Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Year's Resolution: I won't waste time with shit RPGs in 2019

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I have some free time around the holidays and I've been catching up on undeniably good games which I have been putting off for when I have time - Underrail (my second run, first one of the full game), Battle Brothers (adding the DLC kicked things off for me).

I've been observing how much easier playing goes, and how quickly hours pass when the actual gameplay is good. No amount of production values, voiceovers, face animations, etc, can compensate for good gameplay, good combat, and exploration. I'm coming to the conclusion that I've been giving too much time to better marketed and prettier-looking but much more shallow games, and this has not been a good tradeoff in terms of the experience I've been getting.

In the meantime, a significant backlog of excellent RPGs has been amassing, which are eother complete, or will be in a peak playable condition in 2019. So, I'll make it an objective in 2019 to give more time to those RPGs that deserve it:
  • Underrail
  • Age of Decadence (at least complete my 2nd playthrough)
  • Battle Brothers
  • Pathfinder: Kingmaker (people say it's already playable, but I'd rather wait until some time into 2019)
  • Kingdom Come: Deliverance (waiting for the final Director's edition, with all DLCs, so I can do a second run in hardcore mode)
  • ATOM - I haven't tried it out but from what I've seen it looks like it will be very interesting
  • Thronebreaker - not really in the league of the above, but I hear it's a nice short game with an interesting story. I can give it a couple of weeks for a single playthrough
  • Replay Arcanum - something I've been meaning to do for some time
  • Expeditions: Viking - I've been putting this one off for a while, thinking I'll finish Conquistador first.

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
It's easy to call other people's choice shit. What's your example of a good RPG, preferably a recently released one?

AwesomeButton

Patron
It's easy to call other people's choice shit. What's your example of a good RPG, preferably a recently released one?
I liked KCD and Pathfinder. Haven't tried Atom yet but it seems pretty entertaining if horribly translated.
Wow, I just found out ATOM has no GOG version. Crap. Anyway, the translation is no issue in my case, I'll be playing it in Russian. I recently started playing Stalker in Russian, and I doubt the same atmosphere can be achieved in English.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
you already fucked up

:greatjob:

It is easy indeed, you and other codexers should know, you are doing it all the time...

By the way, you indirectly admitted that you did waste your time playing those nasty, evil, AAA games... You popamoler you...

AwesomeButton

Patron
By the way, you indirectly admitted that you did waste your time playing those nasty, evil, AAA games... You popamoler you...
Indeed, in this very thread:
I'd recommend Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire!
I already have over 220 hours in that.

Play the expeditions games if you haven't
I've made two attempts to play Conquistador, and both times I dropped it because of something else coming up. Viking is sitting in my GOG library, also waiting the right time. I'll update the 1st post.

AwesomeButton

Patron
You sure you're not gonna start up the game again when the new turn-based mode gets added?
Eventually, yes. But not immediately. Really depends on when TB will become available.

go with oddities and sneaking for most original experience(as far as other rpgs go gameplay/mechanics wise)
Bien sur! I'm already lvl 15, trying to trick death stalkers into my bear traps.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom