Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Jagged Alliance: Rage! Released

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Cliffhanger Productions; HandyGames; Jagged Alliance: Rage!

Since it was announced back in August, Jagged Alliance: Rage! has done precisely what its title indicates - make people really mad. At least when they bothered paying attention to it, which wasn't often. Three weeks after it was revealed to the world, it was announced that the game would be out on September 27th, further confirming suspicions that it was some sort of half-finished project by bankrupt developer Cliffhanger Productions that THQ Nordic had decided to pick up and shove out the door. I guess things didn't go as planned though, because they ended up delaying it to today just a day before that deadline. Whatever the case, it's out now. Here's the launch trailer, still with the bizarrely, almost fascinatingly unappealing art direction.

There are no mainstream media reviews of Jagged Alliance: Rage!, of course. I'm not sure if it's completely or just mostly terrible, but at this point it doesn't really matter, does it? The curse has taken another victim. If for some reason you want to add your voice to the game's small chorus of negative Steam reviews, you can get it there for $20, with a 10% launch discount until week.

himmy

Arcane
the bizarrely, almost fascinatingly unappealing art direction.

Holy shit, I forgot how ugly this was. I was half-remembering it as some failed attempt at quirkiness, but it's just bad. What even is this?

mXs0trf.jpg

Last edited:

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Just remake JA2 in a modern engine as it is you morons. How hard is that???

How hard is to just repeat masterpice in times of half intelligent people, which brains is half-diluted by feminism and sexual perversion?
Really, not hard at all, it's that kind of not hard at all when armless man climbing a mountain.

Last edited:

Ranarama

Learned
I think they might have hired mobile developers to make their PC/PS4 game.

Deflowerer

Arcane
Just remake JA2 in a modern engine as it is you morons. How hard is that???

I understand not wanting bottom of the barrel trash like rage here, but what's the point of simply remaking JA2 in a modern engine? Why not IMPROVE on it?

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I decided to just watch the reviews. I honestly haven’t bought the 2 jagged alliance 2 games (unfinished businesss or wildfires). I guess UB was ok but wildfire sucked?

This doesn’t look too terrible but I was never a hardcore JA player. It’s something I should look into even though in Xcom I always got my ass handed to me so I’m thinking I won’t do much better here.

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Because there is no chances they could actually IMPROVE it - only break it.

One thing 1.13 failed to do was suppression. You don't suppress an NPC, you suppress an area. Another thing 1.13 failed to address was lying in a half-circle at the edge of the map while the enemies kept coming to their deaths. There wasn't a way to flank someone lying at the map's edge. There was also some talk of enemy AI where they just kept coming to die in the exact same place dozens of other AI characters were killed.

I dunno whether 1.13 code is open and what's its quality. It's probably shit. Only old games have good code quality had Carmack on the team.

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
One thing 1.13 failed to do was suppression. You don't suppress an NPC, you suppress an area.

Wutchu mean? In 1.13 you target people or areas for suppression.

In 1.13 it's individual NPCs that have a "suppressed" state. For actual suppression, the NPC's suppression state needs to directly derive from the area's suppression.

I know you can spray in cones in 1.13.

Being shot at in an open field isn't "suppressed". It's being in a shitty situation. Being suppressed is being behind cover you can't peek from 'cause it's getting shot at all the time. Whether horizontal cover (say, sandbag) or vertical (edge building). Fire superiority and other nonsense.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Because there is no chances they could actually IMPROVE it - only break it.

One thing 1.13 failed to do was suppression. You don't suppress an NPC, you suppress an area. Another thing 1.13 failed to address was lying in a half-circle at the edge of the map while the enemies kept coming to their deaths. There wasn't a way to flank someone lying at the map's edge. There was also some talk of enemy AI where they just kept coming to die in the exact same place dozens of other AI characters were killed.

I dunno whether 1.13 code is open and what's its quality. It's probably shit. Only old games have good code quality had Carmack on the team.

Technically you could get flanked by enemynsquads appearing from neighbouring sectors. Happened pretty often actually.

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Technically you could get flanked by enemynsquads appearing from neighbouring sectors. Happened pretty often actually.

It wasn't as deadly as it seems. Arriving enemies lost the first turn. Maybe my team got shot up a bit. Of course advancing with superior ranged weaponry made the whole issue moot, and the cheese inferior. The distances were off by a factor of ten so having battle rifles mattered somehow.

I have to admit my playthroughs used full loot drop but only because it was so absurd otherwise.

One of these 7.62 games was fun (other than the constant memory leak) but not comparable even to ja2-stracciatella.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom