Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Opinion on Thief 4

• Total voters
Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
Is it really that bad, or are you guys just being nolstalgia fags? I'm considering buying it.

Last edited:

Egosphere

Arcane
Is it really that bad, or are you guys just being nolstalgia fags? I'm considering buying it.
It's a nothing game. No atmosphere, no tension, simplified mechanics. Imagine taking the step that took Metal Age to get to Deadly Shadows. Now imagine taking ten more steps in that direction and you have 4.

Jarmaro

Liturgist
Thief 4 looks like an embodiment of all that is wrong with AAA games, abusing of trends and pandering to general audience instead of genre fans.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
But Thief 4 is free.

thedarkmod-2018-05-26-00-20-43.jpg

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Thief 4 is fucking awesome. It's just a shame that it doesn't come with a campaign, and you play as other characters rather than Garrett.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron

It's betrayal of the originals in the most profound sense.

Whereas someone uninitiated might look at Thiaf and say "it's dark and you're sneaking about stealing so what's the difference, aside from modern streamlining we've come to expect?" that someone would simply not realize that, on the basic level itself, there's been a structural change as we went from some of the most open levels with freeform approach you can imagine to narrow corridors second only to FF13 which got demolished for it.

Trusty image makes a better case than I ever could:

Thief-maps.jpg

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
I thought Safav Hamon was entertaining until he adopted "nostalgia fag" as his battle cry. It's such an overused and meaningless meme that it demeans any inherent humor one might find in his ramblings. You can do better than this, Safav! We believe in you! Like that dialog check nonsense you whipped out of your ass: that shit was funny and new.

What you're doing here is tired and trite and, more importantly, unfunny specifically because it's what lesser men have resorted to when they've lost. It's funny to laugh at the retard, but it's not funny to laugh at the retard; know what I mean?

TLDR I expected something funnier from Safav than the use of a meme that everybody else uses when they've run out of arguments.

Okagron

Prophet
The "You are blinded by nostalgia" "argument" needs to burn in the deepest pits of hell. It's such a lazy way to criticize any argument and an huge cop out because you can't come up with any actually valid criticism to an argument.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
It's not even an argument. You can't bring subjectivity into an argument and expect to be taken seriously. The dialog check ratio thing was actually funny because it was nonsensically retarded but now he's just being lazy.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
It could be worse. Might as well just play Thief before 4 or The Dark Mod though.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy

Thief-maps.jpg

Extra point of interest: That Thiaf map is purposefully vague at one point, which is the jeweller's house. The jeweller's house has three floors in total, but the map only shows it as one (compare to the Thief 2 map for a floor-by-floor breakdown).

In addition, the jeweller's house has no less than four different points of entry: The front door (lol), a vent on the 'north' side, the basement door on the 'west' side and finally an upper story window on the 'west' side as well.

This makes the jeweller's house a very nice and interesting part of the level... but that's deliberate as it's the setpiece for all the media packages and journalistic bullshit hype used to market the game. There are no other locations in all of Thiaf that have four points of entry... in fact, none of them even have three points of entry. Two points of entry are a sweet luxury.

So yeah.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
'Thiaf' is ok as a stealth/action type game especially when you turn off all the modern aids but it remains weaker than even Dishonored as the storyline is absolutely horribad with the most unlikeable and soulless protagonist who has fuck knows what motivation to try and rescue a frankly crude, arrogant, murdering bitch. It actually has a few nice levels though. The level where you pass the ruins of the older 'city' with Hammerite symbols is actually a pretty cool nod to the allusion in the REAL Thief games about how the City exists in its own kind of space, renewing itself, timeless, but that's about all it has to do with Thief....As a THIEF game it is extremely poor with the rightful criticisms of it here. I spent a lot more time with it than I'd like to admit as perfecting even these levels on the hardest difficulties was really hit and miss(the maps and mechanics weren't really set up for traditional Thief style play and those options in the menu were added as a salve to placate Thief fans(failed for the most part) ).

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
It's betrayal of the originals in the most profound sense.

Whereas someone uninitiated might look at Thiaf and say "it's dark and you're sneaking about stealing so what's the difference, aside from modern streamlining we've come to expect?" that someone would simply not realize that, on the basic level itself, there's been a structural change as we went from some of the most open levels with freeform approach you can imagine to narrow corridors second only to FF13 which got demolished for it.

Thief-maps.jpg

Thanks! This sold me on passing.

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
That pic is a bit disingenuous. A better comparison would be Running Interference of Lord Bafford's Manor instead of Shipping & Receiving, considering Lockdown in Thi4f is the first level and S&R is the second. That being said, both Interference and Bafford blow Lockdown out of the water.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
It's such a lazy way to criticize any argument and an huge cop out because you can't come up with any actually valid criticism to an argument.

Yet often a statement of fact.

Many codexers are nolstalgia fags, and will blindly hate on any spiritual successor or newer entry in a franchise. In this case it may be justified, but sometimes it's not.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
I have never seen a codexer "blindly hate" a game without justification. Proof please, and be quick about it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom