Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter INSOMNIA: The Ark - dieselpunk sci-fi action-RPG set on a decaying space station

Jinn

Arcane
Have they made any progress on the game? Or is it still the same since release.

As far as I can tell it is in either the same shape, or slightly worse shape, than the release version. I'm pretty sure it's overall in worse shape.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
After playing more I have to say that the state of this game makes me angry and I understand Jinn now. There was so much potential here and they just squandered it.
Would you recommend getting it anyway in hopes they might fix it in the future?
It's your money, bruh, so only you can decide.

Insomnia's worst problem is not bugs but bad game design.

Bad design? Please explain.
Jinn covered most of it.

I'll add dated inventory system, awful world map transitions (combined with ubiquitous fetch quests), impossibility of leaving a map with hostile creatures + invisible walls, lack of explanation how game's systems work (after 10 15 hours I still didn't get what actually brings XP, and once again Jinn had to build a whole theory about how armor works).

You can call it bad implementation, sure. But this is still game design.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
impossibility of leaving a map with hostile creatures
That's actually a helpful thing as far as I am concerned.
There is a quest where you need to bring a TV-set. One of the ways is to take it from some rednecks living in a small room. If you steal it everybody turns hostile, the door becomes an invisible wall and you have to kill everybody to leave. Not really helpful or fun.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
I liked the inventory, reminded me of arcanum.
Nah, it's different.

Arcanum's has limited space and weight.
arcanum-inventory.png

Insomnia's has only weight (IIRC), you can scroll it down forever. The items only stack manually (see three separate money piles) which is annoying. In Arcanum they do not stack at all but it supports the idea of limited space.
insomnia_the_ark_review_igry-1539058139.jpg

Jinn

Arcane
Inventory is a cluttered mess made worse by the terrible autosort. Not good when looting junk is a big part of the gameplay. Usually inventory UI is not something I would complain about under most circumstances, but they managed to royally fuck this one up.

vmar

Savant
I've put about 5 hours into this game and I am enjoying it, but it just makes me want to replay Elex again.

BEvers

I'm forever blowing
Remember when this game came out and people said it was great?

Fresh update:

What's next?
In our previous update, we have mentioned INSOMNIA’s transition to the latest version of Unreal Engine 4. This switch is expected to improve the overall performance of the game and fix an array of issues that couldn't be addressed otherwise.

We are happy to let you know that the dev team is halfway through this process, but there’s more work to be done and testing to carry out in order to ensure everything works as expected.

Until next time :)

https://steamcommunity.com/games/783170/announcements/detail/3339883227879718646

Jinn

Arcane
Finished this last week finally. What a drag it was near the end. The only thing keeping me going was the story. Like I said before, gameplay falls apart around the 10 hour mark and doesn't really pick up again anytime after that.

I don't love this game anymore. It's kind of like the ex-girlfriend you had to convince yourself you still loved near the end of the relationship, but in the end you felt more a sense of hollowness mixed with contempt. I loved it at some point, but that point has gone and will never return.

Last edited:

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Insomnia could have been a dream RPG that Codex and outside world needed! Truly could and I hoped against logic and all bad omens that it will. I still do, though don't know why. Maybe that enthusiastic dev could drop by and tell me...

Codex Year of the Donut
https://steamcommunity.com/games/783170/announcements/detail/1743359227833174822
Old vs. New: spot the difference between v1.4 & v1.5
Feb 8 @ 4:21pm - Vault_13
c95675be0aa6afd4bb0a786df1e9c90974a49a7a.png

Hello everyone! Today, we would like to give you a first look at the changes that v1.5 will introduce to INSOMNIA. One of the greatest things about the 4.21.2 version of the Unreal Engine 4 is DirectX 12 support which brings dramatic changes to the appearance of in-game locations (click on the thumbnails below for full resolution):

As you can see, the lighting effects have been improved drastically, making Object 6 look and feel more realistic and sinister than ever before. You can also expect DirectX 11 support, even though INSOMNIA worked only with DirectX 10 initially:

One other thing we are really happy with is the texture streaming feature that fixes the missing textures issue that some of you have experienced before:

As more tests of v1.5 are carried out, we will be able to give you additional details regarding performance optimization.

Stay tuned for next week’s update!

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
They really want to make it look like Dead Space for some reason.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom