Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Lord of Rigel - New Sci-Fi 4X

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/rhombusstudios/lord-of-rigel

https://www.lordofrigel.com

header.jpg

ss_e22c23b775a6bfb305d96433f8aa9910c6b051a0.1920x1080.jpg

ss_4c8c7bf2617287052e42fb229ddf38596041dae9.1920x1080.jpg

ss_b6e5a3dd6195783c1386e6f756bbf2e32290f749.1920x1080.jpg

:hmmm: Hmm.. They aren't hiding their inspiration, that's for sure. Still, could end up a decent game, although combat is RT instead of TB. Check the steam page if you're interested.

Last edited by a moderator:

Norfleet

The knockoffness is utterly shameless. We shall see. Let's hope I don't have to go through ridiculous convolutions to demolish uninhabited planets this time.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
I want this game in my life. The art design and features seem just right

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik

Iceberg Publishing Deal Signed!

Rhombus Studios is happy to announce that Lord of Rigel will now be "playing it cool" with Iceberg Interactive. Iceberg Interactive will be the publisher for Lord of Rigel and will provide us with additional knowledge and resources will be needed to make Lord of Rigel a successful franchise. A whole lot more to come!

Last edited:

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm surprised this project still exists. Back when its Kickstarter project emerged it was a blatant MOO2 clone featuring a text-to-speech narrator in its pitch video, so I had considered it a scam. IIRC it raised like 10 percent of its goal and failed.

In fact, here's the link.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Hey guys, I'm working on my new sci-fi 4X project, called Ruler of Deneb. Also putting the finishing touches on my other game, Administrator of Altair. Coming next Thursday.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Holiday Update
"We are dead!" "Omg 2019 is almost over!"

The above are probably the short and sweet summation of comments on the forums. The first post comment would be incorrect and the second would be correct. 2019 is almost over, but we are still alive.

So what the heck has happened? Lots...

Last winter/spring we were developing some of the late game features in Lord of Rigel. Including having a functional AI and beginning to get espionage and tactical into place. A few things happened that made us slow down and practically grind to a screeching halt. First was the number of bugs being found by play testers. One of the biggest issues with the Lord of Rigel code base has been developed by numerous coders. Ace and I as the two creators have never been versed in code. We have been reliant on others to implement our vision. The second is that because of this the code base has had lots of fingers and mindsets in it. What became clear last spring is that we did not have code that we felt comfortable in completing and that led to some disillusionment with the project. Additionally we got hit with a second realization. Unity licensing.

Lord of Rigel had been developed in Unity 4 and then upgraded and locked into version 5. Unity has changed their licensing system from being one time pay to a subscription service. After talking with the Unity team about our situation and trying some experimental porting of the game to Unity 2019 it became clear that the game would once again need to be fixed and secondly that we would need subscriptions. Neither was a road we wanted to go down. We have had continued issues with Unity over the years and had grown tired of half implemented and broken features. This has cost us months of work over the years. The other issue was the $600 or more a month in licensing fees we would need to finish the game for a game engine we have spent years fighting with.

For some time Ace and I have looked into developing a side project alternative using the Unreal engine. We really thought that this may be an option for us given Unreal Engine's licensing system, visual effects quality, robustness, and visual scripting. In particular the visual scripting seemed like an interesting feature and I spent a few months looking around the internet at tutorials and wrapping my head around what was possible in Blueprints (Unreal's visual scripting system).

After debating the pros and cons of trying to finish in Unity vs starting new in Unreal we made the call in June 2019 to move to Unreal. That made some waves and we lost of dedicated folks working on the project, but some really possible things have come from this decision.

1. Visual Scripting aka. I can code now
2. Enhanced visuals: Including full 3D colony scenes
3. A better licensing system
4. A far more robust and stable game engine with room for future expansion

All of these things are huge leaps for us. As one of the creators in LoR I have typically been involved in game design and testing but have not been apply to get deep into the code. For the past 6 months I have been learning to develop and have made significant progress in developing the Unreal version of LoR. Ace has also been able to make better visuals and is picking up visual scripting as well. We have far more control of our destiny now that we have ever had before.

So what does that mean for LoR's release? Well for once I truly feel confident that we are going to have a product to ship to you. So far as we have developed the game things are so much more stable and the game behavior consistent in Unreal than our Unity builds. Already we have numerous galaxy generation features implemented in Unreal that were still not implemented in the last version of Unity.

So far we have had an internal Build 1 out to some testers for their feedback and it includes galaxy generation. We are currently working on Build 2 which is a foundational build for the game. It involves player generation and colony management for player homeworlds. We are hoping to have that done by mid January and then move to build 3 which will include ship movement and colony management for other player worlds. We are looking at maintaining a 30 day build cycle for each build and ideally around 10 to 12 builds.

I know for many folks this isn't entirely the news of "game release imminent" that everyone including the development team was wanting. And we do feel like this move to Unreal was a much needed and now after making the leap a very long and overdue change that should have happened 2 years ago.

Below are some in game screenshots. Everything pictured below is running in game and coded with the exception of the last two tactical test scenes. Those are setup scenes are designed to help us test out shaders, map design, etc.They should give some indication as to the base quality of the models, etc. in game.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
1663863895109.png

demo up on STEAM :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom