Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Age of Decadence is the best CRPG of the past 15 years

Deleted Member 22431

No offense mate, if that isn't pretentious I don't know what is.
You talk too much and obviously think too highly of yourself and your moral judgement. Not worth the hassle. As a wise man used to say: "Welcome to the hall of shame!"

hivemind

shut the fuck up and fuck off

literally you are obnoxious as fuck its hard to even defend AoD against the onslaughts of retards since it means sharing the side of the argument with you

merry chirstmas

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

literally you are obnoxious as fuck its hard to even defend AoD against the onslaughts of retards since it means sharing the side of the argument with you

merry chirstmas

Welcome to the club.

Goral, Politician (ex-Lurker King) basically take over any discussion about AoD. They are bottom of the barrel trolls which truly believe that any means are justified when the goal is to defend AoD from criticism. Honestly, they are shilling for AoD for years (also on multiple forums) therefore ... I simply don't know. It could be an act but maybe they have some real mental issues because there is no rational explanation for this. Unfortunately the Vault Dweller finds it funny and he encourages them instead of telling them to stop. So, here we are: the moment when even AoD's fans cannot take it anymore (because mental issues are not funny).

Black Angel is a more sophisticated troll which plays the balance card. Fundamentally he is not different from Goral and his sidekick because he is doing the same thing like them: he tries to entangle you with more "balanced" arguments but ultimately he defends AoD to death because that's what "balance" means. He even uses an Underrail portrait just to appear more "balanced" than them (they cornered the market !?)

Invictus Kit Walker even Humanity has risen! like the game but they are rational about it. They are like fresh air compared to the ones mentioned above.

Generic-Giant-Spider also likes AoD but spiders are too cool to hate
love.png

Last edited:

Black Angel

Arcane
Black Angel is a more sophisticated troll which plays the balance card. Fundamentally he is not different from Goral and his sidekick because he is doing the same thing like them: he tries to entangle you with more "balanced" arguments but ultimately he defends AoD to death because that's what "balance" means. He even uses an Underrail portrait just to appear more "balanced" than them (they cornered the market !?)
Now where's that goddamn tinfoil hat I've been keeping for moments like this....

Anyway, I just love cats, is all.

Unwanted

Micormic

Unwanted

merry chirstmas

Welcome to the club.

Goral, Politician (ex-Lurker King) basically take over any discussion about AoD. They are bottom of the barrel trolls which truly believe that any means are justified when the goal is to defend AoD from criticism. Honestly, they are shilling for AoD for years (also on multiple forums) therefore ... I simply don't know. It could be an act but maybe they have some real mental issues because there is no rational explanation for this. Unfortunately the Vault Dweller finds it funny and he encourages them instead of telling them to stop. So, here we are: the moment when even AoD's fans cannot take it anymore (because mental issues are not funny).

Invictus Kit Walker even Humanity has risen! like the game but they are rational about it. They are like fresh air compared to the ones mentioned above.

Generic-Giant-Spider also likes AoD but spiders are too cool to hate
love.png

Best post. I don't even dislike AOD but it has the most autistic fanbase lol.

Black Angel

Arcane
I can’t be the first person to say this, but isn’t AoD really a proof of concept for Iron Tower’s philosophy of CRPG design?
I would say yes, but then some people would simply argue against it. Rather than cRPG, they would say AoD is a proof of concept for Iron Tower's philosophy of CYOA design.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
I would say yes, but then some people would simply argue against it. Rather than cRPG, they would say AoD is a proof of concept for Iron Tower's philosophy of CYOA design.

The truth is that we have a very robust dialogue editor, in which you can do ANYTHING, so we took advantage of it to not limit ourselves to the small resources we had in animations and such. For example, I would have loved the Palace Infiltration to be a sequence with a stealth system like the one we are having in CSG.

The Great ThunThun*

How DARE you!?
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I can’t be the first person to say this, but isn’t AoD really a proof of concept for Iron Tower’s philosophy of CRPG design?

There is more to it than that. I am not sure if you know, but AoD was a project during the worst time for RPGs where real C&C had literally become unthinkable for even AAA games and Turn Based mechanics was considered Gauche and retrograde by most popular sources. AoD was that one ray of light that some of us clung to in the Age of Decadence of video games. It was really something some of us held to be worth waiting for until the Thursday.

And believe you me, AoD team had very lofty goals which from standards of the day and the toys they were playing with looked impossible. I can attest that they achieved all of them. A deep and difficult combat mechanic, great C&C and a lot of character options to choose from. Whether or not once agrees here, if the goals were really reached, I think the game actually suffered from the Kickstarter revival + XCOM revival, because this made Turn based game mechanic no longer a rare thing in gaming. In general, the Kickstarter revival took away a lot of glamour associated with AoD. It should really have been held as a great milestone but was buried under a shower or mediocre releases which had the same taglines, such as Wasteland 2, PoE etc.

Deleted Member 22431

There is more to it than that. I am not sure if you know, but AoD was a project during the worst time for RPGs where real C&C had literally become unthinkable for even AAA games and Turn Based mechanics was considered Gauche and retrograde by most popular sources. AoD was that one ray of light that some of us clung to in the Age of Decadence of video games. It was really something some of us held to be worth waiting for until the Thursday.

Remember this classic interview at Rock, Paper and Shotgun? Vault Dweller was brutal back then:

When you have time, Kieron, how about writing an article explaining the difference between RPGs and shooters to your audience? Or maybe an article mentioning that the first computer games were real-time, not turn-based, and disputing the popular opinion that RT is more advanced than TB? I mean, it’s nice that your site tries to attract morons and makes them feel at home, but shouldn’t you be educating them too? It wouldn’t take much to double their IQs, so if you want, I can give you a hand there.

And believe you me, AoD team had very lofty goals which from standards of the day and the toys they were playing with looked impossible. I can attest that they achieved all of them. A deep and difficult combat mechanic, great C&C and a lot of character options to choose from.
It is their first game too. They were all newbies. Not many people can make a game of that caliber in their first try.

Turn based game mechanic no longer a rare thing in gaming. In general, the Kickstarter revival took away a lot of glamour associated with AoD. It should really have been held as a great milestone but was buried under a shower or mediocre releases which had the same taglines, such as Wasteland 2, PoE etc.
Which is why this cRPG renascence thing is a lie. The games that took the media spotlight were made by veterans who never wanted to make traditional cRPGs in the first place. They milked our nostalgia, dumbed down the genre with shallow combat mechanics and C&C, and left many new players spoiled and confused. The real renascence is a silent one, and it revovles around a few titles that never got the accolades they deserve.

Last edited by a moderator:

Üstad

Arcane
I can get with that. The only game that felt like stealing and stealthing was satisfying was Thief for me. Most times thievery feels kind of gimmicky (the pickpocketing and such primarily) and tends to be more hassle than it's worth. So many RPGs tend to put thieves in the assassin style role by default where they can sneak up and get an insane backstab critical but don't really explore many things that would make them a thief.

The assassin style is "okay" but it feels like an easy way out for a class that can offer a totally different playstyle in and out of combat. I understand why they do it though since it'd be tons of work to really try and nail the feel of.

Personally, I liked Kingdom Come Deliverance's approach to stealing skills such as lockpicking and pickpocketing. It's probably my favourite in-game interpretation in quite a long time come to think of it.

Thieving was great in Skyrim as well. People who only play sword+shield characters and screamed "Skyrim combat suuuuuuucks" never figured out, but Skyrim has actually a great stealth implementation. Light matters, positioning matters, sound matters, positioning of sound matters. Exactly like Thief... Playing a stealthy thief/assassin with daggers only (get away from here, you stealth archer faggots, daggers or bust) is one of the most enjoyable steatlh experiences ever, in any game.
You can hide in plain sight even if you are not invisible. Sound don't matters too much, all you need perks and despite falmer are blind they can 'see' you when you stay up and won't hear their fellows getting butchered despite they have much capable ears.

Also NPCs are hiveminds when they survive a sneak attack all NPCs in same faction with certain radius IMMEDIATELY hear your attack despite no alarm or shouting whatsoever. The AI is LITERALLY a FUCKING HIVEMIND. Wow so much stealth

I wonder if OP still thinks the same after the high of just beating the game has worn off. It's hardly the best RPG of the past 15 years. It's a very good CYOA but does that make it "the" best RPG? I should not think so.

barghwata

Savant
AoD really boils down to just a series of dialogs, skills checks and random combat encounters (when you fail the skill checks) and it's not like you even have choice since you are forced to conform and follow the specific path laid out by the develepper for your specific charachter build.
it's best described as a much more restrictive version of a visual novel/CYOA game mixed with some rpg elements and turn based combat in between.

Deleted Member 22431

what is the best starting build for assasin? want to replay, don't want to stuck.
Dagger builds with critical strike and dodge are usual.

PER and DEX are a must.

Make sure you use all the different attacks to profit from the dagger.

Poison and stealth make the whole experience so much fun.

The rest is up to you.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom