Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News ATOM RPG Released

Norfleet

Vodka cures radiation poisoning apparently
Good enough to be a vidya game mechanic, I guess. I mean, if eating food can heal you in vidya, then based on that, I guess vodka is good enough for radiation.

This seems nice and all but unless you can prostitute yourself to earn money to feed your crippling gambling addiction that gets so bad you have to become a master thief just to keep from ending up in the gutter then I just won't be able to get into it.
Games are usually supposed to be escapism. What you describe is just regular Russia.

Mark Richard

Arcane
A mark of a quality game is that I start making good guy choices because people are legitimately bros and the setting has some teeth to it. Sawyers stuff I found myself often going full chaotic evil simply because I found everyone so unbearable, plastic and pretentious. East Europeans seem to be much better game writers perhaps simply because they've had some brushes with hardship, violence, genuine patriotism, mafias etc while nerdy North Americans stuff often lacks teeth and feels very soft and bloated.
Not to mention self-congratulatory and without restraint. I'm right there with you - these past couple of years I've increasingly found myself heeding Gandalf's words to 'look to the east' for salvation.

It does in Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl, too, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's the case in ATOM.
Apparently the workers cleaning up Chernobyl were told to drink Vodka for every hour or so of exposure to radiation, so this was a real belief. Whether it actually works in any capacity is another matter.

Norfleet

It doesn't work that well, but it works well enough in a genre where eating food can heal you. So if eating food can magically and instantly restore health, I'm willing to accept that chugging vodka will cure radiation.

Diggfinger

Arcane
Wondering whether or not to buy this....:M

Reviews seems good except:

Not Recommended
5.7 hrs on record

Early Access Review
Posted: 17 December
I can't recommend the game in the state its in right now. Random encounters, of which there are many, most of them hostile, are way too difficult right now. Most of the time you'll be outnumbered and killed by wolves, bandits, cultists or unfriendly scavengers while traveling to the next destination. I played the game on normal difficulty and was barely 1 hour and a half into the game and it was next to impossible to travel out of the first town without dying constantly.

THAT'S IT I'M IN!
TAKE MY MONEY YOU GLORIOUS BASTARDS!

:brodex:

Last edited:

Norfleet

That is one weird review. He doesn't recommends the game but gives reason to make one wants to play the game.
That's probably a sign that he wasn't actually paid off to do that review. I wouldn't recommend anything either if I wasn't being paid for it. He has given his reasons, you make your own judgements.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Been a long time since I bought a game at release....usually wait for the bargain bin in order for my inner Jew not to have buyer's remorse....but this looks like the Fallout successor I've been waiting for and at a great Soviet price to boot! Have to support the Comrades!

BRB...off to Steam....

That is one weird review. He doesn't recommends the game but gives reason to make one wants to play the game.

This is why a honest review from a casual can be more helpful than the review from a journalist who just pretends to appreciate true RPGs.

Crescent Hawk

Cipher
Its pretty solid so far, I only have like 5 hours. For a fallout homage its slim and works very well.

Last edited:

Ein Axt

Educated
Not sure about the translation since I don't speak Russian, but anyone else think the localization is pretty bad?

Other than that game's great.

Farewell into the night

I played this, and it'c cool, but I think that I want to play Minecraft all day, because it's more casual.

Atomboy

Atom Team
Developer
Love it so far!
this is a surprise GOTY for the tail end of the year. damn.
Very, very good game. Four hours in and consider it the Fallout successor (better than Underrrail). Writing is solid, stats seem very well balanced, crunchy turn-based combat and the setting is fun (pop culture references are only at about a Fallout 1 level and usually reasonably funny or intellectual. Fallout 2's were more gratuitous). The post-apoc 2005 USSR setting is also fresher than the, frankly pretty tired by this point, Fallout setting. Fantastic work guys.

A mark of a quality game is that I start making good guy choices because people are legitimately bros and the setting has some teeth to it. Sawyers stuff I found myself often going full chaotic evil simply because I found everyone so unbearable, plastic and pretentious. East Europeans seem to be much better game writers perhaps simply because they've had some brushes with hardship, violence, genuine patriotism, mafias etc while nerdy North Americans stuff often lacks teeth and feels very soft and bloated. I don't like to be SJWS made me stub my toe today kinda guy but I do notice that Western writing has gotten atrociously bad. You can't try and present a 'realistic and intellectual' setting to me where half the warriors are females with dyed blue undercuts and no one bats an eyelid. Japs and East Euros are the only ones cranking out anything that doesn't send me to sleep.

this is a surprise GOTY for the tail end of the year. damn.
Hard pressed to choose between this, Kenshi and Pathfinder Kingmaker.

I own all three. Choose this.
Pretty amazing Steam reviews so far and I liked the Matt Chat preview...I'm in!

I played this, and it'c cool, but I think that I want to play Minecraft all day, because it's more casual.
Not sure about the translation since I don't speak Russian, but anyone else think the localization is pretty bad?

Other than that game's great.
Its pretty solid so far, I only have like 5 hours. For a fallout homage its slim and works very well.
Been a long time since I bought a game at release....usually wait for the bargain bin in order for my inner Jew not to have buyer's remorse....but this looks like the Fallout successor I've been waiting for and at a great Soviet price to boot! Have to support the Comrades!

BRB...off to Steam....
Thank you guys! Another bug fix tonight + made a "Put all typos here" forum on Steam, so we're doing everything for you to keep that opinion!

A mark of a quality game is that I start making good guy choices because people are legitimately bros and the setting has some teeth to it. Sawyers stuff I found myself often going full chaotic evil simply because I found everyone so unbearable, plastic and pretentious. East Europeans seem to be much better game writers perhaps simply because they've had some brushes with hardship, violence, genuine patriotism, mafias etc while nerdy North Americans stuff often lacks teeth and feels very soft and bloated.
Not to mention self-congratulatory and without restraint. I'm right there with you - these past couple of years I've increasingly found myself heeding Gandalf's words to 'look to the east' for salvation.

It does in Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl, too, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's the case in ATOM.
Apparently the workers cleaning up Chernobyl were told to drink Vodka for every hour or so of exposure to radiation, so this was a real belief. Whether it actually works in any capacity is another matter.

Yeah, that legend is exactly where both we and the Stalker guys before us got this trope from. I first heard it when I was like 5 years old. Cut yourself? Go for zelyonka. Radiation poisoning? Drink some vodka or red wine (the red wine one, I think, is thought to combat rads even outside the former USSR). Don't know if anything is true though, even the liquidators were told to drink vodka part. All is one in folklore.

Not Recommended
5.7 hrs on record

Early Access Review
I can't recommend the game in the state its in right now. Random encounters, of which there are many, most of them hostile, are way too difficult right now. Most of the time you'll be outnumbered and killed by wolves, bandits, cultists or unfriendly scavengers while traveling to the next destination. I played the game on normal difficulty and was barely 1 hour and a half into the game and it was next to impossible to travel out of the first town without dying constantly.

THAT'S IT I'M IN!

The best one for me is still:

icon_thumbsDown.png
Not Recommended
0.0 hrs last two weeks / 6.0 hrs on record
Posted: 15 Nov @ 12:09am

EARLY ACCESS REVIEW
This game is similar to shoving a nail into your skull.

Saduj

Arcane

Not Recommended
5.7 hrs on record

Early Access Review

THAT'S IT I'M IN!

Haven't played the game yet because of my current Kenshi fixation. But my first thought after reading the review is "What kind of a savage would be done with the first town in less than an hour and a half?". Will definitely be picking this up next.

Norfleet

That's probably why he was getting killed, the game was telling him he wasnt' ready to go out yet.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
"What kind of a savage would be done with the first town in less than an hour and a half?".
same kind of savages that have bloated Steam libraries and don't play (or get hooked to) games that are not heavily shilled like AAA hot titles because they have mindset that anything beyond heavy hyped AAA popamole garbage is some kind of inferior product

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I was a nuclear qualified machinist mate in the United States Navy before becoming a massive vodka addict. I can't say anymore. That information is classified.

selkin

Liturgist
I really love how our Russian brothers love and respect the Fallout look and style.
The game is good to look at.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Haven't played the game yet because of my current Kenshi fixation. But my first thought after reading the review is "What kind of a savage would be done with the first town in less than an hour and a half?". Will definitely be picking this up next.

The only reason I did not touch Atom is that I'm obsessed with Kenshi.

Atomboy When is the next patch scheduled?

Sentinel

Arcane

Not Recommended
5.7 hrs on record

Early Access Review

THAT'S IT I'M IN!

Why would you support random encounters being extremely difficult without the ability to control them? Encounters being random is annoying enough already.

Atomboy

Atom Team
Developer

Not Recommended
5.7 hrs on record

Early Access Review

THAT'S IT I'M IN!

Why would you support random encounters being extremely difficult without the ability to control them? Encounters being random is annoying enough already.
Joke's on the reviewer! They are controllable with each of two (sometimes three) skills you might have. Animals are avoidable with high Survival, and you can always hide or talk your way out of a bandit random enc!

The only reason I did not touch Atom is that I'm obsessed with Kenshi.

Atomboy When is the next patch scheduled?
We done 5 small ones already. The one with the key bindings and better aiming will be up in a few days, before NY, unless our children take up our time too much.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom