Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Neanderthal

Arcane
Why is Dumpsterfire tagged as the most expensive crpg ever made, is purchase price so far above all others?

Seems unusual for that ham bloke to be criticising devs he's usually sucking off.

Incendax

Augur
In my opinion, Deadfire is the best game this year. Don't know if Kingmaker comes close, just started playing it.
I honestly liked Deadfire. The overland portion is pretty anemic because there are actually very few places of consequence on the map. But overall, it was a pleasant experience for me.

Kingmaker is a different beast entirely. I love it passionately and also hate it passionately.
The highs are higher, and the lows are lower.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I don't get all the hate for Deadfire - other than that a lot of BG fanboys were disappointed by POE1 and now think that "everything Pillars is shit".

In my opinion, Deadfire is the best game this year. Don't know if Kingmaker comes close, just started playing it.

it is edgy butthurt BG fans , or just edgy haters who hate everything in general. deadfire is good, some of criticism is fair (such as the ruleset and the mess that is rtwp combat, the weak storyline ) but overall, PoE is a good series.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
POE1 was indeed not that great, but with White March and later patches it became much better too. Deadfire is the continuation of that incline.

Generic-Giant-Spider

It's not because Deadfire is necessarily a bad game or unplayable dogshit or anything that would make you want to see it occupy a landfill. It's more that it's disappointing for some people. Some of you can look past it and love what you see or appreciate it fully, but some also expect something more. When I heard about the classes and the specializations I was interested to see what would happen, but in the end it was that same narcoleptic experience that sets in when you know you're playing something you cannot even summon the give-a-shit to press on with. Maybe someone can explain it better, but POE operates under a ruleset that unfortunately extends to the gameplay and makes things feel boring. There's nothing that feels crazy or "what the fuck did I just stumble on" when it comes to character generating. It seems like the power comes from the itemization (honestly, I actually liked the look of the items I saw before I dropped the game) but then you get into this situation where your character feels lackluster until you find some weapon or armour and become a badass. I like it more when clever character customization is where the real power is. POE promotes too much safety, it's scared to let you take off your gloves and really go in and actually concoct something dastardly.

I also wasn't fond of how every class operated under some system to give them their own unique resource (or "power source"). Rogues use Guile, Paladins use Zeal, Druids use Nature, etc. It calls to mind some late 2000s MMORPG silliness that doesn't really add much if anything.

The setting never grabbed me, it's like some goofy Hawaiian hulu kuku shit. I don't know, I'm not some Samoan that cracks coconuts open with their skull so all that is lost on me. The storyline is meh. It wants to give you urgency, but it's also promoting the idea of sailing the seas and plundering stuff and then you have to solve problems with the various factions. I think it would've been much better if Deadfire existed as its own story that had no ties to the first and instead concerned the politics of the factions and kept it focused on that whilst keeping the nautical adventure and exploration strong since it would fit better into that narrative.

But yeah, I dropped it because it wasn't pulling me in. On a technical level, the game is gorgeous. It's a pretty good looking game. I would fuck that game. Yeah. But when it comes to the things that makes me stay awake and gives me crows feet the next morning, it didn't deliver at all. Not at all a bad game, but not poetry-in-motion either.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
I actually like that all classes are viable in their own unique way and some combinations come pretty close to exploits and "crazy stuff" actually. The island dwellers didn't do much for me too, but the pirates, the main city, the old dungeons etc. are very good and immersive. Also, I love fighting those dragons.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
One

80px-Portrait_Yseyr_Convo.png

Generic-Giant-Spider

Death Knights are less cool Liches.

The Lich is awesome because they commit to it. They have to do tons of preparation, tons of studying, they have to prepare for the moment. Death Knights are like, it's like becoming an elementary school teacher when you really wanted to become a lawyer but weren't good enough. Sure you got all the big scary armour and aura of dread, but you don't really have the same respect that a Lich does. If I hear I'm confronting a Death Knight, whatever, just get a Paladin to invalidate them. A Lich, though? I'm looking at the possibility of getting fucked up within fifteen seconds. You can't just sleep on a Lich encounter, you need to go in there with tactical war plans.

2house2fly

Magister
By the way, do you see how even though the Observer is a Primordial it's actually not in any category in the bestiary? I haven't reported that bug, because I like the idea of a creature being impossible to categorise

Loostreaks

Learned
PoE I/II is like watching an old metal band still pushing it's career, but doesn't have the same fire, creativity it used to. Obsidian needs new blood, and to get rid of it's current writers. At least Pagliarulo doesn't pretend he's good at it.

2house2fly

Magister
Deadfire was written by the new blood. And lmfao Pagliarulo most certainly does

Deleted Member 16721

The giant spider said it best. It's all about the boring rule set to me. that's why I find kingmaker so much more satisfying, because it uses a real ruleset that you can sink your teeth into. PoE is all about balance and it does not feel like you can create a really unique and interesting character that could be overpowered or even underpowered. It's just a boring rule set.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
IMO the bigger the shittier. I am not interested in forced exploration of shit content. Lore dumps and city quests are usually shit. Dungeons - OK.

Incendax

Augur
Death Knights are less cool Liches.

The Lich is awesome because they commit to it. They have to do tons of preparation, tons of studying, they have to prepare for the moment. Death Knights are like, it's like becoming an elementary school teacher when you really wanted to become a lawyer but weren't good enough. Sure you got all the big scary armour and aura of dread, but you don't really have the same respect that a Lich does. If I hear I'm confronting a Death Knight, whatever, just get a Paladin to invalidate them. A Lich, though? I'm looking at the possibility of getting fucked up within fifteen seconds. You can't just sleep on a Lich encounter, you need to go in there with tactical war plans.
Whoa there. I love my Liches, but the way I see it a Death Knight is a Lich that happens to be a Fighter instead of a Wizard or Cleric. Sure, that means you have to outsource your immortality, but some of the best Death Knights include badasses like Lord Soth, Kargoth, Miltiades, and... okay, Arthas is a whiny bitch, but he made for some good cinematics.

Besides, when you are an epic level wizard and your withered old fighter buddy gives you puppy dog eyes, are you really going to say no?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom