Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout Fallout 1 & 2: bugs, fixes, and versions

McPlusle

Savant
I've never finished Fallout 1 and I've only played a tiny bit of Fallout 2. My most recent attempt to finish 1 was cut short by a bug in the mutant base that rendered the main quest unbeatable (using the radio on the computer to turn off the emitters did nothing despite a text prompt telling me it worked, then all of the emitters stopped responding when trying to interact with them directly). At that point, I remembered that the Steam version of the first two Fallout games also includes an older "classic" build which I believe is the same as the original CD-ROM releases. Are those more stable? Should I install a usermade fix pack (such as Fixt) or do those take any "creative liberties" that I'd rather avoid?

Codex Year of the Donut
get the latest sfall for fallout 2 and make sure you install the script to automatically open doors

typical user

Arbiter
I've never finished Fallout 1 and I've only played a tiny bit of Fallout 2. My most recent attempt to finish 1 was cut short by a bug in the mutant base that rendered the main quest unbeatable (using the radio on the computer to turn off the emitters did nothing despite a text prompt telling me it worked, then all of the emitters stopped responding when trying to interact with them directly). At that point, I remembered that the Steam version of the first two Fallout games also includes an older "classic" build which I believe is the same as the original CD-ROM releases. Are those more stable? Should I install a usermade fix pack (such as Fixt) or do those take any "creative liberties" that I'd rather avoid?

Fallout Fixit for Fallout 1.
Restoration Project for Fallout 2.

Don't listen to old fags, if they could they would be living in caves and fear fire because it wasn't part of human creation.

For forcefields - use tools or repair from your Skilldex to disable them for a short time without an alarm. Or plant explosives right next to them to permanetly shut them down. Depending on your feat you will attract lots of angry green men but at this point you should have enough gear to wage a war against their stronghold.

McPlusle

Savant
For forcefields - use tools or repair from your Skilldex to disable them for a short time without an alarm. Or plant explosives right next to them to permanetly shut them down. Depending on your feat you will attract lots of angry green men but at this point you should have enough gear to wage a war against their stronghold.
Oh, yeah, I'm well-armed enough now to where fighting them is a cakewalk. The issue is that using repair on the forcefields shows the "doing something" animation but nothing happens and there's also no text prompt telling me I failed to do anything.

Black Angel

Arcane
You can use this instead of Fixt for Fallout 1 since the currently available version have questionable features atm
agris said:
Fixt is definitely still in beta, I’m not surprised to hear about the Mariposa bug. There’s also some questionable changes made in the base fixes only version, such as starting the player with a flamer, laser pistol, or lockpick if they tag the requisite skills. The guy who made fixt even acknowledges this, but fixt updates have been MIA for several years.

That plus the likely prevalence of other game changing alterations in the same vein as starting with advanced weapons, makes me recommend against it.

The best FO1 experience, especially if you haven’t played in a while, is TeamX’s 1.3.5. Use the NPC mod if you want, but the game will be easier. Add crafy’s sfall for shift for highlight, and Mash’s patch to play in fullscreen 960x540, which is how it should be played on modern 16:9 screens.

All this is in my signature links. Avoid the RP/Wasteland Ghost stuff unless you want a much more punishing and slightly buggier version. I wouldn’t recommend it based on the OP’s post.

EDIT:

Fallout 1 + v1.2.1 RC + TeamX v1.3.5 + (optional) v1.3.5 NPC mod + sfall + hi rez mod.

You can install 1.2.1 on top of all releases afaik, except perhaps the steam one. I don’t remember, check the forums.
However, if you're willing to wait, Sduibek is back and currently working on new release of Fixt that has actual Purist version with no questionable feature (like giving characters with tagged Energy Weapon a Laser Pistol at the start, for example).

For Fallout 2, fire up Restoration Project away.

Tse Tse Fly

Savant
So should one use Restoration Project for the first Fallout 2 playthrough? If not, why?

zool

Arcane
So should one use Restoration Project for the first Fallout 2 playthrough? If not, why?

It's a purists vs. content-hungry pragmatists issue.

If you think you'll have the opportunity and the will to replay the game after your first playthrough, then go with just the Unofficial Patch and keep the Restoration Project for subsequent playthroughs.
If you think you'll likely only have time for one playthrough, then I would say yes, use the Restoration Project, you'll get even more mostly quality content, even though some of the restorations are a little below the rest of the game's standards.

typical user

Arbiter

I'd say everyone should. Fallout 2 feels goofy and missing some parts. With Restoration Project you will play the definitive version of the game. Everything will have a closure and the game will be closer to Fallout 1 in some parts. People say it is below original content in terms of quality and logic but to me it is still good; only Cassidy voice feels forced to sound cool with low quality mic.

I don't know if you played the game but to avoid spoilers let's just say the last settlement before you embark for your final fight is more fleshed out, the endings make sense and you are better guided to your main objective. One of the companions has a personal story which was a mystery you couldn't finish, one quest in New Reno involving a character hiding from head of crime mob can now be located without referring to wiki. You can even get rid now of thieves in one town who were notorious for stealing your favourite weapons or quest items and forcing you to re-buy them when at first playthrough most players are scraping for coin.

Also the game is better balanced - you are no longer invincible in endgame and bandits with Gauss Rifles can shred you to pieces. The difference starts of at the end of first half of the game as you will notice you are dealing devastaing amounts of damage with your first 5.56 weapon.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
One advice.

Don't use Fallout 2 Megamod, new locations are uninteresting to say the least, poorly placed and it adds bugs (Marcus, forcefields, ... )

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom