Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire gameplay and hints thread

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
They get more bonus points for being warriors, but berserkers are the real powerhouse fighters. The only possible use I can see for a giant right now is a berserker dualed to fighter on lvl 4, but only if Giants also get more points on lvl up as a warrior than other races. Even then, you get fucked over with losing at least 15 points of strength.

It's time for the giants to get rebalanced burn

:timetoburn:

edit: the latter may actually be a bug. I can't imagine racial minimums should get reset to class minimums. Cleve?

Another skill-related thing that seems to be a bug is that on level up all the unused skill points are lost.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Not a bug, a feature

Gunnar

Arbiter
How come my Wizard can't learn Hearthcraft from the book? It says Wizard should be able to use it.

Gunnar

Arbiter
How come my Wizard can't learn Hearthcraft from the book? It says Wizard should be able to use it.

There are minimum stats required to learn some crafts.

I was examining my stats and noticed that my Wizard regenerates mana much slower than my sage, even though my wizard has a MET score of 42 and the sage has 25. Do races/classes have different base regen values that are different from the attribute scores?

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
I was examining my stats and noticed that my Wizard regenerates mana much slower than my sage, even though my wizard has a MET score of 42 and the sage has 25. Do races/classes have different base regen values that are different from the attribute scores?

Fastest mana regeneration: Faeries, Aeorbs, Wolves and (if I remember correctly) Dwarves.

Gunnar

Arbiter

Fastest mana regeneration: Faeries, Aeorbs, Wolves and (if I remember correctly) Dwarves.

Is this info listed somewhere or did you learn this through trial and error? I don't see it anywhere on my character sheet nor is it mentioned during character creation. I thought that differing regen values would be handled by the attribute that specifically handles regen, seems actively misleading to have a visible regen attribute and then also a hidden one, especially if the hidden one matters much more than the visible one.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
It was discovered by people through trial and error. Now that the http://grimoire.wiki is back up, I checked for the exact information.

So the fastest mana recovery is with Wolves and Barrowers, with Faeries and Aeorbs coming after that.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
From http://grimoire.wiki/index.php/Beginners_Guide

General Gameplay Tips
  • Keep up the "Detect Secret" spell at all times to discover secrets. This way you won't miss hidden buttons, illusion walls and secrets for which you need to use the 'Look' action of a character.
  • In addition, having a party member with a high Scouting skill will allow you to spot Safe Haven spots, where you can rest without being attacked.
  • Run into a locked door three times and an option to force the door open appears.
  • To select an action for a character, instead of using the arrow buttons underneath their action button, you can also Right Click on that button and select an action (much faster).
  • To see the stats of an item or weapon, select 'Assay' on the character who has the highest Assay skill and drag that item ON that character's button. You can get a description of an item by selecting 'Look' instead and draggin the item on the character's button.
  • It is recommended to turn off smooth movement and smooth turning in configuration by choosing the "2.5D" option instead. This will remove the graphical glitch when turning left or right and it will make autowalking very fast.
  • Autowalking on a map: Use the "Set path -> Pathfinder -> Exit & Walk" functionality in the map menu (F3 key) to speed-up your travel.
  • Resurrecting a dead character reduces their Constitution by 10 points each time. After 10 days, the Resurrecting spell won't work and you need to use the 'Raise Dead' spell instead.
  • You can also 'Raise Dead' the bones of people you find.
  • Put at least a couple points into swimming - that way your characters won't drown right away when stepping into a water tile.
  • The fastest way to learn climbing is to cast Featherfall and to try climbing again and again. This will increase the climbing skill no matter whether you fall or succeed. (You will need climbing only later on.)
  • Most recruitable NPC's have much better stats, eg. Little Rosy in the Briarwoods in the beginning. Each recruitable NPC is paid 100 gold per day. A list of all recruitable NPC's is here (SPOILERS): All Recruitable NPC's
  • Important: DISEASE develops over time, causing other conditions to appear and preventing conditions from disappearing over time! Make sure to cure disease quickly, either with potions, spells, or with consumable items (Galen Apples you find when you 'Look' in a bush in the starting areas).The new shrines also heal diseases.
  • The leeches you sometimes find in the water pools can cure POISON, but inflict some damage while doing so. There are also potions and spells against poison.
  • You can turn off random monster encounters completely in configuration, or you can adjust the encounter rate.
  • To pick locks on doors and chests you need both the Inspection skill and the Lockpicking skill on the same character.
Combat Advice
  • In combat, you can keep pressing Enter to speed up the fight.
  • In the beginning, some races inflict higher damage without weapons (eg. Drakes, Nagas and Saurians have 3D4 unarmed attacks while early weapons have only 1D4). Also make sure to use the special attack abilities that some races have.
  • Especially in the beginning, keep the Vitality bar high. Otherwise your armor penetration rate in combat goes down. You can also replenish Vitality in combat by eating consumables or by casting the Refresh spell after you learn it.
  • You can target a specific row of enemies with weapons that have a range of larger than 1. For this, either select 'Fight' or 'Spell' again and you will be able to select the row of enemies to target. Or click on the number next to the character portrait - this number shows the row this character is currently targeting.
  • You can cast protective spells that affect your whole party even before combat: Armorplate, Enchanted Blade and Magic Screen (You will get these spells as you level up).
  • Keep in mind: If you cast a spell on the second row, but the enemies in the first row die - then the second rows moves to the first row and the spell hits nothing in the second row.
  • Musical instruments can be very powerful, so make sure to have a Bard or Sage in your party to equip and use them.

Gunnar

Arbiter
I changed my Bard to a Cleric, and he's still able to keep using the harp he has equipped, which is pretty awesome. I don't think he's supposed to be able to because If I take it off, it doesn't let me re-equip any instruments on him.

Tigranes

Arcane
Sounds like a similar thing as IE games, when you could keep equipment on after losing the relevant prerequisite, but you couldn't take it off and put it back on.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Some good tips on the Steam forum:

I can confirm that both the Lich and Hobknob were both dispatched by lethal blows with 80%+ HP. In fact, the Lich got Lethal Blowed on the 3rd extra hit from my Rhattu Assassin.

I put haste on the bard (pre-battle) so he could act before the Lich, he put the Lich to sleep, then the Lich got Lethal Blow killed, before a full turn sequence for my party was over. I dunno what you guys call that, but I call that #rekt. Similar situation vs Hobknob. The later ended up attacking one my second row characters with less HP, and got killed, then I reloaded the game, and proceeded with the above strategy, and Hobknob was dead before getting to attack once. Out SPD those really nasty bosses, land sleep, paralysis, etc (anything that keeps them from acting), then land a lethal blow. GGS.

Its possible to roll a Rhattu Assassin in V2. I heard some earlier guides stating it wasn't possible, but the stat rolls were buffed to 8D6, and 6D8, which means 48 points is max now, and with 48 you can roll both Rhattu Assassin, and Rhattu Pirate. Both of which are amazingly good.

I'm not sure, but it feels like daggers have a higher % chance for lethal blow than other weapons. Even though some other weapon types have weapons with better raw damage rolls. Could be confirmation bias, I dunno, but I definitely noticed a pattern of my assassin landing more lethal blows, even though berserkers have just as high in weapon skill and lethal blow, the only difference is they're using axes.
Also, there is a whistle item I got for my bard's 2nd slot, and when he gets multiple hits, he uses the whistle which can AOE, does about 20 damage on average, AND can inflict confusion. If Bard gets 4-5 attacks, he plays 1 song, and will use the whistle exclusively for extra attacks. This is (be sure to say this in a deep Russian accent) strongk. Strong enough to cuckold mages damage wise, and I'm assuming there will be stronger whistles later on, or stronger items of similar effect. So, 100 SPD on a Bard, most definitely. Just for the extra damage from secondary weapon slot. Which can be considerable. I'd say attributes over skill points for Bard to start, and dump them all into SPD.

The thing about the second weapon for the Bard which can be used multiple times is pretty neat.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
I changed my Bard to a Cleric, and he's still able to keep using the harp he has equipped, which is pretty awesome. I don't think he's supposed to be able to because If I take it off, it doesn't let me re-equip any instruments on him.
Grimoire V2: only six micro-issues remaining!

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
I killed Hobknob with one max power crushing fist. Ker-splat.

Supposed to work that way. Very similar to Wizardry. Once in a while, spells like Deep Freeze and Crushing Fist are just supposed to insta-win. I nerfed them a bit but they are still supposed to be very powerful spells that once in a while just kill the monsters outright. Iz gut.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
also, how does crafting work? I've started over compulsively so I don't know. Anyway, do I lose "crafts" belonging to one class if I switch to another? Like, does the metalsmith keep weapon crafting if he turns into a warrior?

Once gained, a craft is never lost. Eventually, all characters should get all the crafts and those that multiclass should get them sooner.

Gunnar

Arbiter

Is a feature, not a bug.

Is this consistent for any equipped item?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom