Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Lick or Litch?

How do you pronounce Lich?

• Litch

Votes: 154 83.2%
  • Lick

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • King Komrade

Votes: 25 13.5%

• Total voters

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I've heard that Soros is surrounded by litchspittles.

Jason Liang

Arcane
0440484839.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

RaistlinChronicles.jpg

1462748009524.jpg

Azalin-Ravenloft-Lich-a.jpg

23deccaa43c8adc3fc867daa2be4012b.jpg

arthas-x-wallpaper-www.wallpapername.com-PIC-HWB35618-1024x640.jpg

0519-psp-ff1-diary-04-500x283.png

Last edited:

Gord

Arcane
German: Licktenstine
English: Litchenstine

Loch is a good example of that awkward throat clearing sound being used in English though, so good example there, it's not an outright ck sound, but that course ch sound of loch.

Actually in german it's not "Licktenstine", it's pronounced with the same sound used for "ch" as in german "Ich", which sounds similar (but not exactly identical) to the "throat clearing sound" in Loch Ness.
Which is also the sound I default to for Lich, since it's anyway related to german "Leiche" (corpse), even though it's probably not the correct pronunciation in that case.
But I don't really give a shit.

Col.-Hans-Landa-Come-At-Me-Bro.gif

Theldaran

Liturgist
Ravenloft 2 was horribly translated to... eh... the local language, you know. "Lich touch" was translated to something like "torch's lick". Getting the grammar right, eh.

pomenitul

Arbiter
Here's what the OED has to say:

Pronunciation: /lɪtʃ/
Etymology: Old English líc strong neuter = Old Frisian lîk , Old Saxon líc (Low German liche , like , Dutch lijk ), Old High German líh neuter and feminine (Middle High German lîch (feminine), also weak lîche , German leiche dead body), Old Norse lík (Swedish lik , Danish lig ), Gothic leik < Germanic *lîkom neuter. Comparison with the cognate words (see LIKE adj., LIKE n., LIKE v.) suggests that the original sense was probably ‘form, shape’.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom