow + Throwing. As to guns depends again. You need different types of ammo to get optimal damage output. Pistols and SMGs have additional dexterity AND some perception requirement. What is more they too are often played with Throwing which does not even need much if you have high dexterity in the first place.
I also have to wonder why people expect they can beat everything by being a one trick pony only. The only build getting close to that is Assault Rifle with Heavy Armor and even that will have its bad times like against Thought Control, Bilocation says "hi".

Tygrende

Arbiter
While we're at it. I've been throwing Molotov's to bring them out of hiding since flares seem to do jack shit. Any good methods of flushing Deathstalkers out?
Flares will destealth them if they are inside the AoE when it lands. Same for molotovs, frag/HE grenades, flashbangs, pretty much any AoE hostile effect. Making them walk into bear traps/mines also works. Yell feat is really good for this, it will destealth any and all enemies in a pretty large radius all around the player. Caltrops won't destealth them, but if you see them taking damage in the combat feed, it means they are walking through them. Then there's just running randomly in hopes of bumping into one, can work really well in tight corridors.

ortucis

Prophet
Flares will destealth them if they are inside the AoE when it lands. Same for molotovs, frag/HE grenades, flashbangs, pretty much any AoE hostile effect. Making them walk into bear traps/mines also works. Yell feat is really good for this, it will destealth any and all enemies in a pretty large radius all around the player. Caltrops won't destealth them, but if you see them taking damage in the combat feed, it means they are walking through them. Then there's just running randomly in hopes of bumping into one, can work really well in tight corridors.

Interesting, so my flares were just missing them? It's kinda dumb that flares only work when you throw them and don't have an effect that stays active.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
upload_2018-12-21_0-28-41.png

A true legend.

Parabalus

Arcane

The only build getting close to that is Assault Rifle with Heavy Armor and even that will have its bad times like against Thought Control, Bilocation says "hi".

Or Melee, particularly DEX unarmed. Don't need anything else really.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom