Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire + DLC Thread - now with turn-based combat!

2house2fly

Magister
It's actually starting to get a bit tough to decide what to do for my next playthrough, because I for sure want to try the challenge modes and turn-based stuff... but do I want to try them all together? One thing I am sure of is that I won't have the time or inclination for two or three more playthroughs

Parabalus

Arcane
Why did they make Galawain's challenge apply only to beasts though?

I get that it's flavour, but would be nice if it just applied to all enemies tbh.

Simple Simon

Scholar
Deadfire got into 'the best of 2018' top sellers of Steam!

https://store.steampowered.com/sale/winter2018bestof/

That's surprising, right? My understanding was that the game did not sell terribly but that it did not meet expectations, either. I am wondering how they are counting "gross revenue." I activated my key for the Obsidian edition on steam but I bought it at a substantial discount on g2a. Does that get counted as a full price Obsidian edition sale in my region, or just what the guy who sold his key to me paid for it? :?

jf8350143

Liturgist
Wow, so Deadfire confirmed to have outsold Kingmaker?

It should be,considering it come out several months earlier.

Although the list might not be that accurate. There is a Chinese indie game(The Scroll Of Taiwu)just came out this year, and it has sold more than 1 million copies last week,but it's not on the list. So either every game on that list sold more than 1 million copies on steam, which is very unlikely, or it just leaves some games out.

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Or maybe Feargus sold a couple of hundred thousand copies under the counter through Dark Rock Industries, and they didn't figure in the Fig report? :lol:

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
How did you defeat the :mhd: on PotD with level scaling all? It gave me quite a tough fight with my lvl 14 custom party. Damn thing comes with 11 tentacles at that difficulty, if I'm not mistaken.

Quillon

Arcane
Last edited:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
The only AoE ones are rod (blast) and blunderbuss (powder burns), the latter is great and is featured in many builds, both because of AoE and the self distract (flank)

All of the fights that challenged me in any way put pressure on my ability to do single target damage and control-manage mobs. I can't recall one where I needed more AoE-clear. Perhaps it's a result of my party comp though, I'm really not an expert after one playthrough on PotD.

In general though I guess it's hard to say since the game is way, WAAAAAY the fuck easier than White March. Again besides the BoW dragon I didn't reload more than once or twice once I got past 10th level (keep in mind I'm still missing some megabosses + Forgotten Sanctum).

I played through WM several times and found Dumpsterfire much harder. Llengrath is a joke compared to megabosses and DLC content.

What was your party?

Keep in mind, like I write, that SSS is the only content I haven't done at this point. But when you write "DLC content" that's patently absurd IMO - besides the dragon and the first ice wraith encounter I didn't reload a single time during the entirety of BoW, while I reloaded to trash fights in White March.

Forgotten Sanctum feels much better in this regard, it's the first time since I reached level 10 in Deadfire that I've begun reloading often again, but it still doesn't pressure me quite as much as WM did.

My party is:

Chanter/Paladin
Xoti Monk
Tekehu Druid
Serafen Cipher
Maia Ranger/Rogue

I shudder to think what I could do to the content with a better party - Tekehu was very, very useful at lower levels but at this point he doesn't come close to Xoti or Maia, hell, even Serafen is more valuable. His most valuable ability is rezzing my PC when she goes down since she's worth 10 Tekehu's.

My next party is going to be PC + Pallegina, Eder, Aloth and maybe Serafen again because was the only one of the new companions I liked. In general it seems like constant damage output and tankyness are more valuable than spellcasting in Deadfire? Maybe with the exception of Wizards, who seem to have PoE1 priest-like levels of useful spells, keeping in mind I haven't played with one yet.

Last edited:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Man, I'm having soooo much fun with Forgotten Sanctum in general. Wish more of both PoEs were like this. A bit random in the story department, perhaps, but there's an interesting or surprising tidbit, encounter and item hidden around every corner. It does seem very short, though :(

EDIT: And the puzzles are still pretty baed compared to something like Watcher's Keep :D

EDIT2:

OK the oracle of wael fight was wholly disappointing. Literally auto-AI'd through it.

Last edited:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Any tips against protecting against Belranga's permadeath attacks? I feel like I got this fight nailed down except for the fact that she always manages to permakill one of my characters with Shattering Screech because I don't have enough anti-dexterity-affliction stuff to go around.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
No one has a story to share about the Kraken on PotD?

1) Went for the Kraken, died, reloaded

2) Killed its tentacles first, gg easy

Is it supposed to be hard? Belranga is giving me a much harder time even though I have plenty of Crush damage.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Any tips against protecting against Belranga's permadeath attacks? I feel like I got this fight nailed down except for the fact that she always manages to permakill one of my characters with Shattering Screech because I don't have enough anti-dexterity-affliction stuff to go around.

https://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Khapa_Tea

Thanks, that worked wonders. Seems I was too fast about having the fight nailed down though. I can get her lowish but in the end going into melee with her always crushes my Monk and even my tank too fast for me to get herself down. I could kite her but that feels cheesy.

Ulfhednar

Savant
Didn't think about Khapa Tea, but Chanter's "Seven Men" also worked for me.

AwesomeButton

Patron

Is it supposed to be hard? Belranga is giving me a much harder time even though I have plenty of Crush damage.
It was quite hard with 11 tentacles and with their beefed up armor rating and accuracy, with a lvl 14 party of multiclassed characters. I used summoned ogres to distract their ranged attacks and mostly did the damage with my scout and barbarian/fighter. My fighter/paladin served as a damage sponge. It was a close call though - I had two knockouts, and I usually don't suffer any knockouts.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

It was quite hard with 11 tentacles and with their beefed up armor rating and accuracy, with a lvl 14 party of multiclassed characters. I used summoned ogres to distract their ranged attacks and mostly did the damage with my scout and barbarian/fighter. My fighter/paladin served as a damage sponge. It was a close call though - I had two knockouts, and I usually don't suffer any knockouts.

I was level 16, that probably made a pretty huge difference even though I have level-scaling on. I was able to kill the tentacles relatively quickly and with 2 characters that can rezz it didn't matter much that the beginning of that fight has tons of front-loaded damage.

AwesomeButton

Patron
Yeah, the tentacles dump a lot of attacks on the character that begins combat and in my case that's the paladin/fighter using "marked enemy" on a tentacle. So, the more tentacles, the bigger the initial damage dump.

Something I don't like about the system is how a character can spend a few minutes in combat with barely taking any damage, and suddenly, when some protective effect wears off - die in the matter of 10 seconds, if 2-3 hits land. And of course the player never has time to notice that the protective effect has worn off, because it's just one of tens of effects which that character had, and it's in the heat of combat.

The designated healers are usually unable to help in any way because they are in the middle of their own recovery times after doing something. The threathened character is probably also unable to help himself, because unlike in the Infinity Engine games, where drinking your first potion happened instantly, here you have to wait for the full recovery time to finish.

Ultimately, the player has to either be completely unemotional while monitoring the combat (the opposite of having, well, fun), and/or play at the lowest speed, or be very quick with the pause key. One more reason I hope that TB mode can fix the feel of combat.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom