Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Ys series

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
https://gematsu.com/2018/12/ys-ix-features-adol-at-his-oldest-age-yet

Ys IX features Adol at his oldest age yet

Weekly Famitsu and Dengeki PlayStation offer a few new details on the recently announced Ys IX: Monstrum Nox for PlayStation 4 via interviews with Falcom president and CEO Toshihiro Kondo.

Get the notable tidbits below.

• The concept of the game is the subtitle “Monstrum Nox” (Monsters’ Night) itself.
  • The game’s setting, Baldeux, is a three-dimensional town with different elevations. Its outskirts include grasslands, forests, and ruins.
  • Set in an era after Ys Seven, Adol will appear at his oldest age in the series yet. His name as an adventurer is becoming known all over the world.
  • Party battles and simple controls return. Additionally, the game introduces supernatural actions that lean on the supernatural abilities possessed by Monstrum. Wall-running and moving as a shadow are also possible.
  • The new “Guild Operations” system is an expansion of Ys VIII‘s “Drifting Village” system.
  • The hooded woman equipped with artificial arms and legs is a major key to the game’s story.
  • Development is currently 50 percent complete.
Ys IX: Monstrum Nox is due out for PlayStation 4 in 2019 in Japan.

Thanks, Hachima Kikou and Ryokutya2089.

Party battles... return
Troy-disperato.gif

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Update for the previous article:

Update 12/27/18 at 2:55 a.m.: More information has surfaced, via the latest issue of Dengeki PlayStation, which also has an interview with Falcom president and CEO Toshihiro Kondo.

Here are the tidbits:

• Adol is the protagonist.
  • Adol’s name has become known all over the world since Ys VI. The increase in the amount of people that know of Adol is one of the highlights of the game.
  • While there is a possibility that characters from past games will appear, they will serve a more minor role.
  • As for the reason Adol comes to the Prison City, it is highly likely he got wrapped up in something based on his previous behavior pattern.
  • The right arm of the woman in the key visual is artificial. She is a guide in this game. She is also the same woman that appeared on the countdown website.
  • There are characters that becamse non-human Monstrum for certain reasons.
  • The dream mentioned in the prologue is unrelated to Ys VIII‘s Dana dreams.
  • You can climb onto and move across rooftops.
  • You will be able to play as Monstrum during the course of the game.
  • There is also flying-esque floating, as well as aerial state actions.
  • Magic items have been abolished and will be consolidated into Supernatural Actions.
  • The adventuring gear that appeared in Ys VIII will also disappear. Since there are too many items and categories, the plan is to organize such elements together.
  • They would like map-making to stay. They also want to include fishing, but various elements have come up that are under consideration.

Read more at https://gematsu.com/2018/12/ys-ix-features-adol-at-his-oldest-age-yet#9sS8K5AtM5itptKt.99

:shredder:

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
Update for the previous article:

:shredder:

Reads really cool. I'm really curious about the story, though. The premise is interesting and Falcon gets praised for the yarns in the Trails -series, so why not up it up with Ys too (haven't played Memories, but I found the one in Oath and Dana quite good and really good in Origins. And what I read about VII seems promising. So, there is hope)?

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
Mehhh. The Trails series' stories are really about as Light Novel-grade anime as you can get. Fuckin' OGRE MODE, lmao

Really? Hrm. But I got a chance to play Ys VIII and I enjoyed the story enough. Not perfect, but it had a good build-up and even was okay with the ending, after thinking a bit about it. So if they keep that niveau we may get something good? One can hope. At least the gameplay should be fun.

Last edited:

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I am a trails fan plating Ys for the first time (except this one i played in highschool but forgot about)

playing origins, i enjoy it so far. The dungeon is tight, the combat, while not pretty deep, flow pretty well and you can pull some nice moves.

The story surprises me, people said Ys story are usually pretty flat, but at rhe very least i am intrigued by the central mystery.

It is not as detailed or expansive or well written as trails, but still compelling all the same. The dungeoneering and stuff remind me of trails in the sky 3.

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
[...]

The story surprises me, people said Ys story are usually pretty flat, but at rhe very least i am intrigued by the central mystery.

[...]

That's the greatest strength of Ys-Stories. There characters may be just solid, but the worldbuilding and the build-up to the mystery is always excellent. They did the environmental storytelling stuff, before Dark Souls put in the public eye ... just not as cryptic as those :D.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
finished oath of felghana. damn that final boss is tough.

pretty good game tho.

i also like the suble connection with the previous titles
how the final boss talk about the winged people, basically the godesses from Ys origin and Ys 1/2 and he also talks about the black ark / black pearl from ys origins.

Ysaye

Arbiter
Can't wait to see Old Adol. Although, the most I'm betting on is him getting a square chin.

In the latest artwork, it looks more like he needs to trim his nails on his left hand and get that double jointedness seen to.....

https://www.siliconera.com/2019/03/03/ys-ix-monstrum-nox-gets-a-fall-2019-release-window-in-japan/

There's also a nice March 2019 calendar with all the heroines, villainesses and general other fangirls / stalkers that Adol has bumped into over the journey (except Fortune Teller Sara from Ys 1 and the female cast from Ys 8 it would seem).

https://www.dualshockers.com/ys-ix-monstrum-nox-playable-characters-story-details-screenshots/

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Falcom President Reveals New Details on Ys IX: Monstrum Nox; Wishes to Remake Ys V

Adol lives in the prison city but can't live there "normally"; Falcom is prioritizing Ys IX's development over the two Kiseki games.
During the Nihon Falcom stage event at Dengeki Game Festival 2019, Falcom’s president Toshihiro Kondo revealed new information and gameplay for Ys IX: Monstrum Nox, and spoke about what might come next for the Ys series.

Kondo started by going over the Ys series, mentioning Adol’s age in each of his adventures so far. He also talked about how the first version of Ys I mentioned in its manual that Adol’s adventures ended when he became 63 years old and disappeared, with no one knowing what happened to him. The Eresia continent where the Ys games take place in is based on Europe, and Adol explored all of it during his life and left behind over 100 journals recounting his adventures.

So at that point, the games didn’t even cover half of Adol’s adventurer life. Kondo also mentioned how over at Falcom they often talk about how they can’t make a game with a very older Adol. Having “The red-bearded Adol” instead of the “Red-haired Adol” would be nice though. One possibility Kondo mentioned is making a game with an older Adol but with the main protagonist being a younger man who admires Adol and is his disciple.

Later on stream, Kondo also revealed that Adol is 24 years old in Ys IX: Monstrum Nox.

One of the triggers behind Ys IX‘s development is how a lot of Falcom’s staff just really wanted to design a huge city. They also properly designed the city of Balduk as realistically as possible while keeping in mind facts like how it’s used as a base for many adventurers.

Adol has settled in the city as well. Kondo and the Dengeki journalists joked about how Adol might have found a job there too, as he did technically work as a sailor in Ys VIII: Lacrimoso of Dana.

Jokes asides, they added that Adol while Adol settled in Balduk, he can’t live there normally in the open for a certain reason.

Adol’s adventures usually start after he got shipwrecked and gets found unconscious by someone, most of the time a cute girl. This is one of the traditions of Ys games and there will be something similar but different in Monstrum Nox.

As you already know, there are seven playable characters confirmed so far, Adol, the red scarf person, and the five Monstrum. Each of the Monstrum has a different “Movement Action” to travel around. It was confirmed that the white-haired cat-like Monstrum is a girl. She can run up any wall on the game. Meanwhile, the blue Monstrum man who dual wields swords can fly. Some of the movement actions can be used to avoid traps in dungeons, and some can be used to attack as well. Kondo stressed that despite all these new action additions in the series, it won’t make the game’s controls too difficult and people not good with action games will still be able to play properly.

They explained that in Ys IX: Monstrum Nox, basically if you see something, you can actually reach it most of the time. Like with past games, Monstrum Nox also has treasure chests to find. Falcom wanted players to be able to see a chest from far away and be able to go there and get it.

As we already know, you’ll be able to explore the city of Balduk, but go outside the city as well. The game will also feature the usual giant bosses present in Ys games. The city also has a Guild where you can accept quests.

Later on stream, Kondo also answered multiple questions from fans:

On whether they have plans to remake older Ys games as they did with Memories of Celceta, Kondo answered a lot of staff at Falcom wish to remake Ys V, but a lot of fans also wish to see Ys I and Ys II remade. For now, they haven’t decided anything but Kondo added that he definitely wants to remake Ys V, especially to rewrite its story to make it fit with all the new story elements since then.

Falcom recently started using Motion Capture for their games and they’re using it for Ys IX to a certain extent. Kondo indirectly confirmed Adol is one of the characters they made using Motion Capture. One of the challenges they’ve faced during development is how Ys IX: Monstrum Nox is a speed-based action RPG like the rest of the series, something which doesn’t go too well with realistic movements you obtain using Motion Capture. So they had to adapt the movements to make them fit with the game’s speed.

On whether they’d like to make an Ys game in VR: Kondo mentioned nothing is planned in that regard, but everyone at Falcom is very interested in VR games. You can also see that with the Trails of Cold Steel IV collaboration café actually ongoing in Shibuya, where they made a small VR app that lets you become one of the characters.

As we already reported, Nihon Falcom is currently working on two Kiseki/Trails games along with Ys IX: Monstrum Nox. Kondo mentioned that over anything else, Falcom is prioritizing Ys IX‘s development.

That’s all. Ys IX: Monstrum Nox is scheduled to release in Fall 2019 for PS4 in Japan.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
1. Give us an Adol-focused game already, goddammit. I want him to get all these cool ass powers, not other jerks!
2. I'm afraid Balduk will suffer from 'huge city, completely empty' syndrome. Guess we'll see how it ends up.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom