Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
One controversial exception is that the floating damage numbers can't be turned off, but that's about it.
damage numbers can't be turned off
WHAT?! I didn't expected any miracle from this game, but refusing to give a choice to remove these ugly numbers from screen is like nail in coffin. I mean, what is going on in their heads? Are they went nuts or something? I can't imagine casual or hardcore player who would be pleased by floating numbers, even EA with their army of shit eaters fanboys was heavily criticized for it in their shit-game Anthem, because it's fucking looks awful. And there comes studio with audience in 100 times less than EA and making single-player game (very risky business nowadays). Did they paid by Bethesda to compromise an idea of first person shooter? Because if game will bomb every retard publisher will think that game sell poorly "cuz it's fps RPG" and not because ugly numbers of damage. Now short explanation (from my point of view) why numbers is bad idea for first-person RPG:
1) People who like immersion in RPG and retro-futuristic setting will be pissed even more, because "floating numbers of damage" doesn't add any immersion, it's look out of picture.
2) People who likes combat will butthurt because screen will be overbloated with useless information (because person, who interested in combat, doesn't need floating numbers to understand fits his weapon a situation or not; good damage or not and etc.)
3) People with sensitive eyes will have headache from over9000 colorful fountains of numbers.
Maybe something wrong with me, but I can't imagine person who seriously would say "I like combat in this game, because floating numbers of damage is useful in combat and help me feel immersed in retro-futuristic setting!" This game design decision is fucking unnecessary, what kind of goal devs would pursue with this shit?

Or maybe I don't know something and some people have orgasms from floating numbers, but still it's not nice that others can't disable this shit.

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut
For some fucking reasons I can't fix a font size in my comment, wtf.
select the text, click the remove formatting button
neR5v0r.png

Duraframe300

Arcane
Fuck.

The Outer Worlds needed Sawyer earlier in development. Say what you want but he clearly has an understanding of what makes a good shooter, considering the mechanics he pushed in New Vegas, the design philosophy in JSawyer Mod (notably low base hp and minimal scaling) and him being a fan of the STALKER franchise. He would not have let this game become a Borderlands clone, but now it is too late.

Well, they did it already in Bloodlines so that might have been more of an influence.

Apart from asthetics I don't really get the Borderlands/Bioshock comparisons.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Floating numbers are in Cyberpunk 2077 too. What are these developers even thinking?

a) A subset of people think it looks awesome (e.g. Tim and his Borderlands)
b) For some people, it disguises the lack of hit feedback animations, though I doubt this will be the case in Cyberpunk (I haven't looked at it)
c) It's an easy way of delivering precise feedback of how much damage you're doing. A health bar only gives you approximate damage, though honestly that's good enough for most people (including Beth fans; no floating numbers in Skyrim or Bethout).

Well, they did it already in Bloodlines so that might have been more of an influence.

You can turn 'em off in Bloodlines, though I wouldn't since there's no other way of telling how much damage you're doing to anything that isn't a boss with a visible health bar.

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist
Nothing really, its basically saying what we already know. One controversial exception is that the floating damage numbers can't be turned off, but that's about it.
Otherwise, expect Fallout.

(That said the writer of the article doesn't make the most professional impression either, imo. Typical Vidya journalist.)
Will there be mods?

Duraframe300

Arcane

You can turn 'em off in Bloodlines, though I wouldn't since there's no other way of telling how much damage you're doing to anything that isn't a boss with a visible health bar.

Thats pretty much the reason given if I'm reading correctly between the lines (well except here you have the health bar as well so it doesn't make much sense). Hopefully they reconsider.

Would be interesting for them to clarify.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Thats pretty much the reason given if I'm reading correctly between the lines (well except here you have the health bar as well so it doesn't make much sense). Hopefully they reconsider.

I don't get it. They asked Obsidian who said "No, we're not adding that option ever", or did they just note its absence in the current build? Because it's kind of early right now.

Duraframe300

Arcane

I don't get it. They asked Obsidian who said "No, we're not adding that option ever", or did they just note its absence in the current build? Because it's kind of early right now.

I'll translate:

*You can't disable them yet: Obsidian considers them to be an important feature to show the player charachter progression as well as your weapons efficency.*

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
I'll translate:

*You can't disable them yet: Obsidian considers them to be an important feature to show the player charachter progression as well as your weapons efficency.*

If it still can't be disabled after the game's released, it'll probably be added in a patch after people complain about it.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Given the health bars on everything the truth is likely closer to "b) For some people, it disguises the lack of hit feedback animations"

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist

I'll translate:

Now, how do we force obsidians hand into adding in proper modding support?

Butter

Arcane
Patron

I'll translate:

If Deadfire is any indication, you refuse to buy the game and then Obsidian jump the incline train after it launches.

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist
If Deadfire is any indication, you refuse to buy the game and then Obsidian jump the incline train after it launches.
Sounds like a plan to me.
You can't, because UE4 makes it difficult.
I expect performance, not excuses. If obsidian want to be the new trend setters who depose bethesda and take over their place, it was too difficult isn't good enough.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I expect performance, not excuses. If obsidian want to be the new trend setters who depose bethesda and take over their place, it was too difficult isn't good enough.
Given their console success, mods are really only a small part of Bethesda's success. They already give the people what they want.

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist
Given their console success, mods are really only a small part of Bethesda's success. They already give the people what they want.
Modding is the backbone of Bethesdas success.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Making The Outer Worlds moddable is a bit like making Pillars of Eternity turn-based. If they want to, they can probably get there eventually (not necessarily in this particular game).

Kem0sabe

Arcane
If mods were essential to the success of an rpg, the more games would support them on consoles, both console makers allow them, and Microsoft even goes as far as allowing 1:1 versions of pc mods.

The reality is that only morrowind and fallout 4 have an extensive selection of mods on consoles.

Obsidian really needs to step up their game on consoles, make something polished at release, and shit like not having hit reactions (as roguey points out), having an intrusive and non optional UI, shit and clunky combat, outdated graphics, will only harm the outer worlds chances at making an impact.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom