Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Valkyria Chronicles IV

Deleted member 7219

Gee thanks, now I got a "oh yea, I gotta remember to play Persona 5 too" moment, that's going to eat a lot of my time as well. This year's end is perilously piling up my backlog, since I gotta get to VC4 too.

Yeah, Persona 5 is also on my list of shame.

Puukko

Arcane
Crack still hasn't arrived so I cracked and bought the game from the sale. It is very much VC1.5, they reverted some of the changes from 2/3 but kept the ones that fit a full-sized game. The grenadier class is a really good addition. Upgrades, mission design, graphics etc are very much based on 1. They even reused some of the tracks which could be called lazy, but there's new music as well. Graphics are exactly the same as in 1 which is a decade old now - the anime style hardly suffers from age, but I'm sure they could've done some improvements with the grass, texture resolution or something. At least prerendered cutscenes are in a higher resolution - they were a cause for eye cancer with the original's PC port.

Story follows a very similar pattern as in 1, so far at least. Heavy focus on character interactions within the squad including rivalries and distrust due to past events. There's some heavy decline going on with some of the characters - you've got a fabulous faggot who is "presented as feminine" and defends Darcsen, a woman who hates men and performs worse around them (she literally yells "I'm a woman, hear me roar" at the start of her turn) as well as a BAALD male feminist who likes said man-hating woman, so a proper beta orbiter. The good thing is you can leave them unenlisted, but they are still present for some story missions and that's three whole characters I'll never use. There's no room for sexual deviants or soldiers who can't get along with half the squad when there's a fucking war going on.

I also have to say that the Empire is far more attractive despite being presented as the bad guys. Royalty, aesthetics, conservatism and distrust for Darcsen vs weak union of ~egalitarian~ democracies that allows for the kind of recruits listed above. :decline:

Puukko

Arcane
(it's a joke)

The story between Isara and Rosie was a good way of handling the matter without being in-your-face moralizing since Rosie had her reasons for mistrust but learned to overcome them. I've got one squad member in 4 whose 'potential' is mistrust of Darcsen (lowered stats) and that's a problem like the man-hater above - if you can't bring yourself to work with everyone in the squad then we're off to a bad start already and I'll pick someone else. I wonder how they treat such issues with discipline in the Empire...

Last edited:

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Finished it a while ago.
Basically improves every aspect of the first game. First one favored scout rushing too much, since interception fire wasn't as big of an issue, map objectives tended to be "capture the point" and scoring was all about finishing in 2-3 turns. Now interception fire is more lethal, other classes have more AP and maps are designed in a way that you need to bring more heavy firepower to get through. And the scoring gives some leeway if you clear tanks and such. Grenadiers feel like a welcome addition, but on the other hand they make lancers even more useless besides few situations.
Writing isn't anything amazing this time around either, but at least it doesn't feel as offensively bad as the first game that had two really shoehorned character deaths. Shame that it sold so bad since it makes further sequels less likely. I'd like to see lancers touched up and having the dodge chance mechanism replaced with something, it's too unreliable to count your units to survive because of it, but it makes killing boss units incredibly frustrating.

Puukko

Arcane
The pacing in this game is weird. It took them until the end of chapter 8, 25+ hours in to actually introduce the rest of the baddies beyond the tank dude. Just blew their load at once.

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
The rest of the villains apart from Walz, Crymaria and Forseti don't get much screentime.

Fun fact instead waiting for a crack you can play on a hacked switch! Finally, my switch has a use. This time around scoot rushing is replaced by APC rushing, especially if you increase the ACP carry cap.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
The dating simulator was liberated.

Now you just need to self impose restriction on mortars to not have the game too simple.

Actually I wonder, the story would make much more sense when their country would send crazy, crippled, and people who would cause trouble when they would be put into government to battle lines. This way their state would stay without someone enforcing ideas like government not being bunch of rich people who rob country, or rich people would not be prevented to manipulate with government to do what they want.

The story would make so much more sense. (No longer retardedly copied european WWI or WWII, but rather sensible decent war where both sides are assholes, the enemy side less.)

Last edited:

Deleted member 7219

Just waiting for a sale to pick up the DLC but they all look pretty good.

Base game is damn fun on its own, though. Severe incline. Even with some of the boring "LOL ANIME" segments in between the battles.

IceyD

Scholar
i just got past the friendly skirmish for bread, thoughts so far:

- finally hit some difficulty, though it comes in the form of surprise attacks that you can't predict. suddenly enemies appear and you have to chase a 2nd objective. kind of lame but at least it makes things interesting.
- claude wallace is perhaps twice as melodramatic as Welkin of the original game. staring at the sky out of depression and learning weather patterns as result? jesus christ
- side skirmshes can be won in a single turn with the APC vehicle. yeah this game is absurd but that's traditional VC
- apprently the villain dude has a harem in his tank, i look forward to learning more
- kai's ass is A+

Puukko

Arcane
The game really does like throwing surprise objectives at you on most missions. Just wait till you reach the winter chapters. I'm currently on chapter 11(?) and the game does a pretty good job of pumping up the difficulty.

The tank fella is the best one of the villains, for better or worse. Also the only sane one it seems.

I have no idea how this whole Kai thing is going to untangle itself, and I am actually intrigued, because where I am at now Lena seems to be taking part in plain old treason.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Game feels a lot more balanced without Alicia lol

So far reached Ch 5

Story is +animu+ but no magic so far which is nice

Instead of winning everything with Scouts now you have to support Scouts which is nice, I'd say I win 2/3 missions with Scouts + Metal Bawx; those which I don't have some gimmick that makes other classes useful. Leveled Scouts to 11 already, others to 6-7. Why doesn't game gimme Scout leader? Afraid I am going to rush bunch of assaults/mortairs/lancers (OR OTHER SCOUTS) half across the map game? :shittydog:

How do other classes fare in my experience:

Tank + Metal Bawx: Use these all the time but designers made it so their uses are quite obvious due to a lot of places locked down for them. Metal Bawx is great because you can put MORE SCOUTS THERE :shitposting:

Assault dudes: Having one for cleanup duty is a good idea, but honestly it's just Kaz since he can also carry bunch of dudes with him :M

Lancers: So far used twice, once in mission that had 2 tanks basically in tacticool position where there was no way to put my tank there, second to clear some tanks during first tank ace battle :M you think they are slow and armored but they still can't survive a tank machine gun to the face; if they could it would be a lot more interesting; if they could overwatch tanks they would be massively more dangerous, instead anti-tank turrets do that but you don't have them...

Engineer: So far used twice, once to fix ladder and once in companion mission to capture objective :Mjesus at least they could use some extra armor like medium armor, that would be cool

Sniper: Only good on open field where you can snipe enemy Mortairs, so far happened about once. If only they were a bit faster, or could 2-shot turrets at least...

Mortair: I have a feeling these are OP and with new tank design also mandatory, but blonde seem to be handling everything alone so far.

Still compared to first game - way more interesting missions, especially due to enemy mortairs and way more enemies and defended positions.

Also I can't get over that S rating is replaced with A, it triggers me not seeing S after mission.

Last edited:

Shadenuat

Arcane
Walz is the MAN :shredder:
I want to defect to Empire

Also fuck Crymaria's head hitbox.
also lol at united states using little girls as living nuclear bombs to kill everything
and of course the only dude who reacts to that like a normal being is Raz and they send him to die :prosper:

aw gawd
final mission is cancer. :rage:
will try cheese.
cheesed in 2 turns. thx god cheatorders.

good for what it is. main character felt worse than Welkin even though, insufferable. favorite characters: walz, raz, and trio of assault retards (darscen hating ice bitch, trigger happy raider and greedy girl). want VK where you either play Empire or a band of misfits.
orders + grenadiers + metal bawx is new Alicia :shittydog:

Last edited:

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Been playing it, so far it is enjoyable.

The writing or story is nowhere near trails level, but i enjoy it so far. I am on chapter 5. At the very least, i like the character more than VC1.

My complaint is the game is still too easy, maybe because i am early, but it seems the enemy is pretty braindead. They spend like 2 or 3 times actually moving, and waste all their AP's mid turn. Headshots are still OP.

They should have unlock the hard difficulty right away, because so far the mission have been pretty breezy. I got A's on most mission the first time.

The only mission i didnt get A on first try is the one with sniping the numbers on towers, the one where you retreat and ziegval line 1. Other than that, i got A's all the time.

Squad stories are actually the more challenging mission so far because of the limited roster and no leader member for extra AP

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom