Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline The Age of North America is over. The time of Central-Eastern Europe has come.

Theldaran

Liturgist
Still, my view is that American quality should be superior, otherwise it's all a scam and developing in America is ridiculous. Right?

I know if a project is badly planned it's almost guaranteed to meet failure. Developers should follow some kind of hierarchy so the average Joe is just focused on his part and follows orders most of the time.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
In the beginning CD Projekt was just a publisher on the Polish market, famous for great localizations of games such as Baldur's Gate. Then they spread their wings and became a holding.

CD Projekt Red was created with the aim of producing games, while CD Projekt Investment was formed for business ventures. In 2007 CDPR published Witcher 1, a year later CDPI launched GOG.

Hard to say which branch is more profitable. Propably in 2015 it was CDPR, in other years, GOG.

AndrewCC

Educated
I think that we shouldn't wish for the end of any of the region's RPG production. The products that each can build are very distinct from a story feel/atmoshpere p.o.v. and cannot be replicated in another (see the countless tries by russian devs to do a Fallout clone) it's not possible because 50+ years of communism are baked into people's bones and DNA. If you tried to make e.g. Mass Effect in former USSR you'd end up with STALKER every time.
East Asian devs are equally irreplacebly unique.
As an exception I gotta mention that P:K managed to avoid feeling like a EEuro game at all, but I think that is 95% due to it being based on a Western IP and even emplying some Western devs.

Doktor Best

Arcane
Somehow i envision Lord_Potato as a stern looking but teary eyed dude wearing a fur hat while typing the opening post.

But its true to some degree. Europe is stronk on crpgs right now. A blessing.

Mortmal

Arcane
Wish it was true but hope is the first step to disappointment . Did atom RPG sold enough copies so that making atom 2 is viable ?

Egosphere

Arcane
Maybe. There's probably a grain of truth in Oscar's 'bros' post. America is more ideologically constrained today than it was 20 years ago, so the writing slowly drifts from creating unapologetic scenarios to 'playing it safe' and genuflecting before its audience to keep everyone happy. It's a straitjacket that will continue to tighten in the foreseeable future, until the only acceptable game narrative revolves around being the 'good' guy, fighting some generic 'bad' guys. Some of the stuff that was the norm 20 years ago would experience a visceral backlash today. Just look at the the storm surrounding that innocuous limerick in PoE, or the incredible butthurt in Kotaku's review of KC: D

Last edited:

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Probably way too early to start speaking of any sort of rising, but I think its marvelous that there are several Finnish tactical games that are being worked on.
End State, Druidstone, Iron Danger and Stirring Abyss are the one's that I'm aware of, but there are very few tactical or strategy games of Finnish origin before.

Kind of strange too; since fan base is here, but maybe game creating scene was more of an offshoot of demo scene than video/tabletop players.

Last edited:

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Maybe. There's probably a grain of truth in Oscar's 'bros' post. America is more ideologically constrained today than it was 20 years ago, so the writing slowly drifts from creating unapologetic scenarios to 'playing it safe' and genuflecting before its audience to keep everyone happy. It's a straitjacket that will continue to tighten in the foreseeable future, until the only acceptable game narrative revolves around being the 'good' guy, fighting some generic 'bad' guys. Some of the stuff that was the norm 20 years ago would experience a visceral backlash today. Just look at the the storm surrounding that innocuous limerick in PoE, or the incredible butthurt in Kotaku's review of KC: D
So what? You guys really think the main problem of poops such as Skyrim and Witcher compared with good games like Might & Magic, Realms of Arkania and Pool of radiance is ... the writing?

Serus

Arcane
Patron
another good example why nationalism is bad,somehow the pinacle of popamole gaming (the witcher series) are considered on par with the old classics.......
cant wait for the cyberpunk GOTY 2020 from the usual suspects.
I am Polish and a nationalist and I also think Witcher games suck (not that I played any past the first one - which sucked).

And so do You. How do you imagine for example Russian games being popular here among Poles or Polish ones being popular among Russians because of... wait for it... wait... a little more... because of "nationalism"!? How detached from reality one has to be to even conceive let alone stick to such idea is frankly beyond me. We already had this discussion on the Codex. We even had someone looking for nationalities of people liking The Witcher 3 (during a discussion around one of the polls iirc) and it turned out that it isn't more liked among the Potatoes than among the average Codex population. And even if it did - there is something like familiarity (with the books) not to mention marketing power it has in Potato to take into account.
You - or anyone else for that matter - haven't presented a shred of evidence to support your claim that popularity of certain games (made by any particular nationality) has anything to do with "nationalism", you just base it on an intuitive assumption at best, on butthurt at worst.

Egosphere

Arcane
So what? You guys really think the main problem of poops such as Skyrim and Witcher compared with good games like Might & Magic, Realms of Arkania and Pool of radiance is ... the writing?
Well, gaming is becoming more of a spectacle. There's a big push to increase the 'immersion' factor in gaming. The move to 3d; first person perspective; blowing up the size of the worlds and the number of npcs; increased focus on 'storytelling' across all genres ( even action games ). Those things might not make games better, but they'll definitely make them a lot worse if the writing is displaced by signalling of fealty to the red or ( most likely ) blue tribe of america.

tindrli

Arcane
yes.. sadly americans are geting stupid...i mean, look who is their president.. not to mention series of bad ... bah.. i dont give a fuck.

but just before anyone make any conclusion about my statement i want to mention that there is no stupider people that one from my country. and now you can all return to above mentioned

Last edited:

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Wish it was true but hope is the first step to disappointment . Did atom RPG sold enough copies so that making atom 2 is viable ?

Well, it's been like 11 days since the launch of Atom RPG? It's pretty early to ask about the sales numbers. Besides such games tend to have "long tails". And when it stops being a Steam exclusive and comes to other platforms it will enjoy more attention, especially on GOG, which seems a place fitting for such a game.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Very true. The orcs are the SJWs and the riders of Rohan are the remaining traditional American developers. They may have possibly ridden out one last time, from the doomed fortress of Helms Deep/Obsidian, but now they're out in the fields and in the open with Microsoft (so supposedly at an advantage right? Free reign and all that), but they should have migrated to the fortress of Minas Tirith (Poland) which I think is the last great fortress of man.

Curratum

The age of North America has been over for quite some time, you're about a decade late.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Still, my view is that American quality should be superior, otherwise it's all a scam and developing in America is ridiculous. Right?

I know if a project is badly planned it's almost guaranteed to meet failure. Developers should follow some kind of hierarchy so the average Joe is just focused on his part and follows orders most of the time.

You can enjoy the famous American quality in games like Fallout 76, Battlefield 5 or, from a more indie studio, Underworld Ascendant.

There is no reason for most of game companies being based in the USA other than tradition and the fact it's the world's biggest economy, where game development actually started, so there are lots of professionals and know how there. However, since then many things changed and world started catching up.

Theldaran

Liturgist

You can enjoy the famous American quality in games like Fallout 76, Battlefield 5 or, from a more indie studio, Underworld Ascendant.

There is no reason for most of game companies being based in the USA other than tradition and the fact it's the world's biggest economy, where game development actually started, so there are lots of professionals and know how there. However, since then many things changed and world started catching up.

Obviously we can't expect great things from AAA devs anymore. But why is that? Because devs are incompetent? No, it's because they're greedy corporations that try to please millions of normies. That's as removed from a niche like CRPG as I can think of.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Obviously we can't expect great things from AAA devs anymore. But why is that? Because devs are incompetent? No, it's because they're greedy corporations that try to please millions of normies. That's as removed from a niche like CRPG as I can think of.

And yet greed can manifest itself in different ways.

Companies like EA or Bethesda cannot hold themselves from placing micro transactions in their unfinished and bug-ridden games, for them 60$ you pay for the AAA game is not enough, they want more from you. And yet they do not even care to provide you with even the most basic funcionalities of the games you just purchased from them. How is that pleasing anyone except the shareholders? They are slowly but steadily digging their own graves.

On the other hand, you've got a company like CDPR. Also a big company, present in the stock market. And yet they have not introduced microtransactions in Witcher 3 (and confirmed there will be none in Cyberpunk 2077). They focused on making the game players want. Fixing the bugs that obviously appear in a project of such a scale. Creating quality expansion packs that provided 20-40 hours of fun for an honest price. Creating dozens of free dlcs.

It's a different way of thinking about the market and the playerbase. EA thinks in term of short-term profit, not caring it has long ago destroyed its opinion. Bethesda did the same with Fallout 76. And now they pay the price. How much the stock prices of EA fell this year, is it more than 40% already? Bethesda, being a private company can hide its losses better, but every piece of info that comes out of it concerning F76 is quite telling.

Curratum

The difference is that EA is big enough that its shit can flop for half a decade and they're still in business and the stock is trading.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom