Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vampire bloodlines - Steam

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Just got it on Steam and I was wondering what mods you may want to installed. Is the unofficial patch already installed or do you need to download it?

Monkey Baron

Arbiter
Patron
I helped put crap in Monomyth
Nope, the Steam version just includes the game itself. And for a first-time playthrough, I'd recommend just the unofficial patch basic. The plus version of the unofficial patch is alright, adds/changes a lot of content that didn't make it to the final version of the release (some due to time constraints, others for pretty obvious reasons but it's cool to see what wesp5 and fans managed to do) but I'd save it for subsequent playthroughs.

rbenchley

Educated
Patron
I should install Bloodlines...
poster2152067.jpg

Okagron

Prophet
Nope, the Steam version just includes the game itself. And for a first-time playthrough, I'd recommend just the unofficial patch basic.
This. I did this and it was a pretty smooth experience all around. I might try the plus patch though after i finish my Malkavian playthrough.

Deleted Member 16721

Use True Patch Gold, even if it takes some fiddling to get working. The Unofficial Patch changes too many things and adds other stuff that shouldn't be there. True Patch Gold is the truth for Bloodlines, believe it. I've played it 3 times, twice with the UP and once with TPG and I will be using TPG from here on out. Cheers.

Deleted Member 16721

I don't know the specifics, but according to the TPG maker, the UP changes things and does more than just fixing bugs, even the basic install. Wesp, creator of the UP, is a cool guy, but apparently he has his own ideas of what balance should be, so a lot of small details are changed and called bug fixes. That's just what I heard. Last time I played as a Malkavian with TPG and had a blast, the game was a bit different, i.e. more true to the original than when I played with the UP (which also adds music in areas that shouldn't have it, like the pier, and so on.)

Zenith

Arbiter
The changes start with this exchange ten seconds into the game and end with (spoilers at link) this line ten seconds before the end credits. First one clearly from back when you'd meet Jack inside the theater first, and doesn't make any sense in current context. Second - over-explaining that likely was cut for brevity, rightfully so. "Show don't tell", all that.
Just take my word for it (or don't: check it out for yourself) that there are other changes between the bookends. None of them individually enough to spoil the entire experience (though also debatable), but all together enough to make it inauthentic. Again, this is the Basic patch I'm talking about - the one you'll get from GOG whether you like it or not.
And to clarify, I'm not advocating for other patches or whatever. I consider the game fully playable as of official v1.2.

Wesp5

Arcane
Again, this is the Basic patch I'm talking about - the one you'll get from GOG whether you like it or not.

No it isn't. The first lines of Jack are plus patch only for some time now and I honestly don't know about the ending. Like HansDampf said, music and other gameplay tweaks are strictly plus patch too. As you could probably guess from the site of the TPG creator, you shouldn't believe anything he says without checking it yourself...

Last edited:

Zenith

Arbiter
No it isn't. The first lines of Jack are plus patch only for some time now and I honestly don't know about the ending.
Default GOG installation, UP10.0. Made both screenshots myself.
In my opinion it's important to know that [SPOILERS]
First, the whole point is that your opinion shouldn't affect the Basic patch. Second, why the hell are you spoiling the whole game with this post? Seriously. For all you know the OP is a VtMB virgin.

And yeah, like I said above, I don't care about patch rivalry and have never been to TPG site or wherever. This is the stuff I know for a fact myself. And again, there's a sizeable amount of it between A and Z, but I'm not going to recount all of it here.

Wesp5

Arcane

Hm, I forgot that GOG is still on UP10.0... But I could have sworn that change was older.

Second, why the hell are you spoiling the whole game with this post? Seriously. For all you know the OP is a VtMB virgin.

Oops, you are right. Spoilers above removed and I also just now removed the epilogue lines out of basic! Anything else I forgot that might be important? You probably know that I build the basic patch out of plus so there might be a few last similar things from the original plus version still lurking around unfixed...

Last edited:

Zenith

Arbiter
'Important' is relative. I'd say the new non-interactive doors in SM hub are important (with handles! - I thought you knew better, what with lurking TDM forums and the like). But that already makes people think I'm an insane purist. And in that case mentioning things like the underboob prostitutes only starting to appear from DT in the original would earn me a year's worth of :autism: ratings.
That's just running around the first hub, I'd probably have to replay it to know for sure whether some changes are Basic or Plus. Like, Bertram had the first dialogue changed I'm pretty sure. In particular, he had some weird reaction to mentioning Mercurio or something - seemed like a line intended for Malks leaking to other clans. Pretty sure the cage at Gimble's was changed to be accessible. Things like that.
I can PM you later with stuff that doesn't immediately come to mind, though tbh I'm not sure if I'll get around to actually checking it in-game until the end of the year.

One more thing. You should really prioritize fixing the first tutorial door. The unpredictable delay makes some people restart and skip the tutorial altogether, possibly quit the game entirely. Just display the tutorial message right after the dialogue's over, can't imagine it being that hard of a fix.

Wesp5

Arcane
I'd say the new non-interactive doors in SM hub are important (with handles! - I thought you knew better, what with lurking TDM forums and the like).

Usually I don't care about handles, to me no handle means non-interactive but Troika didn't handle that consistently and so did I ;).

And in that case mentioning things like the underboob prostitutes only starting to appear from DT in the original would earn me a year's worth of :autism: ratings.

I don't even understand that comment.

Like, Bertram had the first dialogue changed I'm pretty sure.

Yes. I restored many unused lines before the plus basic seperation and just couldn't be bothered to disable them. If some are bad, I will do it though...

Pretty sure the cage at Gimble's was changed to be accessible. Things like that.

Yes, it was. But that doesn't really change anything and was done while fixing the black door there which had very bad lighting.

I can PM you later with stuff that doesn't immediately come to mind, though tbh I'm not sure if I'll get around to actually checking it in-game until the end of the year.

That would be great! Most people play the plus version nowadays so whatever was left wrongly in basic get's very seldomly reported.

Just display the tutorial message right after the dialogue's over, can't imagine it being that hard of a fix.

I'll try to do that...

Zenith

Arbiter
I don't even understand that comment.
1.2/UP
A minor detail on its own for sure, but together with equipment gating (a thing Plus patch definitely changes, not sure about Basic), it used to slightly increase the difference between at least the first two hubs, making the progression more palpable.
Yes, it was. But that doesn't really change anything and was done while fixing the black door there which had very bad lighting.
Original had creepy almost-visible stuff just out of reach, almost a Silent Hill trope. Plus, allowing access lets you see that the record isn't actually spinning. But again, obviously it's just a small thing - compared to stuff like dogs or turnstile. Things like laughing at Ocean House or sounds outside at King's Way are harder for me to pinpoint wrt Basic/Plus without checking first, so I mentioned only things I was relatively sure of.

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist
No it isn't. The first lines of Jack are plus patch only for some time now and I honestly don't know about the ending.
In my opinion it's important to know that [SPOILERS]
First, the whole point is that your opinion shouldn't affect the Basic patch. Second, why the hell are you spoiling the whole game with this post? Seriously. For all you know the OP is a VtMB virgin.

And yeah, like I said above, I don't care about patch rivalry and have never been to TPG site or wherever. This is the stuff I know for a fact myself. And again, there's a sizeable amount of it between A and Z, but I'm not going to recount all of it here.
To be fair, the game spoils itself on several occasions, like as a malkavian, or during debs radio show with gonzalez, etc.

Wesp5

Arcane
A minor detail on its own for sure, but together with equipment gating (a thing Plus patch definitely changes, not sure about Basic), it used to slightly increase the difference between at least the first two hubs, making the progression more palpable.

I still don't really get it. Are you suggesting the prostitutes appearing in SM were changed? I have to check that, I can't remember doing it on purpose. And what is equipment gating? Better weapons only being available in the later hubs?

But again, obviously it's just a small thing - compared to stuff like dogs or turnstile.

Dogs and turnstile should be plus only unless I forgot to disable them for basic...

Things like laughing at Ocean House or sounds outside at King's Way are harder for me to pinpoint wrt Basic/Plus without checking first, so I mentioned only things I was relatively sure of.

The cat at King's Way is plus only, maybe you can hear it in basic though, I don't know. The laughing in the Ocean House is an unclear case. It was there but in the middle of a wall so it wouldn't be heard. Was this intentional or a bug? I figured the latter...

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
It's true that there are two conflicting viewpoints regarding unofficial patches.... Unofficial patch vs The "true" patch

Never played with the latter but I heard from people that it's more "purist"

Zenith

Arbiter
Didn't mean to imply the turnstiles were in Basic - though speaking of those, the toilet door at Confession in Plus patch is architecturally impossible, as is the one in SM clinic.
I'm not sure we should continue to derail the thread, although OTOH it seems to have served its purpose within first couple of posts.
I still don't really get it. Are you suggesting the prostitutes appearing in SM were changed?
Yes. Possibly in Downtown as well.
Re: equipment gating, yes, it's about how Larry's inventory is better than anything in SM. Things like free fire axe and drops from asian vampire change this. I think Basic is true to vanilla in this regard though.
The cat at King's Way is plus only, maybe you can hear it in basic though, I don't know.
Not the cat. Flesh, flies, that kinda thing. At least in some versions of Plus all of this is audible from the outside.

Wesp5

Arcane
Didn't mean to imply the turnstiles were in Basic - though speaking of those, the toilet door at Confession in Plus patch is architecturally impossible, as is the one in SM clinic.

The toilet door in Confession should lead into the empty right tower and should be fine. The 10.0 toilett door in the SM clinic was indeed weird, but so was the break room nearby. I changed both in 10.1 so the inside fits better to the outside! Which many buildings in Bloodlines don't do anyway ;).

I still don't really get it. Are you suggesting the prostitutes appearing in SM were changed?
Yes. Possibly in Downtown as well.

Found and fixed for SM. In downtown both models were already in use...

At least in some versions of Plus all of this is audible from the outside.

I can hear flies indeed, but I can't remember changing anything there.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Didn't we already have a thread where Drog discovered that the fan-patch guy intentionally sabotages the game with each update and "breaks" it just so he can then "fix it" in the next patch in some sort of machivellian time-loop?

That alone should discourage anyone from using the fan-patch!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom