Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Dusk, by New Blood Interactive: a frenetic FPS inspired by olDoom and Quake (2017)

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So I bought this game expecting to kill stuffs in break neck speed.

Got a bunch of jumpscares that made my cowardly ass jump out of seat instead.

:incline:

Homecoming was indeed super gimmicky but damned if I didn't have fun with it anyway. Episode 3 does seem to be the hardest of the episodes (Those flying polyps do a bunch of damage, and I've had a skinny zombie guy kill me in one hit at 100 armor and life even though that seems like a fluke) but it's pretty enjoyable. Still feeling really positive about the game and would certainly still recommend it but something feels a little off and I can't quite put my finger on it. Maybe not quite enough texture variety in the levels? I'm pretty sure it's something to do with the levels that isn't sitting well with me, and it's minor since I'm not even sure what the fuck it is, just feels a smidge wrong.

I also finally started using the crossbow more. Dunno why but I mostly ignored it in the first two episodes since the hunting rifle seemed better for when I wanted to snipe, but I've gotten tight on ammo a few times in episode 3 which made me use it more, and then there have been a few fights that benefit greatly from using it.

Zenith

Arbiter
I don't get the hard-on for Ep3 in this thread. It's gimmicky, then very gimmicky, then copy-paste (giving the impression that the dev ran out of time and/or inspiration). Overall fine, but nowhere near the level of Ep2.

Aside from that though, does anyone here follow the devs closely? What's the status on modding? I've seen the sticky on steam forums, but it could all be outdated.

Curratum

Modding and quite likely coop are coming in the first half of 2019. A different guy is working on the mod kit, editor and scripting included.

ColCol

Arcane
Games Good, really good. Best of all it does not wear out its welcome like many FPS games. My only problem so far has been enemy visual design is lackluster (which is strange given how well they utilize there engine for everything else) and bosses are easy/forgettable.

Israfael

Arcane
Got it yesterday (saw it on the Metokur's stream), played it for an hour, it's really great for a one-man made game. Kinda surprised that the mainstream press warmly received this game, considering all of them whined about difficulty in PF:KM and did not understand Pray and P: Mooncrash.

Curratum

Fair enough. I never really use my phone for anything but calls and photos so I am not aware of the perils of trying to type on a tiny screen.

Curratum

He put them there because it's expected of a game like this to have bosses. He just hates designing them and is not too keen on most of his designs.

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
He put them there because it's expected of a game like this to have bosses. He just hates designing them and is not too keen on most of his designs.
Funnily enough, the bosses in DUSK probably have the most thought and effort put into them of any FPS (except for Metroid Prime which is so far removed from your standard FPS). Some of them, anyways.

The E2 final boss plays like a first-person Bomberman and could have been more greatly expanded upon as it is really tense the first time around but easy once you figure out how it works, the E3M9 boss rush is a fucking bullet hell, and the E3 "final" boss is the closest thing you'll get to a proper doppelganger fight in an FPS. They're still mediocre, and all of them are too painfully easy, but some of them do show more promise than "shoot at and run circles around it until it dies"-bulletsponge type bosses, some boring summoner-type boss or some puzzle gimmick boss like the true final boss of DUSK.

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Jesus christ that Homecoming level

l0tePb.gif

The best FPS in recent years has 4 letters in its title and starts with "D". Joke on you if you think it released in 2016 :positive:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Why couldn't John Romero over all these years come up with something like that?

Because he ain't that great. He has some talent but with Doom and Quake it was a case of him being there at the right time in the right place. Can't even expect him to have his heart in the right place anymore which would be the least thing for him.

Curratum

I can almost understand doubting his talent and current ability to produce anything of similar quality right now, but unlike many other developers, recent Underworld Ascendant dumpster fire included, he actually understands his craft and KNOWS what made his early games great.

He's about to release a new full Doom 1 episode in a month and previously he put out 2 separate Doom maps. Even after 25 years, he knows EXACTLY what makes Doom tick and why the game turned out so good. There was a video I cant't find right now that was him playing through the first of those two levels, explaining his design process and goals and ideas for each section as he went along. This man knows super-well what makes Doom work and what is fun in the engine and platform.

He's also the most positive, upbeat and fun guy I've seen among gamedevs, which really makes it seem disingenuous to say his heart is not in the right place.

Israfael

Arcane
Errant signal praising the game? But what about muh ludonarrative dissonance and other first grade literary major shticks ?:roll:

Israfael

Arcane
It is actually playable on an Atom-based tablet with single channel RAM and integrated GPU, so even unity did not make it completely unplayable on weak PCs

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom