Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter ATOM RPG - Wasteland Soviet style! - now with Dead City update

Will you back?

• I will consider it!

Votes: 39 54.9%
  • No! I would never!..

Votes: 9 12.7%
  • kingcomrade

Votes: 23 32.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Shaki

Arbiter
Anyone managed to get the guys at Peregon's BBQ?

When I recite the lines, they get up and leave. No "official" inspection ever finds anything wrong with them, so the only way I can see of solving it is to let them go, or kill them all (but getting all of Peregon set against me).
Tried standing besides it at night, but I don't hear any sounds ever while checking, and I do have a high ATTN attribute.

Get them to leave, then just enter the container, fun stuff inside.

Sheepherder

Augur
bataille or whoever does anyone see any problem with this sniper build?

3qZ2UTg.jpg

Too much Dex. Not enough Str and Attention. To be able to fire probably the best sniper rifle (VVE) once per round you'll need 6 AP for aimed shot and 7 AP for burst (yeah, it bursts). So 2 or 4 Dex and it requires 8 STR. Maybe past mountain pass there are better rifles, but I haven't found any yet. You also want Crits on a sniper as a lot of rifles add to crit chance. So get more Luck.
Rifle is in the second bunker. There are also at least 3 stat increases in the game. +1 Luck and twice +1 to any stat.

tindrli

Arcane
Ok that Name Alexander Sablin.. From the trader story seems like he is the one responsible for thats man demise. the moment he said that he was a friend till end.. but we ll see we'll see

AdolfSatan

Arcane
Yeah, I knew already about the bunker; was wondering if there was any official way of "catching" them. Thank you all for your answers.

SkiNNyBane

Liturgist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Too much Dex. Not enough Str and Attention. To be able to fire probably the best sniper rifle (VVE) once per round you'll need 6 AP for aimed shot and 7 AP for burst (yeah, it bursts). So 2 or 4 Dex and it requires 8 STR. Maybe past mountain pass there are better rifles, but I haven't found any yet. You also want Crits on a sniper as a lot of rifles add to crit chance. So get more Luck.
Rifle is in the second bunker. There are also at least 3 stat increases in the game. +1 Luck and twice +1 to any stat.

It seems you would want to do more then shoot per round no?

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
Is it even possible to survive mid to lategame combat with melee or pistols?

Without having tried or gotten anywhere near it I am going to stake my rep on it and say unequivocally yes. In fact, I'm going to start a new game and go MA. Pistols is a given seeing as you can pistol and shield together and just look at the perk tree thing for both. MA seems like it should be the hardest though (just guessing as I don't know for certain, just looking at the system and perks).

I've been picking the high setting since normal doesn't explicity state it doesn't allow saving during combat. Does it? I'd rather do my first serious playthrough on normal but not if it allows saving during combat because that really means normal is storymode.

zapotec

Liturgist
Quick question, does increasing martial arts unlock new punches/kicks like in fallout 2? (Hammer Punch, Dragon kick etc.)

Sheepherder

Augur

Max AP is 10. 12 with the perk that gives you 2 more AP when you're below 50% HP, but that's risky and the perk is deep in melee tree. Rifles that have a 5 AP cost aimed shot do substantially less damage (something like 10-20 if I remember correctly) than the ones that cost 6 or 7 AP (25-40 @6 AP and 25-45 @7 AP but this one requires a reload after every shot and doesn't work with the scope perk). So 2 or 4 DEX is plenty and you'll do well even until you can get either of those rifles as most rifles have similar 6 or 7 AP costs. There may be better ones in the dead city or beyond, but as I said, I haven't found them yet.
Make it a crit build btw, rifles have +crit chance bonuses on them and rifle perks enhance your crits and crit rate.

tindrli

Arcane

that old hunter will give you an old rifle for picking a corn in his garden.. no ammo tho

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

Without having tried or gotten anywhere near it I am going to stake my rep on it and say unequivocally yes. In fact, I'm going to start a new game and go MA. Pistols is a given seeing as you can pistol and shield together and just look at the perk tree thing for both. MA seems like it should be the hardest though (just guessing as I don't know for certain, just looking at the system and perks).

I've been picking the high setting since normal doesn't explicity state it doesn't allow saving during combat. Does it? I'd rather do my first serious playthrough on normal but not if it allows saving during combat because that really means normal is storymode.

Shields are equipped in backbag slot. Doesn't matter whether your weapon is one or two handed I think.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space

Shields are equipped in backbag slot. Doesn't matter whether your weapon is one or two handed I think.

Really? That's just plain crazy. But, I haven't seen a shield yet so can't disagree.

bataille

Arcane
Pistols are totally viable during most of the game provided you don't go full retard with Fidel and Soviet Writer and make them gunners/snipers. Nagant just munches through early-mid game with its hordes of enemies if you have 10 dex, the -1 AP perk, and armour piercing rounds. It's five shots a turn... Just don't buy into shit like TT or Mauser. All you need is Nagant for long range and Scorpion/PPS for burst-firing at point blank range. Later on, desert eagle can replace nagant to do the same damage in 2 seconds instead of 6...

Although, it's cutting it real close. I haven't been able to battle my way through: the showdown with the bandits from the beginning of the game AND the battle with Syoma's gang in the container city. Tbh just do yourself a favour and plan to branch into automatic weapons. I love my desert eagle and all, but it's been painfully obvious for some time now that unless I get to using a machine gun/assault rifle, it's bye-bye city. You either dispose of gunners/grenadiers before they can act or you reload, it's as simple as that. No random chance or anything. You HAVE to kill that one bastard with RPK to get through the battle. Good luck doing that with a pistol (they have Soviet-grade bulletproof vests most of the time).

Although, to be fair, there's no way anything in the main quest is harder than Syoma's gang/showdown with the bandits/Death Crew battles. And they are barely possible with pistols/submachine guns as it is. I didn't have the patience to munch through the first two, though. So it's probably more than possible to finish the game with pistols (is 50 damage a turn really not enough? Do you really need those 100 damage bursts? Idk, the main quests may prove to be tough nuts to crack).

Whatever, just get an AK around the point you pick up a plasma rifle in Fallout, lmao. It's something like 10th level in both games. Save your nerves for more productive things.

Last edited:

Lhynn

Arcane
Yeah tbh unarmed is pointless, the damage is roughly the same as with a gun, but with a gun you have range. and some guns triple the damage while unarmed has nothing to compensate for that. Ill restart with a new character, a glutton lucky one with decent unarmed to carry me through early game and then ill pump automatic for endgame.

Atomboy could you include any way for the player to put their own custom portraits? it really is a must.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Sooo does the skill points in weapons only affect the "to hit chance" or do they affect damage and crits? Also i noticed that there is no difference between normal attacks and aimed/slashes. Even stabbing someone in the eye does the same damage as the normal attack.
I believe aimed attacks to the head/eye increase critical hit chance

All aimed shots add +crit chance. It's "to hit chance"/10. So at 99 thc you'd get +9.9% to crit chance.

Thanks Sheepherder. How does Luck influence crit chance based on the above example?

bataille

Arcane
Yeah tbh unarmed is pointless, the damage is roughly the same as with a gun, but with a gun you have range. and some guns triple the damage while unarmed has nothing to compensate for that. Ill restart with a new character, a glutton lucky one with decent unarmed to carry me through early game and then ill pump automatic for endgame.

Atomboy could you include any way for the player to put their own custom portraits? it really is a must.

You may want to screw around with custom made guns; it's pretty fun. They are more than sustainable from the very start and provide a pretty cool stepping stone to actual factory-made firearms. ;)

RegionalHobo

Scholar
Anyone managed to get the guys at Peregon's BBQ?

When I recite the lines, they get up and leave. No "official" inspection ever finds anything wrong with them, so the only way I can see of solving it is to let them go, or kill them all (but getting all of Peregon set against me).
Tried standing besides it at night, but I don't hear any sounds ever while checking, and I do have a high ATTN attribute.

you let them go, investigate the hideout, them they'll come back

as for the pistol discussion... two crafted revolver + plus that -1 perk gives me a lot of shots before having to reload. it actually did the job + stimpaks so far and i'm pretty far into the game. that said i'm using skill points in auto weapons just so i can have the same burst dmg but with the option of having a stimpak in one hand

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
The game really started out good, but I felt I missed a good amount of content in the first town, and can't quite figure out how to get it. There has to be more than what I got my two playthroughs of it. Like the mayor - everyone pointed to him for work, but after you fix the water thing he has nothing. Or is there more and I need higher skills to get? You'd figure he'd hint at it. Also, the weapons dealer has zero weapons for sale. I do my usually save/reload spam to steal everything I can't hold everything or sell back in a way that helps me. I did get a bunch of recipes from some guy so that helped get my inventory down. I left the first town and I'm not finding much and the inventory restrictions is really making exploration kind of self-defeating.

Is there a good way to store shit?
Is time a big factor at all? Can I store shit somewhere and not care about wasting time going back to it often?
I get a good amount of quests from the first city but can only complete two while there, is that right?

I don't want to look at a walkthrough or know about a walkthrough as usually once I find information from one it gets easier to go back instead of figuring shit out on your own. Getting these couple questions answered at the start will help me figure out if I am going about the whole thing wrong or worrying about shit I don't have to or can drastically change my build since pickpocketing nets me a lot of shit I can't use, carry, or need and I have a lot of money and nothing to spend it on.

Go to the bar and talk to Katya. By the way, the mayor of the town isn't the guy who gives you the water pump quest. It's the old man sitting on the couch in the shack with a safe, the one that's literally next to the village's perimeter. And yes you can store shit once you manage to rescue someone from the bandits' camp.

Stakhanov

Augur
As far as I know, there are only three melee weapons stronger than quality knives.
The first time I saw a Soviet knife was around character level 8 or 9 at the weapon dealer in KRS for 1.8k. The second strongest (Taiga machete) is nowhere to be seen yet. The strongest (Druzhba chainsaw) is possibly tied to a particular quest involving a stolen Lenin's statue, but I haven't completed it yet to verify.
Sadly, melee builds don't seem to be viable past hunting small critters. Not without some perks for free movement (of which there are none). You really need to kill at least one enemy a turn or you're pretty much dead. Better start getting ready to tote a gat, heh.
I managed to get a Soviet army knife for free by passing some kind of check. I think it might have been a dude playing with it in KZM docks, but I can't remember exactly where it was. Taiga machete can be found in a locker in a bunker, but there are so many containers in each endgame area I can't remember which one...Sorry I can't be more specific

Lhynn

Arcane
Honest question, why does even unarmed exist? anyone found a weapon better than the svinchatka?

Ein Axt

Educated
I had a couple of game updates from steam. Does anyone know where to read patch notes if there is any?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom