Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News WTF - Pillars of Eternity II is apparently getting a turn-based mode

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Obsidian Entertainment; Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire

Owners of Pillars of Eternity II who logged onto Steam this Thursday may have noticed the game receiving a mysterious 2GB patch. Those of them who happened to start a new playthrough with the patch were startled to discover the existence of a fully functional turn-based mode(!). Obsidian were quick to withdraw the patch, but it was too late. A Reddit user named raggnarok may have been the first to break the news, including screenshots (and there's a video too if you think these are photoshopped).

Those of you who remember our 2015 April Fools joke will find this news both amazing and hilarious. How much did Tim Cain know and when did he know it? Looks like inXile aren't the only ones splurging on that Microsoft cash! I guess it makes sense to put this together for the console release next year. If you'd like to know more, Codex Deadfire cultist Safav Hamon has done some datamining and figured out the details of how the game's mechanics will be adapted for turn-based gameplay. If you'd like to try it yourself, user Nryn has helpfully provided instructions for retrieving the revoked version from Steam. The patch also includes a completely new ship combat UI, so I guess Josh Sawyer really was working on that. When will this be released for real, you ask? Obsidian aren't talking. It's probably safe to assume we won't get any official answers until next year.

Bohr

Arcane
Codex jokes coming true again +M

Looking forward to the 'patching in some fun' update

jdinatale

Cipher
12:00 AM: I have tried every PC at my disposal and it blows my mind because turn-based mode just refuses to load.

3:00 AM: I have concluded that I must have received some sort of virus through my email. I have canceled all email accounts and reinstalled Windows 7 Ultimate x64. Turn-based mode still not loading.

4:30 AM: I'm running out of options here. There must be some glitch in the Windows 10 Ultimate x64 Operating System. Thanks Bill Gates. Switching to MAC OS X maybe this will prove effective.

9:00 AM: MAC OS X installation complete. I'm drawing a blank here. Turn-based mode still won't load. After ruling out software errors, I am convinced that there must be some lingering mechanical failure in my system. I have placed an order to newegg for rush delivery of a new Western Digital Caviar Black HDD. Will give this another shot later today.

12:00 PM: Harddrive has arrived and has been installed. To no avail, Turn-based mode will not load. I have not shaved or showered in a week. My clothes stink. I have lost my job...all because this confounded turn-based mode will not load. I'm done with the whole electronics thing. I will be moving into an Amish community and this will be my last update on this issue. Good luck and good riddance.

aratuk

Cipher

Suicidal

Arcane
Obsidian really don't want me to play their game it seems. I was waiting till they released all the DLCs before starting and was just about ready to and now this. I guess I'm waiting for another year then.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
Credit to Nryn for these screenshots

introl2el2.jpg

- Characters can only act on their turns.
- Recovery Time becomes "Initiative." Lower Initiative means acting earlier in a round
- Reload Time modifies "Initiative" and these weapons will reload between turns
- Spells with longer cast times will complete their cast at a later point in the turn order
- Dual Wield auto-attacks are now Full Attacks and no longer affect Recovery Time
- Durations are converted to last number of "rounds"
- Effects that tick, pulse or occur over time have had their potency scaled to match a per round value
- Magran's Challenge adds a time limit to turns instead of limiting pausing
- Party Member AI and Re-targeting are disabled

rules164c8v.jpg

rules2rvi2a.jpg

rules3mofox.jpg

rules4yic9s.jpg

spells91ej7.jpg

initiativemodifiershgc9t.jpg

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
Why would console players want turn-based? Wouldn't they more likely be in the opposite camp? Is it just that it's impossible to manage RTwP using a console controller rather than a mouse?

It's coming to a Nintendo console, which historically has had a large turn-based fanbase. There's also a shortage of quality turn-based games on PS4 and Xbox, so it's fulfilling a niche.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom