Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I don't really see any intentional animosity towards Bethesda either, yet he insists on it and keeps tagging them in on those claims. Wants to make sure that bridge stays burnt.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
What’s so hard to understand about MCA’s trolling here? Obsidian compared TOW to KOTOR 2, MCA’s baby, and it clearly made him very pissed off. At this point we know Avellone really dislikes when people incorrectly give him credit for work he didn’t do. Imagine how he feels when he sees new Obsidian devs seemingly taking credit for stuff he mostly did with people who are no longer at the company.

I don’t think his butthurt is super justified, though. Obsidian brought up KOTOR2 because it’s a good example of the hub based system that they’ll be using, and, given the prevalence of open worlds these days, KOTOR2 was the smart analogy.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So I haven't been following this: but it seems MCA gave this game his seal of approval, and now it's gonna b really gud?.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Christmas is the only relevant holiday at this time of the year.

Even godless heretics celebrate Christmas still because Christ is too top tier to deny the power of. They'll talk shit but they'll be wrestling with their big pine tree in two weeks time when they need to throw it out.
Father Frost's presents under the yolka would like to have a word with you.

Fairfax

Arcane
What’s so hard to understand about MCA’s trolling here? Obsidian compared TOW to KOTOR 2, MCA’s baby, and it clearly made him very pissed off. At this point we know Avellone really dislikes when people incorrectly give him credit for work he didn’t do. Imagine how he feels when he sees new Obsidian devs seemingly taking credit for stuff he mostly did with people who are no longer at the company.

I don’t think his butthurt is super justified, though. Obsidian brought up KOTOR2 because it’s a good example of the hub based system that they’ll be using, and, given the prevalence of open worlds these days, KOTOR2 was the smart analogy.
I don't think it was about credit. The original comparison was essentially "KOTOR2 style but bigger and better". Chris has many regrets and criticisms re: KOTOR2, so the name-dropping to build hype must've rubbed him the wrong way.

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
As far as I know, nobody who worked on KOTOR 1 worked on KOTOR 2, yet KOTOR 2 had the same structure more or less.
I don't know what Chris is trying to achieve by pointing this out.
I think he's saying that KotOR 2 tried for too much content in too little development time, and trying to go for even more would be a bad takeaway from KotOR 2's development. To have fallen so far and learned nothing, that would be failure.

Tweets like this seems to support it:

*superfluous tweets removed by moderator*

Last edited:

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
More concerning that people are taking his shitposts seriously, do people still think he works at Obsidian?

Quillon

Arcane

I don't think it was about credit. The original comparison was essentially "KOTOR2 style but bigger and better". Chris has many regrets and criticisms re: KOTOR2, so the name-dropping to build hype must've rubbed him the wrong way.

"A good bit of context for the approach is to think of what we did in Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II, with potentially more ground to cover and explore in each area." is for the size & gameplay style of the game not for how better/worse it'll be. Chris has problems if he's offended by this.

Flou

Arbiter

What doesn't rub him the wrong way when it comes to Obsidian?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom