Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Which is The Best Faction for The Mojave & New Vegas?

Best Faction for New Vegas?

• Caesars Legion

• New California Republic

• House

• Wild Card (Independent)

Results are only viewable after voting.

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist
I'm curious as to the general consensus among all of you as to which faction would be best for the Mojave and New Vegas? Please leave an explanation as to why as well.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Over the years I've finished with Wild Card, NCR, and the Legion. Think I liked Wildcard the best but don't really remember. Probably like Wild Card best because you are your operator instead of working for other people. The only constant has been house locked away for eternity because fuck that guy.

Just occurred to me I do the same thing to Thaos both times I finished PoE.

Last edited:
House >>> NCR >>> Legion = Wild Card

Mr. House is a visionary with a bold yet possible vision of human progress and no megalomaniac dreams of domination. He is a bit cold and autocratic, but otherwise pretty free ruler. He's also immensely intelligent. Also immortal, which resolves a lot of problems.

NCR is... good for what it is. They can bring a decent, stable civilization to the Mojave, sure. But they're just repeating the mistakes of the pre-war world. I don't think the NCR will last as a stable power, in the long run. I also don't like the idea of supporting the NCR, because the people at the top - Kimball and General Lee Oliver - are Jingoistic Expansionists who are wildly expanding to help their own careers and power, ignoring things like Overstretch and generally causing fuck ups. If the NCR was ruled by people more like Hsu, I would gladly support them. If I help them win, its Kimball and Lee Oliver who go out as heroes. Also too much corruption, bureocracy and big government.

I think the NCR Needs to lose this one, or it will never learn.

I think Legion and Wild Card are both problematic choices, because they're pretty much gambles.

The Legion right now needs to take the NCR and accomplish Caesar's "Synthesis" or it will fall apart. The Legion does exactly what it states to do - brings peace and order. Crushing peace and order, but it works. It will either create the ultimate power in the Wastelands or turn into burning cinder when Caesar dies. My problem with it is that the "Synthesis" is pretty much "and then the magic happens" for me to consider it a viable plan.

Wild Card is, well, a Wild Card. Its the House ending without all the good things about House ending.

lefthandblack

Arcane
I'm sorry, but I can't NOT avoid playing as the NCR's golden-boy right up until Kimble's speech when I assassinate him myself....with a satchel charge under the stage. I also can't NOT avoid killing that dog-headed faggot in Nipton so I've never played Legion either.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
The House always wins.

He is a bit cold and autocratic

I never got that impression.

iu

ortucis

Prophet
Only faction I've never finished the game with is Legion.

Maybe one day. At least I have something new for another playthrough.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Wild Card is, well, a Wild Card. Its the House ending without all the good things about House ending.
The Dead Money and Old World Blues add-ons supply the Courier with technologies so ludicrously advanced that the Wild Card ending offers the potential to vastly exceed Mr. House's dreams. :M

Between matter transformation machines, solid holograms (with advanced AI), matter teleportation, robot manufacturing, artificial organs, and virtual immortality, Mr. House is irrelevant.

Codex Year of the Donut
House is the only one that cares about the mojave.

NCR was siphoning water and power to their own land while mojave residents suffered. Much like most modern "democracies", all the politicians are owned by the rich and powerful.

Arguably the House ending has most of the upsides of the legion except it won't fall apart in a few years because its leader died.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
House is the only one that cares about the mojave.
Actually, yeah, that's a good point. I voted in the mindset of what is the best over all, but if we specifically consider the Mojave, you're probably right. While I still think that the Legion is the only one with long-term solutions and goals in mind, and the only ones with the ability to adequately carry it out, they wouldn't specifically be good for the Mojave wasteland. Not only would they turn the area into a warzone, but they'd raze much of the existing infrastructure, and then likely create a quarantine/exclusion zone around the entire dam, due to its strategic and infrastructural value.

If there's a clear benefit to the Mojave specifically, it would be decades, maybe even a century later.

So focusing solely on the Mojave and disregarding the rest of mankind, House is probably the best option, yeah.

Explorerbc

Arcane
Open walkthrough -> Find optimal choices that skip as few quests as possible -> Choose factions

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist
I'm surprised, I expected more of you to choose NCR, it seems to be the most popular choice among New Vegas fans, for whichever odd reason.

Codex Year of the Donut
I'm surprised, I expected more of you to choose NCR, it seems to be the most popular choice among New Vegas fans, for whichever odd reason.
1. You asked specifically about the Mojave. House is the only one who has demonstrated any interest in actually bettering the area rather than using it as a battlefield and siphoning its resources.
2. The NCR is corrupt, and requires a shock to their system.

House is an ultra-genius that cares only about the Mojave that shows no tendencies towards expansionism. The usual downside of being ruled by such a man is that everything they built begins to crumble when they pass, but House is immortal.
IMO too many people have had the idea that "democracy = good" drilled into their head without stopping to think it over themselves.

Trithne

Erudite
Was writing a big spiel, basically just what's already been said.

- House is a benevolent(ish) dictator with vision and the means to carry it out.
- Republic is corrupt, too enamoured with the idea of rebirthing America and would bleed the Mohave dry.
- Legion won't survive past Caesar and will degenerate into warring successor states.
- Indepedent Vegas would eventually succumb to a future leader selling it out.

laclongquan

Arcane
I choose NCR as the best faction for Mojave and New Vegas, but I am not surprised gamers are divided and choose other options as well.

House is the biggest favourites because MC get treated like royalty (not King/Queen, but royalty). And what's good for avatar of god (aka MC) is good for the land. What's left is just justifications.

Legion is the second favourites because Legion got best uniforms. As long as you have a snazzy uniforms and some pretty sounding dialogs, you can always find suckers to justify things for you. And gamers are suckers.

Why NCR is the best? Because production, bitches. NCR can produce from a variety of factories in the west, and many ranches, farms, and cheaply transport them all to Vegas thanks to railroad. "but the Dam's water" some will whine. And "Desert, Sucka" is the answer, because how the hell a desert can produce enough foods? And NCR is good guys. Why do we know? Because NCR uniform suck big balls. That's the signature of good guys.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
House Pros: is autocrat and immortal one, has vision for Mojave and is local power hence what is good for immortal God-King is good for his land and subjects.
Cons: Destroyed BoS instead of making them his tech-Praetorians, Has shabby security can be easily overthrown if Courier is not around to guard him and Courier is a tramp and drifter, has not ounce of charisma nor understands holo poloi people would never follow such distant and cold leader who is not aware that giving people food and work is not enough you need to offer them grand vision for future and ideology to follow too; in this even NCR is better, still he has Courier and does listen to council from time to time so...

Currier himself aka wild card: Pros: Shit tons of technology and resources to start with from all the places he/she/xir plundered explored I meant, excellent relations with all local factions aka: solid power base, nuclear deterrent from lonesome road keeping expansionist powers at bay. Cons: is as mentioned an agent of change like Mercury can't see how he would settle down and spend days ruling and still mortal man even with all tech from big empty so his realm would be in trouble in 20-40 years.

NCR Pros: :hahano: Cons: Expansionist imperial powers from west the Mojave would be borderland and military zone for them at best unless they would beat Keizer Sozo completely :hahano: no big chance for that seeing how inept and corrupt it is, has XIX c tech but degenerate and decadent XXI c morals (women liberation, tolerance for sexual deviants and mutants), makes all the mistakes country which blown the planet to cinders does, faction for sheeple who still believe demoncracy is best and for real.

Legion; Pros: Lead by charismatic and genius Man, has plans to make Nev Vegas onto New Rome aka power center has proper values based on :obviously: Rome and is unlike all other faction is free from modernism and its fallacy of constant progress so earth will have time to heal it wounds before Men invent atomic weapons again. Cons: Caesar is old man and has only couple of years to achieve his synthesis also no successor of his caliber, could be be put in sarcophagus guarded by BoS but is too technophobe for that.

House>=Legion>Wild Card>>>NCR

Last edited:

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
NCR ftw, all corrupt fucks can be executed or imprisoned, it's not a problem.
has XIX c tech but degenerate and decadent XXI c morals (women liberation, tolerance for sexual deviants and mutants), makes all the mistakes country which blown the planet to cinders does, faction for sheeple who still believe demoncracy is best and for real.
NCR actually isn't much favor gays and it's hilarious to hear about "democratic sheeple" from cuckold who support regime who treated it's own people like cattle. Look, I understand that you have fetish on being obedient cuck, while sucking some dictators ego cock and buttfucked by taxes (or a real cock, since legionaries kinda gay), but slave can't just call free people as "sheeple". He kinda need earn his freedom first.
Power center has proper values based on :obviously: Rome and is unlike all other faction is free from modernism and its fallacy of constant progress so earth will have time to heal it wounds before Men invent atomic weapons again. Cons: Caesar is old man and has only couple of years to achieve his synthesis also no successor of his caliber, could be be put in sarcophagus guarded by BoS but is too technophobe for that.
If "Proper values" is gay orgies and other sexual deviations, incest, gluttony and other weird stuff, than yeah, ya boy Ceazer covered ya.
free from modernism and its fallacy of constant progress so earth will have time to heal it wounds before Men invent atomic weapons again
I would like to see how iron,coal, uranium and oil regenerating, but unfortunately it's all bullshit,invented by your defective mind, and the only answer to resource depletion - constant technological progress and space exploration. And your beloved Cezar reduce chances to save humanity, by killing smart people and workforce alike only for his selfish idea that society should work on outdated principles (even though history proved his ideas wrong). If Cezar will win - there no hope for restoring civilization.

Last edited:

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
Codex infested with communists and people with fetish on totalitarian/authoritarian regimes with masochist deviations (because they imagining in their wet dreams themselves as dictators while in real life they nobody and achieved nothing), so no surprise here, honestly.

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist
that's because House asks you to kill BOS.
IIRC, the BoS is a fan favorite though, despite them trying to purposely kill you in a previous iteration of the game.
1. You asked specifically about the Mojave. House is the only one who has demonstrated any interest in actually bettering the area rather than using it as a battlefield and siphoning its resources.
2. The NCR is corrupt, and requires a shock to their system.

House is an ultra-genius that cares only about the Mojave that shows no tendencies towards expansionism. The usual downside of being ruled by such a man is that everything they built begins to crumble when they pass, but House is immortal.
IMO too many people have had the idea that "democracy = good" drilled into their head without stopping to think it over themselves.
I've seen people state that the mojave would be better with the NCR in control, because they'd bring civilization and protection to the mojave, allowing it to grow, despite the stated game ending slides.
House Pros: is autocrat and immortal one, has vision for Mojave and is local power hence what is good for immortal God-King is good for his land and subjects.
Cons: Destroyed BoS instead of making them his tech-Praetorians, Has shabby security can be easily overthrown if Courier is not around to guard him and Courier is a tramp and drifter, has not ounce of charisma nor understands holo poloi people would never follow such distant and cold leader who is not aware that giving people food and work is not enough you need to offer them grand vision for future and ideology to follow too; in this even NCR is better, still he has Courier and does listen to council from time to time so...

Currier himself aka wild card: Pros: Shit tons of technology and resources to start with from all the places he/she/xir plundered explored I meant, excellent relations with all local factions aka: solid power base, nuclear deterrent from lonesome road keeping expansionist powers at bay. Cons: is as mentioned an agent of change like Mercury can't see how he would settle down and spend days ruling and still mortal man even with all tech from big empty so his realm would be in trouble in 20-40 years.

NCR Pros: :hahano: Cons: Expansionist imperial powers from west the Mojave would be borderland and military zone for them at best unless they would beat Keizer Sozo completely :hahano: no big chance for that seeing how inept and corrupt it is, has XIX c tech but degenerate and decadent XXI c morals (women liberation, tolerance for sexual deviants and mutants), makes all the mistakes country which blown the planet to cinders does, faction for sheeple who still believe demoncracy is best and for real.

Legion; Pros: Lead by charismatic and genius Man, has plans to make Nev Vegas onto New Rome aka power center has proper values based on :obviously: Rome and is unlike all other faction is free from modernism and its fallacy of constant progress so earth will have time to heal it wounds before Men invent atomic weapons again. Cons: Caesar is old man and has only couple of years to achieve his synthesis also no successor of his caliber, could be be put in sarcophagus guarded by BoS but is too technophobe for that.

House>=Legion>Wild Card>>>NCR
The legion bit always had me wonder why Caesar never had any children that he would teach to become his successor. For someone in his position, an heir is the most important asset he should be fostering.

NCR is shit.

Like somebody else said, House ending is the best one for Mojave.
With the addition of the sierra madre and old world blues, I've always wondered how house would react to learning such incredible technologies not only exist, but are fairly easily attainable.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom