Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Quest XI

GarlandExCon

Arcane
During the 10 days I was off my feet I was able to get back into this and got to the part where I get the ship. It really has opened up.

Vorark

Erudite
all in all though, I do wish the Act 2 ending was where the game ended. While cute, not really a fan of recycling the scenarios from that same Act. Most don't even feature new battles.

Yep, I ended up just reading what happens. Act 3 cheapens the character development that happens during the previoud act. The ending was mighty cool, though.

Ivan

Arcane
Finally finished this, actually had to beat calasmos twice since I accidentally quit the game thinking it would autosave.

All in all, once you get Omniheal (heal all hp for whole party) this becomes doable.

I loved this game for the art, the character arcs, the music, it was a total blast. I hope the rest of yall enjoy it as much as I did.
:salute:
A529938FEBC695D2AFADF7B4286BAEB74919BEA3

Last edited:

Fred

Learned
I'm in the postgame and am ready to wrap it all up. Going to attempt Calsmos at ~Lv. 60. I feel like after a fantastic meal, the post game is like extra food that while savory, would ruin my appetite. Kinda the same deal I had with Yakuza 0. The critical path is so satisfying, that by the time I'm done with it, I feel full.

I guess at this point I feel like I should start playing the "classics." Would FF4 be a good option after this?
Most FF and DQ games from the 4th one (from both series) are very playable. FF/DQ 1-3 are too but they're really retro.

FF4 is odd, a lot of people consider it the best game of the serie and one of the best game of all time, but I personally dislike it.
But you can't go too wrong with any of FF6-5-4 (I love the silly sprite animations of 5-6, while FF4 has a very serious tone), even 7 which introduced the silly "I have 500 HP and enemies hit me for 7" is good anyway because the music carries the game to the end.
DQ 4 to 8 are all good (DS remakes for 4-7, PS2 version for DQ8 for the orchestral music).
Chrono Trigger would be the first I'd play tho if you never played any of them.
Chrono Cross and FF8-9 deserve a playthrough too I'd say. A lot of people dislike FF8 but I like it for its system.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I cannot be fucked to fight calamos, I'm actually done with Dragon Quest combat RIP

Fred

Learned
who cares, hope it sells like hotcakes
It sold 4 millions as of 2 or 3 months ago (portable version excluded), which is nice (I think ?). The sad part is the distribution is 3 millions in Japan and 1 for the rest of the world (which is still a good sale number, but still it should be 10 times that)

GarlandExCon

Arcane
I just got past that part where you fight in the tournament with the did who runs the orphanage. I was kinda disappointed when he didn't join my party, but the old man and that hot chick he's hanging with who were also in the tournament would also be cool. I liked the old man's spell when we were going through that dungeon with the spider.

I don't even remember how many people usually end up in a party in DragonQuest games but it seems like there was at least enough so that there were two that could be taken out of the line-up.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
HELP

Does anyone have a save file near around when you first get the boat? I lost my safe files.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
holy shit, through a ridiculous method (check out a related thread I just made in SCIENCE forum about how to power an HDD with a seperate power supply) I actually managed to get the fucking save game from the HDD it was on.

Un-fucking-believable! Woo.

Jinn

Arcane
holy shit, through a ridiculous method (check out a related thread I just made in SCIENCE forum about how to power an HDD with a seperate power supply) I actually managed to get the fucking save game from the HDD it was on.

Un-fucking-believable! Woo.

Carry on! You're at a great part in the game and where the exploration really starts to "pick up."

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Is it a JRPG trope for the games to end with a fake Act 2 and feature a "secret" Act 3 endgame?

I recall Lunar 2 did and it seemed incredibly novel at the time. It seems very rare to me, I can't think of many other games doing this.

DQ 8 didn't have a full epilogue really, it had a single postgame dungeon that changes the ending.

RDR 1 and 2 did it to some controversy. Go from massive gun battles to herding cattle and shoveling shit.

I liked DQ 11's postgame because it gave you a reason to max out your characters, even if a lot of the content felt recycled. OTOH I don't like it when games reserve all the super awesome gear for the postgame with no story element, like Xenoblade Chronicles X did. You can spend a lot of time in that game building the best mecha and fighting the superbosses but there's no payoff for it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom