Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News WTF - Pillars of Eternity II is apparently getting a turn-based mode

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
dGfgjZH.gif

Quillon

Arcane
Tim Cain didn't have shit to do with this. It's all Josh Sawyer.

Although interestingly, this system is very different from the one in the PnP prototype except for the same AP mechanic.

Didn't Sawyer take a break from Pillows back in summer? How do you know its all Sawya?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Yes, Arcanum was the only game with both combat modes that turned out bad. Fallout: Tactics and X-Com Apocalypse are beloved classics.
There's a key thing that all these games have in common in that the turn-based and real-time modes were both implemented simultaneously and on the usual time-compressed RPG development schedule. This is not like that.

The removal of the illusion of strategic gameplay also resulted in the removal of trash fights whose presence is there to whittle down your resources, so I don't know what some of these people here are on about. Perhaps individual combat encounters may have more combatants involved than you'd prefer, but there's nothing to say they wouldn't have designed battles like that anyway ("It's too slow" doesn't ever appear to be a consideration with regard to any turn-based RPG).

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy

Although interestingly, this system is very different from the one in the PnP prototype except for the same AP mechanic.

Didn't Sawyer take a break from Pillows back in summer? How do you know its all Sawya?

He's developing the PnP game. And even though this is different from the prototype, some things like the AP mechanic are taken from it.

Sentinel

Arcane

He's developing the PnP game. And even though this is different from the prototype, some things like the AP mechanic are taken from it.
sorry but sawyer didn't invent the AP action system

I'd take this as good news, but with two major reservations:

- It's hard to not be skeptic about the overall quality of something just tackled on as a last-minute side project.
- I bet that's going to be a mess with overall balance. Turn-based is more than a change of pace, it fundamentally alters how abilities can be used, how effective they can be, etc. I'd fully expect some overpowered builds to become trash and vice-versa.

Deleted Member 22431

"It's too slow" doesn't ever appear to be a consideration with regard to any turn-based RPG.
Of course it is, Roguey. This is one of the main complaints about turn-based combat since forever. The larger the number of combatants, the longer it drags on.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
When I first saw PoE combat, I couldn't help but think that many of the mechanics where made with turn-based combat in mind (like the Attacks of Opportunity), and too many abilities for a RT game. I hope they release this, will definitely play it.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Yes, Arcanum was the only game with both combat modes that turned out bad. Fallout: Tactics and X-Com Apocalypse are beloved classics.
There's a key thing that all these games have in common in that the turn-based and real-time modes were both implemented simultaneously and on the usual time-compressed RPG development schedule. This is not like that.

The removal of the illusion of strategic gameplay also resulted in the removal of trash fights whose presence is there to whittle down your resources, so I don't know what some of these people here are on about. Perhaps individual combat encounters may have more combatants involved than you'd prefer, but there's nothing to say they wouldn't have designed battles like that anyway ("It's too slow" doesn't ever appear to be a consideration with regard to any turn-based RPG).
Behead those who insult apocalypse.

Shilandra

Learned
So will this be able to be implemented for existing save games?

And what does this mean for Vela? Can we now see who is targeting her so we can preemptively withdraw her?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Temple of Elemental Evil's concurrent turns option.
There are folks who will say that's still not good enough because of the combat animations, and there's still quite a few long battles in there on account of the numbers. It took me over an hour to kill the balor.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Obsidian you magnificent bastards! It's clear that the block to TB was the evil pretender MCA and a lack of cash. The first left long ago, and now the spice cash has flowed to allow for this incline to be implemented.

:kfc:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom