Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Compilation Of Turn-Based Dungeon Crawlers (Western/Japanese) - UPDATED: MARCH/06/2016

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
did not know about that system, OHRRPGCE. makes one wonder how many little known tool kits there are floating around that most people have never heard of.

the game's website is also another reminder of the incredible influence Etrian Odyssey has had on the resurgence of the turn-based dungeon crawler. i wish western gaming media and western gamers didn't foster such a jingoistic and bigoted valueing of japanese games, ESPECIALLY western rpg fanatics (whom are the worst offenders), especially because the only turn-based RPGs coming out are from japan.

the massive cultural backlash against japanese games is not surprising though because they absolutely dominated and over-saturated western game industries for a decade and a half (late eighties and the entirety of the nineties) before Sony realized they needed to court western gamers more than japanese gamers in order to win over sega and nintendo (whom traditionally only courted japanese gamers).

in fact just saying a game is japanese nowadays to any western gamer and especially to a western RPG enthusiasist elicits an immediate dismissal of any value the game might have.

Last edited:

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Yes, it's not the first time I see Etrian Odyssey mentioned by a western developper making some first person dungeon crawler (here). It will be great if we get more of that kind of games from western developpers thanks to Etrian Odyssey.

About the engine, I wonder how many such little but functional engines exist too. There are a decent number of games made in OHRRPGCE but I haven't tried many, I don't know if there are other first person ones. I like the base UI, I think it's as functional and more elegant visually than the RPGMaker one.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Hey, I didn't remember this thread existed, exactly what I'm looking for. My opinion about Shadow Brain would have fit better here. I won't repeat myself but to be short, play Shadow Brain, it's great and the translation is here.

Now I finished Out Live and you shouldn't play it because it sucks but if you really want then the translation is here.
The only positive aspect is that I discovered that Ootake, the pc-engine emulator, is user friendly, just open and launch the game, I didn't even have to configure my controller.
nE3WmrZ.png
zmvkyvq.png
DKwF04q.png
G55mXky.png
So you're a mecha-pilot and the game consists in going from town (screen) to town with a portion of dungeon between the last town and the next one.
Each new town offers new equipement to buy and a saloon with a few characters to talk with and sometimes even a duelist or two you'll have to beat to be able to continue. I thought the characters you meet and/or duel are cool.

There are different categories of weapons but it doesn't seem to have any impact and any of the last ones you can buy will basically work the same. There are also more and more strong armors and shield which only upgrade your AC.
The only interesting aspect of customization is that you have 4 free slots for whatever options you want (there are several missiles of different power, one net which stuns the enemy, one for acid (=poison) attack, one that can instantly kills an opponent, some defense ones, ....). Each option comes which 8 ammos that you'll restore in town.
Near the end you'll find a new mecha, and I thought the new UI was cool, but it doesn't add any new feature.
I can briefly talk about combat because there's basically nothing to say ; it's always 1vs1 and apart for a few enemies which are hard to hit or a few enemies who will "acid" you (well there's one enemy near the end which can kill you), they're all the same, there are a few bosses but they don't do anything except (generally low) damage ; during duels in town against other mecha pilots some options are disabled but it doesn't change much.

Now let's talk about the dungeons because it's where the game is really, really bad. There are all the same, there's nothing except monsters, and they don't even drop any loot, only money. The dungeons are bigger and bigger as you advance to the point that the last one is ridiculously large (that said there are not so labyrinthic). Most of the time your objective is to reach the next town and you'll probably reach it. However sometimes you'll have to find one thing (one time 3 things) in a corner of the dungeon and it may be more complicated (I had to map a few small portions).

To sum up, if you're looking for some console futuristic single-character turn-based dungeon crawler, play Shadow Brain instead, it's infinitely better in every single aspect.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
I took some time to play Festivus. It's free and made by the same guy who made Labyrinthium, but the huge difference is that this one is a finished full game, not a demo (I hope he'll make a complete version of Labyrinthilium by the way, it is probably going to be more of the same but the way you unlock and allocate skills in Labyrinthium is very fun).
In short the game is easy and not much original but it's fun.

Let's talk briefly about the setting, even if it doesn't matter that much here. The game is a Christmas game or whatever, and you'll start the game in a shopping mall fighting toys and candies.
You play as pregenerated characters, starting with 2 and eventually controlling 4 characters. There are some more or less silly dialogs, but they are quite rare.
The dungeon is composed of a hub and 17 floors. The very first ones are quite simple but they get more and more interesting as the game progresses.
There are one way doors, teleporters, ice (where you slide), holes.
There are a lot of unlockable shortcuts and elevators to quickly go and come back from the hub, so the progression is very fast. Besides cheap consumables allow you instantly to get back to the hub.
You also have an automap. One funny thing is that when you quit and reload your game, the automap is reset to zero.
Overall the level design is fine.
The hub is very classic. You can rest, get useless hints and buy consumables and new equipement.
Equipement is actually interesting, because the skills you can use are given by your equipement parts. That means than sometimes I chose not to use some pieces of equipement with the best stats, for example the first dress allows to use the basic healing skill and is precious.
Besides near the end you have some different good weapons to choose from, there even are one legendary weapon for each character and I didn't use all of them.
The enemies drop ingredients or equipement parts and you'll earn gold by selling these, they don't directly drop gold.
To buy equipement you generally need found ingredients in addition to gold. You're never flooded with gold and often need to wait some time to have the required ingredients to make the next available equipement part.
You characters have MPs/SPs per level of spell/skill, which are restored when you rest, and the number by level will go higher than 9 (25, maybe more?).
One funny thing is that the same spell may appear at different spell levels depending of the piece of equipement, and you can simultanesouly own a spell at multiple levels.
The combat system is classic, not that it's a bad thing. One cool thing is that spells and skills are much more efficient than the basic attack, especially appropiate elementary ones, and allow to win fights very quickly.
The game has some temporary buffs and status afflictions but nothing more than really basic stuff.
I don't mind the very fast progression through the dungeon, and that the combat system basically works but I think it's also too easy (but not to the point where I could have got bored).
The game is fun and competently made, and as stated at the beginning I really hope the guy will finish Labyrinthilium, and if it is harder in the combat department then it could even be a fairly good game.

Last edited:

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
I have been playing Centauri Alliance - aka Bard's Tale in Space - recently and the game is quite good.
The game was never released on PC, only on Apple II and Commodore 64 ; I played the C64 version, I didn't have major problems with emulation although it's not that comfortable compared with emulation or even dosbox, there are loading times and so.

The centauri alliance is one alliance among many alliances in the galaxy. You're a group of adventurers sent by the alliance to investigate about the actions of an hostile confederation inside the alliance sector.
You can travel at will between 10 worlds from the start composed of one "town" map with a starport, a headquarter and facilities. Then proper dungeons are eventually accessible from here. There's a a plot involving a natural path, and at some points you'll get orders from different headquarters.
Overall although I may be wrong here I think you can't skip most parts but you don't really have to follow the natural order.
You create a party of up to 8 characters.
There are diverse skills divided in 4 categories : combat, technical skills, magic and technology. You can create your characters among the 6 races composing the alliance, and each race have access to only one or two categories of skills.

Metamorph is one individual skill, at each level of the skill the character can transform into a stronger type of creature, given he has enough PP which won't happen if you only raise the metarmorph skill. It's pretty fun.
Magic is classic but good, with navigation spells and combat ones. 2 of the 4 magic schools are unavailable to new characters.
Technical skills consist in item recharging, healing and (item and robot) repairing skills and are precious.
Finally there are combat skills divided into melee, guns and throwing skill.

At each level you gain some HP and PP (psi points, used for magic and technical skills) and choose to add one point to one of your available skils. Besides, basically, if you put a point in a skill where you score is low then the experience you'll need to reach the next level is low, which invites you to put points in diverse skills and is really well thought.

Free rooms can be filled with robots that you can buy at shops, and monsters that may decide to join you as you explore dungeons. Although robots especially are strong, you don't directly control these recruited characters.

There really are multiple ways to build your party, and party management is very good with also a large range of weapons, detailed below.
Concerning exploration, towns are really boring, all of them only contain the easiest enemies in the game, their layout isn't good, the facilities are the same exact same everywhere and there are at most one or two points of interest. The starting town also contains the academy where you'll gain levels.
Dungeons are a totally different story. They are self-contained, contain several floors with interesting layouts, traps, hard puzzles (riddle types of puzzles much more than plates and levers) and good fights. The encounter rate is very low and the fights are "randomly" generated and intense.
You can save everywhere, but you've got only one save position and there are dungeons you get stuck in, looking for an exit. I didn't save in these dungeons before finding an exit, and ultimately I'm undecided, I'm not sure you can reach a dead-end but I can think of situations where "blindly" saving wouldn't be a good idea.

Fights are sparse, quick and violent. They're phase-based, and after completing one or two easy first dungeons, you'll need to be well prepared, with good weapons, bombs, PP and actually kill most enemies or use some strong protection spell before they get to attack you. According to the manual initiative directly depends on your score on your involved skill (type of weapon or magic) which seems very plausible. What's sure is that without a good initiative score you can't survive. Note that You've still got a rechargeable shield score which will absorbe some damage from the few remaining enemies you wouldn't have killed.
The encounter rate is very low, and each fight gives a lot of experience (if a character just raised a skill whose current score is still low then he/she may eventually gain one level after just one fight), as well as "random" items.

Combat takes place on a grid where your party and group of enemies take place, but the grid is not much more than a gimmick if you compare with Bard's Tale. The combat is like in Bard's Tale, with groups of enemies at different distances, and that's fine.
You have got a large range of guns and bombs, first to buy and then to find, with different damage, ranges, some target only enemy, some one group, or some the entire grid, provided the enemies are in range. Given you hit an enemy with a strong spell, weapon or bomb you'll generally kill it, and all the challenge is in managing your resource, targeting all enemies, possibly twice because of probable misfires. By the late parts managing your all-found bombs and guns is fun, as well as your items which provide a navigation spell effects in anti-magic area (although to be fair you can cast "LIGHT" and other spells before entering the zone and the effect lasts even where you can't cast spells, which kinda sucks).

I got one annoying bug, sometimes the combat and some of other things became significantly slower, which made me resort to the "Warp mode" function of the emulator but that does not work that well, and unfortunately I saved my game after one of these bugs because I assumed it would disappear after restarting the game, and in fact it didn't disapper. Besides after several hours I needed to restart from the beginning because I wasn't using the proper version of the game files (reason why I made this thread). Also like I said in the beginning I wouldn't say playing this game was as comfortable as playing a dos game with dosbox. But past these technical aspects the game was a lot of fun. Well I say "was" but I've not finished yet, I've been stuck for a while and I'm not sure I'll manage to finish it, but that's life.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Did you try out the Apple2 version, and if, which is graphical better?

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Nope, I haven't tried the Apple2 version, I chose the C64 version because I prefer its color palette but I wouldn't say that it's factually better.

newtmonkey

Arcane
Centauri Alliance was one I have been wanting to play for some time! Nice impressions, good to hear it holds up.
I have been considering whether to play on C64 or Apple II, and while I prefer the C64 pallete, the disk access on the Apple II (actual hardware) is so much faster. It's a huge multi-disk game, too, so this really does matter. ANYWAY, I think I might stick with C64 anyway, just because (in this case) the Apple II version colors do not really suit the game.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Yes, provided you're willing to bother with old computer emulation the game is worth it.
I have just tried the Apple II version for a few minutes to compare, and I think you can safely go with a C64 version.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Ayakashi no Shiro translation is out https://www.romhacking.net/translations/3154/

Looks like a single character dungeon crawler.

This game is brutal, unless I am missing something. The number of enemies during encounters is randomized and past the first bats and rats you'd rather not encounter 3 enemies or you'll need to flee if you don't want to die, which you won't manage to do half of the time. After several retries I had to grind for one more level to defeat the first spider boss. Now I can enter the second dungeon (you can only visit a small part of the first one and will have to get back later) and I keep dying a short way into it. There are wandering souls there, which are the first enemies which can do something else than attacking, they can possess another enemy, sacrificing themselves to make it stronger and it certainly inflicts much more damage, I don't know if anything else is improved.

Too bad the game is so simple. You find occasional consumables and gain new spells as you level up. However you control only one character, and there's not even a proper equipment system, I found one pole and I guess it equipped automatically or maybe gave a permanent bonus when I found it, all I know is I have been doing more damage then. It's a bit of a shame, I may play more of the game but I'm not sure you can do much more than just grinding your way further, it could be fun if you controlled a party.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I had foegotten about this thread. Such a task since there are quite a few games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom