Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I would move on to someone more interesting, like Alex Scokel, who actually made me interested in playing Pillars 2.

wow and i didnt?

friendship ruined

Child of Malkav

Erudite
And you're not going to play this game simply because it looks like Borderlands? I thought this is a discussion about content, gameplay not graphics or art or whatever.
Is this still the Codex? Am I on the right forum?

Black Angel

Arcane
And we all know that Borderlands sold horribly.
rating_citation.png

Codex Year of the Donut
And we all know that Borderlands sold horribly.
rating_citation.png

I would also need a citation for this, as my perspective on Borderlands has always been it keeps Randy Pitchford in his gilded (and unfortunately fleeced, as this year proved) doubloons to allow Gearbox to keep making games. And a LOT of folks enjoyed Borderlands, so kudos to Gearbox.
I forgot the winking smiley face required to convey sarcasm on the internet so here you go:
;)

Child of Malkav

Erudite
And you're not going to play this game simply because it looks like Borderlands? I thought this is a discussion about content, gameplay not graphics or art or whatever.
the whole wacky scifi theme is reminiscent of Borderlands, not just visuals.
If they set it in the past and had magic and stuff you would have said it's Elder Scrolls Obsidian Edition, as it's set in the future, Borderlands.
My point is that the whole argument "looks like x or y" doesn't hold any weight. My concerns about this game lie in the gameplay, writing/humor aspect (the trailer didn't make me laugh) not some graphic style, floating numbers or some such irrelevant, minor stuff.
Hopefully the game will be good but I keep my expectations in check and my ass out of the hype train.
Just because it's Obsidian doesn't mean that things can't and won't go wrong at any point.

Doktor Best

Arcane
Tim threatens to take away numbers: codex rages, Tim puts numbers in yo face: same thing :D

Typical for outrage culture.
Never played Borderlands, is it any good? Or just generic popamole rpg?

Do you like really bad fart jokes and bullet sponge shooting? Because if you dont, you wont enjoy this game.

It just looks too much like Borderland at this point.

Man, people will post this over & over again till game releases, ain't they? :negative:

Yes. You ring a bell, saliva runs.

Last edited:

Wunderbar

Arcane
If they set it in the past and had magic and stuff you would have said it's Elder Scrolls Obsidian Edition, as it's set in the future, Borderlands.
if it's set in wacky purple future with pink trees and scifi raiders - then yeah.

Codex Year of the Donut
if it's set in wacky purple future with pink trees and scifi raiders - then yeah.
And if it was "serious" scifi you'd call it an elex ripoff

Wunderbar

Arcane
And if it was "serious" scifi you'd call it an elex ripoff
no, because elex is post-apoc with pretty bad mishmash of styles.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

They didn't technically say anything, but Everts and Spitzley are still there and working on this. :M

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
After watching some gameplay, I can say that the game looks promising.

It definitely doesn't look like any Borderlands game. (To me it would be OK either way, as I'm more or less a fan of BL games.) From what I've seen of the actual gameplay, BL2 would be the closest match but there are few similarities actually. The setting may sound familiar as it's presented in TOW trailer but the look and feel is different.

The gameplay is definitely different. In BL2 you never have followers (except temporary summons for certain classes) but you can play co-op multiplayer. Since TOW Steam page explicitly says "single-player sci-fi RPG", I guess it's exactly the opposite here.

Last edited:

Duraframe300

Arcane
What drug is MCA taking?
He's taking the piss out of the game's marketing.
I don't fully get it though. The marketing of the game doesn't rely on promoting the size of the maps or quality of the story at all. Even downplaying/claryfing the first via multiple sources (social media and interviews) and barely mentioning or praising the second, instead focusing on mechanics.

So, is he taking the piss at Obsidian or ?

Wunderbar

Arcane
What drug is MCA taking?
He's taking the piss out of the game's marketing.
I don't fully get it though. The marketing of the game doesn't rely on promoting the size of the maps or quality of the story at all. Even downplaying/claryfing the first via multiple sources (social media and interviews) and barely mentioning or praising the second, instead focusing on mechanics.
So, is he taking the piss at Obsidian or ?
1) MCA misleads players about gameworld size
2) players will be upset upon release, which will result in a bad press
3) bad press and word of mouth will affect sales
4) microsoft will be angry, feargus might get the boot
5) ???
6) profit

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom