Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter ATOM RPG - Wasteland Soviet style! - now with Dead City update

Will you back?

• I will consider it!

Votes: 39 54.9%
  • No! I would never!..

Votes: 9 12.7%
  • kingcomrade

Votes: 23 32.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Reapa

Doom Preacher
How one is supposed to win fight with Leonid and his men? they have numerical superiority and better gear.
i found that if you make the best pistol available through crafting
2AP/shot
and get 10 dexterity and then get the perk that takes away 1AP/shot with pistols, you can shoot quite a lot of bullets. if you make and equip 2 of those pistols then even more. all you need is bullets.

tindrli

Arcane
Alright, the worst thing about this game for me is the template-info dialogue & every NPC having it. The streamlined structure of the info-dialogue makes me feel like checking boxes after 34 NPCs I talked to in a row. I hope in a future game they make dialogue done/structured more organically and that they should know it would be OK for some of the NPCs not having dialogue trees at all. I'm probably done with most of the main city content, now entered Perugun; I'm like... oh great, 50 new NPCs that I'll get to ask 4 to 5 questions to each, yay! :hahano:
while i agree until certain degree i must say that i don't mind generic dialogue.. just because is there doesn't mean that you need to click on it..

tindrli

Arcane
Hoooonk! Hooooonk! Woooo!
Here's Atomboy driving the Patch Train!

Wanted aimed shots to do something? You got it! Wanted to rebind those keys? You got it! Wanted minor bugs fixed? You got it!

Here's the full list:

• Reworked the aimed shot system;
  • Reworked random encounter balance;
  • You can now refuel at the caravaneers and in Red Fighter;
  • Stalkers now visit Red Fighter on a certain stage of development;
  • Battle speed can now be changed in the menu;
  • Better optimization for ATI and GeForce cards;
  • An ability to switch and rebind keys in any way you prefer;
  • Better criticals!
  • Typos our community found are now fixed;
  • Reworked skill and attribute checks some NPCs have;
  • Fixed Hexogen;
  • Master of Unlocking now grants XP;
  • Shadow errors in Dead City fixed;
  • Livened up trade in Peregon;
  • Lone Wolf perk does not punish you for having Dzhulbars in the party;
  • Modified weight of some items, work is in progress;
  • Characters no longer get stuck on the Factory level;
  • Some car bugs fixed;
  • A new map for random encounters added;
  • Around ten lesser bugs fixed;
Haven't tested the new features myself yet, so here's hoping I didn't embarrass myself too much with that super sure attitude towards the fix, but it seems like it genuinely made things better. Try it out!

Next on the bucket list: Better tutorial, further tweaks to AI, perks and combat.

Also in the news, someone asked me long ago whether the Mountain Pass of Woes was based on Ronja robber's daughter. I said no, but it turned out that my better half actually based most of the stuff there on that book... And I knew it too poorly to recognize the allusions... So there goes my credibility, straight out the window! Now I have to do some testing and some writing, but I will return to answer the last 5 pages. Looks like some very juicy stuff after a glance!

Best wishes to everyone! See you later!

Oh, and P.S.: We are on stage 4 out of 5 with GOG. But we wanna do some more fixing and user suggestions adding before we seal the deal. Patching GOG every minute is not as easy as patching Steam, you know!
:excellent:

Quillon

Arcane
Alright, the worst thing about this game for me is the template-info dialogue & every NPC having it. The streamlined structure of the info-dialogue makes me feel like checking boxes after 34 NPCs I talked to in a row. I hope in a future game they make dialogue done/structured more organically and that they should know it would be OK for some of the NPCs not having dialogue trees at all. I'm probably done with most of the main city content, now entered Perugun; I'm like... oh great, 50 new NPCs that I'll get to ask 4 to 5 questions to each, yay! :hahano:
while i agree until certain degree i must say that i don't mind generic dialogue.. just because is there doesn't mean that you need to click on it..

My OCD dictates so I click on everything, plus sometimes there are quests or some other rewards hidden in them.

tindrli

Arcane

My OCD dictates so I click on everything, plus sometimes there are quests or some other rewards hidden in them.
well then you can kill everybody as well

Quillon

Arcane

well then you can kill everybody as well

That's for another playthrough :D

If I have five grenades in inventory, why does it only equip one? Same for stimpaks.
Well, when you toss a grenade by hand, it's not usually belt-fed (it's not Cyberpunk). Same with the stimpaks. There are no bandoliers/carrying rigs, so mechanics-wise it makes sense.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
Glad to hear about the upcoming patch! Just to throw in my 2c, I think cooked food should be shareable with companions too. Right now I'm mostly healing them by resting, which can get annoyingly tedious.

you can equip food and then use it on your companion like you would a weapon... what's annoying though is let's say you have 20 corned beef, it will only put one in your weapon slot so you have to keep re-equipping it and using it.. it's obnoxious, but I had to do it in the death cavern because there were critters between us and the exit and fidel had 1hp

Parabalus

Arcane

There are several skill trainers for whom you have to click through that "generic" dialogue. :mixedemotions:

filpan

Scholar
If I have five grenades in inventory, why does it only equip one? Same for stimpaks.
Well, when you toss a grenade by hand, it's not usually belt-fed (it's not Cyberpunk). Same with the stimpaks. There are no bandoliers/carrying rigs, so mechanics-wise it makes sense.
But as far as I recall, in Fallout you use one after another when you equip them right? I know its a different game, but to me it is better that way

But as far as I recall, in Fallout you use one after another when you equip them right? I know its a different game, but to me it is better that way
Yes, I agree that it's a pain in the ass, and in Fallout you equipped the whole stack, but grenades are much deadlier in this game.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
So, I bit the bullet and chose ATOM today over bread next month.

What does the "Special Code (Kickstarter)" in Options unlock, and is there anyone that would consider sharing theirs?

Dodo1610

Arcane
Sadly I am stuck. The game wants me to fight 5 soldiers in the Mycelium bunker which are all capable of killing me in 1 turn. Has anyone found an ivincibilty cheat/trainer so I can see the ending.

The strangest part is that after finishing the bunkers in the valley and the one in the dead city I have no quest to infiltrate the Mycelium bunker.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Sadly I am stuck. The game wants me to fight 5 soldiers in the Myceluim bunker which are all capable of killing me in 1 turn. Has anyone found an ivincibilty cheat/trainer so I can see the ending.

The strangest part is that after finishing the bunkers in the valley and the one in the dead city I have no quest to infiltrate the Mycelium bunker.
0+* on the numpad,then write youshallnotpass. And then write AP 50 for example,you could get endless turn that way,just go and stab them till death....it could take some time.

Edit:
With high luck you could get lucky and they all die from cold wind :)

Last edited:

Sratopotator

Savant

You're not crazy. Player is actively incentivised to click on every node, as some of them grant free XP or lead to training (or rumors/lore/stuff).

That's not a bad idea, but...
A smart first-time player will prioritize speaking with all available npcs and doing their mini-quests, before accessing main content. He will do it to maximize his chances of success, or to obtain better rewards/training.

This is fine and dandy, but if there is not enough actual content sprinkled around, the player will either: stop talking to npcs because it's boring, or continue talking with them just to find those sweet, sweet XP nodes. The first player feels bored and 'skips content' , the second is frustrated and sleepy. Not a good result. Unfortunately, this applies to bigger cities in ATOM. Too much background info, too little actual content.

Mini-content injections could easily make Krasnoznamenny a solid candidate for one of the 'Great' crpg cities. Right now, visiting it for the first time has a sleep inducing effect in 'optimal-playthrough' kind of player, unfortunately. Other than that, apart from the stuff already discussed, the Game is great!!!

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
question about a quest you can get in the chamber of commerce bunker

this guy wants me to kill everyone at the circus but not sure if I should... dunno who this guy is, and if the rewards are worth it... I assume it will affect the ending slides or something but not sure if it is the start of a larger chain or tied to a faction or soemthing?

Dodo1610

Arcane
Sadly I am stuck. The game wants me to fight 5 soldiers in the Myceluim bunker which are all capable of killing me in 1 turn. Has anyone found an ivincibilty cheat/trainer so I can see the ending.

0+* on the numpad,then write youshallnotpass. And then write AP 50 for example,you could get endless turn that way,just go and stab them till death....it could take some time.

Why don't you just let them pass and take the shrum?

Used the AP cheat to finish the game. Honetsly the Mycelium Bunker was too short and too difficult, I really hope you guys can make the final dungeon more interesting.

Atom RPG is the biggest gaming surprise of the year for me.

Atom RPG achieves so much with it's limited budget. The world building is simply fantastic, I can hardly believe that it's the first game in this fictional universe. The world really feels organic with it's mysteries culture and folklore. The circus alone is one of the most memorable locations in any RPG. Though the valley as well as the dead city are have to little content and feel unfinished, the same applies to the villages in the south. There were so many instances where I heard some crazy unbelievable rumor and then it turned out that there was some truth to it. The quest design can only be compared with the Fallout games, so many quest have multiple solutions and different endings that I really want o go back and see them for myself. The RPG mechanics though clearly "inspired" from Fallout are good but I have the feeling like some skills feel underdeveloped. I do not remember a dialogue where I needed the stealth skill or the first aid skills. I really like how it's possible to avoid pretty most encounters with skill checks.

Visually the game looks good enough for a 15Euro Indie RPG made with unity though some of the animations are really good like the pole dancer . Still the inconsistent styles within the NCP portraits are weird. The loading tmes are short and the performance is good as well.

The writing is a bit hit and miss some of the villager dialogues are pretty weak and uninspired but i appreciate that they even have unique dialogue. Some of it is really good like the mercenary lady in Peregon these small moments make the world feel so much bigger and create this dark atmosphere that makes Atom RPG so good. I personally liked the humor, despite the countless references because they often worked even if you do not know what is being referenced. The story is sadly a bit disapointing and the ending feels rushed
Ending Spoiler !!!
Atom guys turn up near the end but they don't seem to do anything. The mushroom story is cool but it kinda lacks a big moment. Though I might have missed some things.

Basically I love most of the game but I hate the combat. The patched aiming mechanic seem to something because i got more crits in the last bunker with the patch then I got in the last 5h.

So many encounters are too difficult on easy and if you spawn while being surrounded you can press F9 immediately because you will simply die. Some guns are too rare for example I never saw the VSS again until the final bunker. I never even saw a single weapon that uses the 12.7 ammo. The Perk system is weak, a lot of perks are just bonuses to skills and most perks you will never get since the costs are too high. I don't even want to waste too much time talking about it since I know I am not an expert.

I hope you can improve the game even more in the coming months and this game deserves more mainstream attention, I am already mentioning as often as possible ion German gaming websites.

TLDR

Buy this game if you enjoyed Fallout and other text heavy RPGs it's definitely worth it's price.

Sorry for the countless typos and my poor writing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom