Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Screenshot thread

Viata

Arcane
Lords of Shadows 1 has some great uses of camera, I really loved that. It made the game way better for me.

Bocian

Arcane
Lots of stupid choices in the final map. Why would you choose a lvl 3 Magic Guild when you already know all or most of the lvl 3 spells?
Also, as far as I remember, those sharpshooters are really strong.

janior

Arcane
Vatnik
qmh92yn.png

sPytsig.png
axn0mb8.png
c9tAuhy.png

MKXpTJf.png
YpJiCkN.png

bWwmvb9.png

0SOEir0.png

Zq72X2c.png

KuldTUh.png

XVAzcVi.png

o56DTcD.png

MR1FihK.png

g1BRbPn.png

FeNytuZ.png

ms9LZkU.png

HekRykf.png

HXUXhAb.png

t8mAfLI.png

CXQXKyz.png

FEEF59CF7FBA7ED863BDB54E132882E39385C879

5F3F69C1BE4E579EE98BD27750C0A94E603C463C

MGSV: Ground Zeroes. This is one of the most impressive levels in all of stealth gaming. The FOX engine is a fucking marvel (runs at 60fps at 4k without breaking a sweat on my 6 year old 3570k + 1070), animations are brilliant, there's a lot of interactivity everywhere. This came out in 2014 but still looks better on every level than pretty much everything else out there.

What a shame that Konami turned into a grubby pachinko company and booted Kojima off. The dude's gone off the deep end but damn, he assembled some of the most technically proficient japs in the history of videogames.

I'm not a fan of the final iteration of MGS 5, but this level shows what it could have been under a tighter direction and without open world shit being forced by corporate overlords. It's 3 bucks during this Steam sale. Buy it and play it if you haven't. The only downside is the lack of David Hayter. Kiefer just ain't good enough.

2f0.jpg

Astral Rag

Arcane
0330562C7BE125F93AE4DE00B618FD69A23C37FD

The shameless evil commies had reached the capital of the world.
278A89ADAC30DC036EED7C3080106D3C06016B8D

Fortunately USA's square-jawed heroes could easily annihilate the vast majority of the red "menace".

E5BF5E81192DB6966989E102828CECD779090615

Of course the sneaky Russians did have a dastardly surprise up their dirty red sleeve.

DCFD9F17CB3FF6BEB71F5B4225248022E0B7B07F

But even their so-called superweapon was little more than an annoyance for the superior American forces.

F23814F5BC6D31BD97B7CD15EFFEAD1A77684E25

278999731FD80684ECADEC6889ABFA97B7173EE5

After that crushing defeat American heroes dropped many Atomic Bombs of Freedoom on Russia and their evil allies. And with that, the world was safe, prosperous and free forevermore.

:salute:

Seriously, this is a fun game, and I usually don't care for Tower Defense games. I don't know why it's not more popular. Sure, it's a console port but it works well with keyboard and mouse. It ran at a locked 60fps for me and I didn't encounter any bugs or crashes in the six hours it took me to beat the main Cold War campaign. I still have 2, 3 level expansions to finish and the entire WW1 Campaign + expansions and a bunch of minigames.

:shredder:

Maybe it was a buggy mess on release. Can't imagine playing this with a controller though, what a nightmare that must be.

Only minor downsides for me: the camera isn't great, there could have been more music, F14 controls suck bad (even with a controller, I tried).

All in all 4€ well spent.

Last edited:

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
So. After leaving that game on the side for many moons, I decided to go back to it and finish it.

UUsP3IR.png

ZVWDI42.png

lYqYqNj.png

Another game I couldn’t complete in my childhood. The difficulty wasn’t the reason why, although X-Wing is not an easy game at times. It’s quite simple: some missions from the B-Wing expansion can’t be completed until you lower you CPU speed else some triggers won’t trigger. Internet being what it was at the time (and me being too young and callow) prevented me from finding a solution.

Else I’ve also gone back to and finished that … thing:

E1eAs2H.png

SLbgMte.png

nzW6nE4.png

ftXkhSc.png

8qPObU5.png

SzG9EDh.png

pTWgjkg.png

J5wuAcA.png

cv9fTwe.png

I’m not going to continue. Fuck that!

Scratch that one too.

And a happy surprise: the Christmas holidays gave me the occasion to check out a few series, including Stranger Things. It wasn’t as good as claimed, which I somehow expected, however I found it entertaining and full of charm, and in the end the good parts outweighed the bad ones. I was surprised to see that there was an official game for mobile so I gave that a try.

FxuVesq.png

It’s a rather surprising little thing: it’s free and without any ads or IAP, it’s a series tie-in, and it’s rather enjoyable. The whole thing looks and sounds retro, which follows the series theme, and there is a fair amount of ’80s pop-culture references to find, including from video games. Finding the various locales and characters is a bit of a treat if you enjoyed the series, and there is a decent amount of exploration with unlockable characters that allows you to backtrack and open previous inaccessible areas and find secrets. Controls are okay most of the time but having to select enemies to attack can lead to some annoying situation, although you can quickly figure out the best times to attack and the best characters for the job. All in all, in a surprisingly decent job for a free promotional game and it gives you a good eight hours of exploration.

IPGCZnV.png

cdFms62.png

xUPSJcd.png

Some places will look very familiar if you’ve watched the series.

pmAosfp.png

3Q1uOmF.png

WgQ1zFI.png

Dustin is fun: he can throw pudding to distract enemies.

20PsHQU.png

MTU2Dhp.png

rrdNvPv.png

sq7V5aF.png

Of course it is.

sOEPVUS.png

The science teacher is one of the characters that sadly exists mostly as a plot device to provide information to the kids and get the plot going. Had the series’ setting been contemporary, he would have been replaced by Wikipedia. A shame, because his character begged to be better developed.

Z2z1W0I.png

XJ5sBea.png

The map is pretty useful

cBrgD4f.png

C5ZsBnt.png

AFpavMS.png

D9O3k0W.png

RjXbrOj.png

2bAgLl2.png

YUGmnVJ.png

Last edited:

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
What a shame that Konami turned into a grubby pachinko company and booted Kojima off. The dude's gone off the deep end but damn, he assembled some of the most technically proficient japs in the history of videogames.

While I jumped on the Konami hate bandwagon when the whole konami vs kojima drama started, after the release of MGSV and having read up on the development of Phantom Pain, I eventually changed my stance.

Konami had every right to fire him. MGSV was in development for almost 6 years, Kojima was given 80 million dollars to do it and yet the game wasn't even finished on release. The 2013/4 footage had shown content that was in the final game, and content that was clearly cut (that content, and much more, were promised on the release version). I suspect this content was intentionally cut, and if you know Kojima (and his past works - MGS2), this idea doesn't seem so far fetched - it's even the name of the game Phantom Pain (as in the feeling of loss for something that doesn't exist, but once did).
I believe the man was simply tired of working there, remember MGS4 was not supposed to happen (he only did it, because he caved in to Konami's and fan pressure - the latter which sent him death threats for him to answer the questions of MGS2 ending) and PT, an actual project he wanted to make was unceremoniously cancelled (probably Konami's way to punish him into finishing MGS5). So it's quite possible he did what he did to MGSV just to fuck with Konami and have them fire him.

Still, Konami can go fuck themselfs for their stupidity - like you said the Fox Engine is godlike, and instead of doing actual games with it, or even sell the engine for public use like Unreal 4, they are instead doing fucking cut-scenes for slot-machines.

Last edited:

spekkio

Arcane
I'm p. sure screenshots are from PC version (hi-res backgrounds, costumes).

Jinn

Arcane
There is a high resolution background mod for the PC version, as well as a mod with redone combat and menu UI. Search the steam forums and you should be able to easily find what you need to make the game look much better.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom