Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ATLAS - sandbox pirate MMO

Angthoron

Arcane
WoW killer wannabes vs eternal early access Rust-likes is a bit of a terrible choice, sadly :( But yeah, at least there's a bit more variety now.

zeitgeist

Magister
VJOEGni.jpg

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
ARK sucks. A mod of ARK sucks. Seems logically consistent to me.

Steezus

Savant
Patron
ARK sucks. A mod of ARK sucks. Seems logically consistent to me.

I have played neither, but I doubt that Ark is nearly as bad as what I've seen from Atlas. The game is 80% water and there are absolutely no water sounds. It's fucking bizzare. :lol::lol::lol:

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I must say that due all the big recent flops 2018 has been one of the more entertaining years in gaming.

Xorphitus

Scholar
Once I was able to connect to the damn game spawned up in water at night. Swam towards the breach and was devoured by some sea croc. Respawned found myself in the water again this time I was killed by a level 150 Alpha Wolf. After several more spawn to be eaten by beasts I tried to switch to a different server but never could connect. Gave up and started playing Mount&Blade Napoleonic. Maybe in 6 months Atlas will be more stable and worth playing.

Codex Year of the Donut
10k reviews now
why do these types of games seem to attract people who enjoy eating shit?
"Hm, this game has 6k negative reviews and only just recently released. I better buy it!"

Generic-Giant-Spider

It's streamer hype. Rather than worrying about making a good game and doing proper marketing, all you have to do these days is put in half-assed attempts at making something resembling a game and ask a bunch of degenerate streamers to play your game for a week. Say you'll sponsor them and provide a few giveaway codes, tell the good old mannequin to say positive stuff and without fail the subscribers to this streamer will parrot and support the game them self.

I guarantee you that Atlas was on top of the Twitch viewership for a week or two so it got as much exposure as it could. This works well because let's face it, anyone that's fine with giving money to someone for playing video games is retarded. So you take that retard, now being told by his favouritest bestest streamer this game is cool, and that retard will gladly walk into the minefield.

That's not why. Many gamers want and have always wanted to play in an interesting sandbox, changing the world as they see fit, interacting with various systems and/or other players. That's why Ultima Online was popular back in the day, also a huge reason why Bethesda games are popular and survival games.

Unfortunately, the publishers are run by blind market research business suit retards, so the financial success of WoW blinded them to this untapped goldmine in front of them. Amazon might change that with their New World mmo in a couple of years, we will see, but for now, all we have are these indie type clowns. Still beats WoW clone #45.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
It was probably UE4 prerenders. Clearly not in game footage even at highest settings because the lighting is all fucked up in the real game.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Okay so have played

Basically Ark Survival Evolved with boats is an amazing game, it's also an amazingly terrible game UNLESS you literally have an entire EVE online guild to build up an entire economy with, in which case it is a SUPER good game.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
How badly does it suffer from the usual PVP survival game issue of raiding being impossible unless you have 5 shitbucket warriors collecting resources at all times so you can build equipment and consumables? I only have any sort of experience in Rust, and that game suffered horribly from it. Stone walls and beyond were practically unraidable unless you had a lot of C4 bricks, which took absurd amounts of grind to acquire unless you had a group of >5 autists who can play the game 5 hours a day building C4, AKs and street sign armour.
I will admit though, the game is highly entertaining to watch streamers play, even if it is flavour of the month.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom