Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter ATOM RPG - Wasteland Soviet style! - now with Dead City update

Will you back?

• I will consider it!

Votes: 39 54.9%
  • No! I would never!..

Votes: 9 12.7%
  • kingcomrade

Votes: 23 32.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Martyr

Arcane
that's true. I stopped my second playthrough of Witcher 3 after 4 hours and uninstalled it, because I couldn't bear playing that game watching that movie a second time.

someone tell me when there's a DRM free version of ATOM. until then, I'll pass.

IIRC early access version was completely DRM-free even on Steam. Maybe this is true for a release version too? You can just copy game folder and launch it from anywhere even without running Steam.
I don't know. somebody who owns the game would have to try and report back.
if that was possible, I would actually buy it. steam is DRM in itself, but I also don't have backups of every game on gog, so that would be kind of similar.

Quillon

Arcane
The game has so much content and its great and all but pacing in the city sucks, yo. After a *long* while I'm like a little less conversation a little more action, please. Got so many new quests, overwhelmed as fuck.(inb4 pace yourself you faggot!)

On the bright side gameworld is alive, its nice maps gets new visitors(even in real time) in addition to npc schedules and stuff. I wonder if these things scripted or *chance* occurrences? That if those NPCs are actually roaming the gameworld?

On QoL side; 1 or more rows on inventory, at least on players side and an auto match price with rubles button could be nice.

Last edited:

Feyd Rautha

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
So I have this old hunting rifle equipped. It's recommended that you have 5 in strength to use it but I've dumped that stat to 3. Is there a penalty for not fulfilling the strength requirement while using rifles?

So I have this old hunting rifle equipped. It's recommended that you have 5 in strength to use it but I've dumped that stat to 3. Is there a penalty for not fulfilling the strength requirement while using rifles?
I reckon that the accuracy goes down, at least in my experience.

Feyd Rautha

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
20181226141638-1.jpg

Must be an attempt to make fun of Bethesdas writing, right?

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
The more I see of this game, the more I think
  1. Fallout and Fallout 2 reached near perfection.
  2. Why didn't more devs copy its user interface? It's so good.
For a long time people would say "if you like the classic Fallouts, play Wasteland 2". At last there's a game that one can properly recommend for a classic Fallout experience.

I also love all the unique portraits, even moreso because they match the characters (I only found one exception, a random encounter of three paranoid characters where their leader looked vastly different both in clothes, hairstyle and face than his portrait) and the background they appear in features in the portraits as well. This is something I was vocal of in the production of this game and something that really annoyed me from Wasteland 2.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Must be an attempt to make fun of Bethesdas writing, right?
When i had this NPC conversation i was curious how much the INT check is...maybe 2-3.

The more I see of this game, the more I think
  1. Fallout and Fallout 2 reached near perfection.
  2. Why didn't more devs copy its user interface? It's so good.
For a long time people would say "if you like the classic Fallouts, play Wasteland 2". At last there's a game that one can properly recommend for a classic Fallout experience.

I also love all the unique portraits, even moreso because they match the characters (I only found one exception, a random encounter of three paranoid characters where their leader looked vastly different both in clothes, hairstyle and face than his portrait) and the background they appear in features in the portraits as well. This is something I was vocal of in the production of this game and something that really annoyed me from Wasteland 2.
Finally we have Fallout 3,it is shame the codex is filled with a bunch of new wave posers. There is like 10 people here that enjoy the game while nu obsidian popamole shooter have 50 retards praising it. Ahhh true RPG fans are rarity even on such forum as this.
:negative:

@ItsChon,you were saying that have more of a classical taste in rpg,have you tried it?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
On another note,i am really sad i can't marry the girl from the castle....really beautiful pic. Would mind taking such chick in real life too.

dCLkZ5a.png

At least i got to bone her in the game:)

Also did anyone manage to fuck the chick from the first village? She always says come later.

bataille

Arcane
"1) I am a combatfag. That means i enjoy gameplay, you know, the reason we actually play video games instead of reading novels or watching films. I enjoy a good story as much as anyone, but a good story cannot save a garbage game. If the game is garbage, i am watching the story in a movie version on Youtube or just reading about it on a wiki. Life is too short for garbage gameplay."

"I like Witcher 3."

One thing i learned about autists and spergs, is that they don't understand the concept of non-binary situations. They see everything in black and white.

Listen, just because someone is a combatfag, does not mean he cannot enjoy one of the best examples of storyfag RPGs. The Witcher 3 is not a simple game, it is one of the best. Even farm simulator fans can enjoy it... Prefering a certain type of game does not preclude you from playing well-designed games of another type. It just means you typically avoid the lesser games of that type...

Also, enjoying a certain type of game, does not mean you enjoy every game of that type. For example, enjoying action adventure games does not mean you enjoy playing Superman 64. You may like a type of game, but still it has to be good for you to wanna play it...

I hope autists can understand better now that i explained it.

Why don't you stick with games that farmers enjoy, then?

ATOM's scenario is probably the closest thing to literature from the past years of video games. Not because it tells a story but because of its intertextual qualities, how it relates to texts and plays with them. As I've said before, I can definitely see how in the future this game may be taught in universities as an example of kinda art brute postmodernism in the artless wasteland that is video games. Perhaps they will even frame it as a work in the vein of Bakthin's theory of carnivalesque. Sure, it's not as monocled in terms of postmodern intertextuality as to cite Sasha Sokolov's Palisandriya, Mikhail Berg's Ross i ya, or Andrei Bitov's Pushkin House, but some stealth citations from this gentleman are probably the most intellectual thing you, TemplarGR, are going to see in your whole entertainment-filled life. Only if I pointed it out for you, of course.

////////////////////////////

Anyway, for fairness sake, I'll say it: ATOM RPG is a hard game to enjoy on the same terms other games can be enjoyed (witcher 3). If you are not a particular person that wants literal fallout 1 (the shallow, yet satisfying, level of appreciating ATOM), you will definitely need to frantically look for the right approach since mechanically and design-wise it's one hell of a bumpy ride for the uninitiated. Properly contextualizing the game's systems helps frame the experience without much tears, blood, and sweat shed.

While it's understandable that it can be hard to wrap your head around how such pieces work conceptually ('LOL it's fallout 1' is probably the most common insight from geniuses with 10 int and att), posts a-la TemplarGR's are detestable on the same level as dummies' walls of texts on how 'bad' pynchon, joyce, auster, ellis, and the array of other authors whose texts require (!) you (!!!) to have a rich background (!!!!!) in reading (!!!!!!!) what the humanity has written previously (!!!!!!!!!!!!) are.

It's not embarrassing not to understand; gloating about not understanding is.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Finally we have Fallout 3,it is shame the codex is filled with a bunch of new wave posers. There is like 10 people here that enjoy the game while nu obsidian popamole shooter have 50 retards praising it. Ahhh true RPG fans are rarity even on such forum as this.
:negative:

Games like Fallout, Arcanum, Wasteland 2 and ATOM do make me realize I'm not so much an "RPG fan" as I am a fan of this specific type of RPGs. Something like the Gold Box games, as much as I like making autistic lists of games I want to play, are not something I would actually enjoy. But these kind of games that have the perfect mix between combat and roleplaying are just my thing. It is a shame that there are not that many of these games around.

tindrli

Arcane
fantadomat im 99% certain she is a boy.
i just dont give a fuck. and to be honest im having a blast with this game. the only thing that i dont like is god damn camera but fuck it. someone mentioned HOME button so its vastly better now.
i miss journal proper one.. the one that i can write notes.
quest screen could be easily improved.
aiming shoots as well.
i love writing. for a change is easily written. short enough with ordinary words and not walls and walls of text that after 2 or 3 minutes a one realize that nothing is been told. in short GREAT GAME!

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
6PZ4uSH.jpg

VyhJKIb.jpg

lhPgMuX.jpg

Proof that game journos and SJWs don't play games, otherwise they'd have ripped Comrade Atomboy a new one
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

tindrli

Arcane
btw bros. im level 4. im nowhere near of being able to withstand an attack of one human not to mentioned more. ingame the bandit leader sended me to find what happen to his mens.
i went to a river beach to find out that there were 4 bandits... i didn't stand a first attack.. where to go when one is level 4? bunker?some other place?
ah, also where do you bros hide your staff that you don't need right now?

Quillon

Arcane
That first screen... mayor & his daughter were also gossiping about the player; "- what a curious fella, asking about everything... - I know right?" etc. Self deprecation is everywhere in the game :D

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Is there a bug in Death Tunnel?
Dead stalker claims he written the code on wall but when I type 8696 or 0696 the doors won't open.

Also Comrade bataille must smoke some capitalist weed the story of ATOM RPG is not as complicated nor contrive its Fallout1 with some Russian folklore added (Lechy) and Lovecraftian themes still enjoyable but its not modern high art fagottery just well written hero journey monomyth. Also is Hexagon allusion to Solzhenitsyn and Pasternak?

Edit Yes the first number is 9 bit hard to see in dark tunnel.

Last edited:

Atomboy

Atom Team
Developer
Hey guys! Sorry for visiting you less and less. Turns out releasing a game doesn't affect your free time!

NerdCommando should have kept his cool. I also understand where he is coming from, and as he says at the very beginning of the vid ''this is the kind of game that he loves'' (I am paraphrasing), thus the breakdown was hard.
People seem to forget how cool Fallout 1&2 were in term of character progression. And I only see how ATOM could have been a better with a deeper/smarter character creation and development.
/anyway

p.s: I am still trying to find out where that last follower is,
I am not talking about ?Lena?, but the last follower that was added to the game.
Any pointer?
If you mean Alexander, there are three things you must do: 1. Meet the 3 worm guys (do whatever), build a few Citadel buildings, have high Personality. ALexander just walks into the Red Fighter when he feels like it.
The bunkers here aren't that bad, am I right?
Some can get really intricate! Like that last one! We have players thinking its actually broken (it's not)
In Dead City, at some point during a random encounter against shadows and bandits, one of the shadows started spewing its cries a few dozen of times every second, putting my computer to a halt. Had to reload, sadly.
That's weird and creepy. Told the guys.

Its kind of sad how cheap this game is selling for compared to the tripe that all the dumb kids like that has no depth or complexity and nothing to offer beyond superficial graphics. Would anyone that bought it not been willing to pay $40 for it? I've barely gotten into it and I feel that at $40 it would still have been underpriced.
Pricing a game is a difficult decision. It's from a developer that never released a game prior in a country that is fairly well known for flooding Steam with a lot of garbage.
Selling it cheaper accomplishes two things: lowers the bar of entry, and increases its propagation via word of mouth. Both are important for the reasons stated above.

If they release a sequel it would be a good idea to charge more for it.

I'm having a real hard time finishing the first town happily. I'm about to start my fifth build and I think I can make it perfect for me this time. I thought I had my speechcraft up high enough but I missed some things I got in past playthroughs. It is very tempting to trying and cheat by reading guides or whatever to better plan on what is coming up but that rabbit hole will just ruin everything for me.

I do have one question though - there is a lock I can't pick (says I can't break it or something) - am I right in thinking it needs a lockpick? I've tried messing around with mats trying to make one but no luck so far. Or is lockpicking 100% skill based with no LPs and I just need to keep pumping and hit this lock later? If I can make a lockpick please just tell me yes or no without telling me what mats I need.

Its kind of sad how cheap this game is selling for compared to the tripe that all the dumb kids like that has no depth or complexity and nothing to offer beyond superficial graphics. Would anyone that bought it not been willing to pay $40 for it? I've barely gotten into it and I feel that at $40 it would still have been underpriced.

That's mostly the thing. Seeing things that go for more than 20 eur nowadays pains my heart, but we did what we did so that more people, especially more people in Slav countries could play Atom. We really wanna prove ourselves in the industry and share our vision with as much people as we can. Like, next time I'll pop over with a Kickstarter, at least 10% people would be like Oh, i know this dude, he made Atom, right? Atom was pretty cool, until that combat part when I gave up on the game and sent them a bad review! Making games is everything for us right now!

And what did you mean with finishing it happily? First time you're there won't let you comlete the settlement quest. There are still elections and talks and badi
Is this game going on GoG? Its too late to matter now since I already bought it but I'm still butthurt about Steam's promotion of totalitarian moderation and I am trying to completely cut them out, but its hard when almost none of the good games are released on GoG. I hope this changes when those two new platforms come out and steam gets sunk for being NAZI Stalinists censorship loving jerks.
I'm speaking with the boss of the boss of the first person on GOG I contacted, so I guess info is close at hand.

Question about a quest at the farm on the eastern side of the map

The guy thinks his wife is cheating on him and mentioned the name of a guy, but I found a ring in her cupboard and I can present it to him to end the quest but this seems too easy... is there actually someone in the city I can talk to (the accused?) or is it as simple as the ring?
The choise here is - give the ring to him, keep the ring, or give the ring to her.
If you give the ring to him, don't forget to return to this settlement later, you terrible monster.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom