Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ATLAS - sandbox pirate MMO

Look at it this way:

Yes, these devs are tools for trying to pawn off a different Ark mode as a new game without being up-front about it. They should have just been honest, and said, hey, we think if we change up some things with Ark, we can have a pretty cool MMO (kinda like Day Z with ARMA).

But, the game could still be good if they fix up all the issues with it (which is reasonable to expect since Early Access). It's really not that hard to duplicate Eve's meta-game, all you need to do is create some meta-tools for guilds and players. But now imagine this with a half-decent basic gameplay, and you are talking BETTER THAN ANY OTHER SHIT OUT THERE RIGHT NOW. Sad state of things to be sure, but that's how it is.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Good on devs, if your fanbase is so stupid that they will buy your shitty low effort cash grab you have every right to take their money and laugh in the faces.

Angthoron

Arcane
Wow so wait, the Ark devs caused some kind of an outrage with Ark by never finishing it and instead pushing out an overhaul DLC, and then before they made that work they went and made another overhaul DLC but this time they also had another dev team working on the MMO backend? Am I getting this right?

Lol if so.

Turjan

Arcane
Wow so wait, the Ark devs caused some kind of an outrage with Ark by never finishing it and instead pushing out an overhaul DLC, and then before they made that work they went and made another overhaul DLC but this time they also had another dev team working on the MMO backend? Am I getting this right?

Lol if so.
Nearly. You just left out that they could not call it "DLC" because then they would have had to give it for free to people who bought the season pass.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
How badly does it suffer from the usual PVP survival game issue of raiding being impossible unless you have 5 shitbucket warriors collecting resources at all times so you can build equipment and consumables? I only have any sort of experience in Rust, and that game suffered horribly from it. Stone walls and beyond were practically unraidable unless you had a lot of C4 bricks, which took absurd amounts of grind to acquire unless you had a group of >5 autists who can play the game 5 hours a day building C4, AKs and street sign armour.
I will admit though, the game is highly entertaining to watch streamers play, even if it is flavour of the month.

Yeah that's a thing. Right down to the stone walls.

Still works out if you go full EVE online on it

Last edited:

Angthoron

Arcane

Lol if so.
Nearly. You just left out that they could not call it "DLC" because then they would have had to give it for free to people who bought the season pass.
Man, I have a bridge to sell to the people that bought into this. It's a shitty bridge but at least it isn't copying the usual bridges.

Duraframe300

Arcane
So, um. I don't actually play this game, but is there actually a full blown east vs west war going on it?

https://www.pcgamer.com/racism-in-atlas-becomes-a-problem-as-western-and-chinese-players-clash/

Players can take prisoners and keep them caged for days; there is an example of a Chinese guild who'd taken several Western players hostage for over a week - let's imagine that, you can't play the game, because your in-game character is a captive/slave to another player; and they would come in and shout at them in broken English about dismembering their families and how they should kill themselves. It was incidents like that which prompted the infamous photo of a lone Chinese player who'd been executed

:lol:

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
West vs China wars aren't uncommon in MMOs. It's a difficult battle quite often, because Chinese players usually use cheats, lag like hell, use exploits and have massive numbers united in a couple of groups while EU and American groups are more divided.
Funny to see these garbage journalists call fighting Chinese players racism. Yeah, just let them dominate the entire server. Having a fun war and bantering with enemy clans? Nah, that's racism.

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist

Lol if so.
IIRC they also added in microtransactions to their early access game, which they never finished and just said "was done". The issue with ark is long and storied, but I know of a video if you've time to spend and are interested.

Codex Year of the Donut
West vs China wars aren't uncommon in MMOs. It's a difficult battle quite often, because Chinese players usually use cheats, lag like hell, use exploits and have massive numbers united in a couple of groups while EU and American groups are more divided.
Funny to see these garbage journalists call fighting Chinese players racism. Yeah, just let them dominate the entire server. Having a fun war and bantering with enemy clans? Nah, that's racism.
people who don't actually play videogames(videogame journalists) don't understand what kind of plague chinese players are

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

Lol if so.
IIRC they also added in microtransactions to their early access game, which they never finished and just said "was done". The issue with ark is long and storied, but I know of a video if you've time to spend and are interested.

posting shitty cleanprincegaming give me money on patreon with my shitty faggoted videos?

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
chinks manage to ruin every thing they come into contact with.

Hevnknekt

Educated
I gave it a shot and have actually been enjoying it. Feels like such an unregulated anarchic mess of a game. Can be as autistic and offensive as I like.

:love:

Myobi

Liturgist
I still don't understand why the devs are calling this shit an MMO, the map is split into servers, each capped at 150 players, 150 player ain't massive, fuck, I believe Rust has servers with 500 people and that shit still ain't a MMO.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom