Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Battle Brothers + Beasts & Exploration, Warriors of the North and Blazing Deserts DLC Thread

Reinhardt

Arcane
Hammer: 8.5 / 10 Awesome vs armor, causes great, debuffing injuries, 100 % stagger for the normal attack puts almost every enemy at the back of the turn order, AOE often useful too.
Also it's one of the cheapest high end weapons. And sound when you bash someone's head is very satisfying.

Whiskeyjack

Learned
I have axes and Maces equivalent. Axe aoe is basically theoretical so they're both primarily single target. So you're balancing more damage + shield damage versus 2 turn stun + dazed. I'll take the latter personally.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Day 11. Ambition to find any lair and destroy it.
vshm4j.jpg

Bandit leader didn't dropped his weapon or helmet, only armor...

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Tried to deal with some Lindwurms by luring them into group of Unholds.
Bad idea. Those things teamed up.
At least I managed to retreat and nearby trading caravan "contributed" necessary help while my polearms brought those worms down.
bq-5c28eb2a7b78c.png

Teut Busnet

Cipher
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
I have axes and Maces equivalent. Axe aoe is basically theoretical so they're both primarily single target. So you're balancing more damage + shield damage versus 2 turn stun + dazed. I'll take the latter personally.
Yeah, fair enough, there's not a lot between them.

Many of the big single targets are immune to stun though, in a big Orc camp or against heavy legionnaires I rather use one strike less than daze them and vs Unholds heavy armor (+'Indominable') is enough to face them 'undazed'.

Not a big fan of either Mace nor Axe, I have 5 Greatsword Bros and 3 Hammer Bros and 7 of them usually make up the frontline.

vota DC

Augur
Ok Bros, after the first experience with the DLC, let's rate two-handed weapons. I'll start:

• Greatsword: 9 / 10 Never bad, clearly the best vs mobs with it's versatile AOEs, reliable with the hitchance bonus. The 'Queen of all trades', if you will. Against strong single targets you'd rather have any other 2H weapon (except the Flail) though.
  • Hammer: 8.5 / 10 Awesome vs armor, causes great, debuffing injuries, 100 % stagger for the normal attack puts almost every enemy at the back of the turn order, AOE often useful too.
  • Axe: 6.5 / 10 Highest single target damage (theoretically) and great vs shields. Doesn't cause as handy injuries or status effects as the hammer though and the AOE can rarely be used.
  • Mace: 5.5 / 10 A good debuff weapon against strong, single targets that are hard to debuff otherwise. No AOE though and the damage output isn't great either, a niche weapon.
  • Flail: 3 / 10 Clearly the weakest one. You shouldn't have problems with shields once you start using 2H weapons anyway, so that quality falls flat, damage is bad even with headshots and 30% stunchance not reliable. AOE - see Axe.

Not everything needs to be balanced, but if you want a niche for every weapon, buff the flail a bit. What do you think?

Axe AOE is so strange. Why hitting even behind them is the only option for bros? Because waagh me slasha all? But they are humans. It is ok for the big berserker chain but makes no sense otherwise. I mean lorewise, for gameplay I guess axe with flexible aoe would be overpowered.

vazha

Arcane
Cannot agree on maces. Best frontile non-flanking weapon and the ultimate boss killer. Hammer AoE is flanks only so I prefer to go with 3 maces in the middle, 2 greatswords on each inner flank + 2 hammers on outer flanks. nothing, armored or unarmored, be it lindwurm, schrat or unhold/warlord stands a chance. The conqueror ate my mace yesterday. Went down in two turns without causing any damage.
Stun is underappreciated I think, its a real nice niche option to have against humans and undead, esp necros. But what makes a mace even more viable is the massive 20 fatique penalty it inflicts with every hit. Add to that the dazed fatique malus and potential injury (maces inflict more damage to health than hammers therefore proc more frequent and more severe injuries) and basically there is nothing that can stand against you.
Also, warscythes & maces have great sinergy. bash them, armor gone, sweep in with a warscythe.

vazha

Arcane
Ok Bros, after the first experience with the DLC, let's rate two-handed weapons. I'll start:

• Greatsword: 9 / 10 Never bad, clearly the best vs mobs with it's versatile AOEs, reliable with the hitchance bonus. The 'Queen of all trades', if you will. Against strong single targets you'd rather have any other 2H weapon (except the Flail) though.
  • Hammer: 8.5 / 10 Awesome vs armor, causes great, debuffing injuries, 100 % stagger for the normal attack puts almost every enemy at the back of the turn order, AOE often useful too.
  • Axe: 6.5 / 10 Highest single target damage (theoretically) and great vs shields. Doesn't cause as handy injuries or status effects as the hammer though and the AOE can rarely be used.
  • Mace: 5.5 / 10 A good debuff weapon against strong, single targets that are hard to debuff otherwise. No AOE though and the damage output isn't great either, a niche weapon.
  • Flail: 3 / 10 Clearly the weakest one. You shouldn't have problems with shields once you start using 2H weapons anyway, so that quality falls flat, damage is bad even with headshots and 30% stunchance not reliable. AOE - see Axe.

Not everything needs to be balanced, but if you want a niche for every weapon, buff the flail a bit. What do you think?

Axe AOE is so strange. Why hitting even behind them is the only option for bros? Because waagh me slasha all? But they are humans. It is ok for the big berserker chain but makes no sense otherwise. I mean lorewise, for gameplay I guess axe with flexible aoe would be overpowered.
from Mechanics perspective I think axes and flails were designed with some sort of an invincible lone berserker in mind. An one man army, if you will. Tank but with devastating offence. you jump sideways, get surrounded, lone wolf procs, you do round swing, say hit 3 people, reach advantage procs and thats +15 to defenses for you. With berserk + killing frenzy you get to have another go, utterly devastating enemies. Injuries and possible stun from flail dont hurt either. Ideally you d have to find a super talented recruit for it, with 3 stars in fatique and melee def at least and enough base resolve not to break when he s surrounded. That effectively leaves hedges, sellswords and to a lesser extent wildmen and brawlers as viable options.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Because i'm filthy rich decided to spend some money and hire two archers. First one is fearless hunter with 57 base skill and 3 stars in ranged. Second - bowyer with 42 ranged and no stars...

Whiskeyjack

Learned

from Mechanics perspective I think axes and flails were designed with some sort of an invincible lone berserker in mind. An one man army, if you will. Tank but with devastating offence. you jump sideways, get surrounded, lone wolf procs, you do round swing, say hit 3 people, reach advantage procs and thats +15 to defenses for you. With berserk + killing frenzy you get to have another go, utterly devastating enemies. Injuries and possible stun from flail dont hurt either. Ideally you d have to find a super talented recruit for it, with 3 stars in fatique and melee def at least and enough base resolve not to break when he s surrounded. That effectively leaves hedges, sellswords and to a lesser extent wildmen and brawlers as viable options.
Even if that is true, I think Axes should have the same swing as hammers and swords instead of the super situational round swing. Hammers would still have armor damage + stagger to differentiate them, and swords would have the straight line attack.

Edit: or do I understand the head hit mechanic with axes? If it hits both does it do double damage?

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
This DLC made swords a lot more useful than what they used to be. Plenty of tough enemies get downed much easier with swords and Unholds are a pretty solid reason for using cleavers (for the first time in my case). Flails feel pretty "meh", tho. Kinda agree with Teut on the 2H bit and I'm shifting my initial two-hander from the traditional 2H-Axe role towards Greatsword. Those new critters just BEG to be slashed.

Fun little meta-shift. Numbers are unchanged, but new enemies changed the game in favor of Swords and Spears, IMHO. Still think Axe-Shield-Heavy is the "Standard" build. Also, any favorite strats on armor mods? Anyone else thinks the new Perk (-1 turn on Status Effect) is kinda...good?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Overhype Studios I demand a refund. It is now 5:19AM, I'm on my 21st restart and I gotta be ready for New Year's party tomorrow. If coke is illegal this should be too

Reinhardt

Arcane
Sold all my accumulated stuff in friendly city with ambushed trade roads for huge profit. Was really happy for ~1 minute until arrived to another friendly city just down the road. It has ambushed trade roads AND seasonal fair.:negative:

Reinhardt

Arcane
Not just drunkard. Drunkard with 3 stars in m.atk and m.def and 2 stars in hp. And +5 m.def from sure footing. But yes, she was whipped. I was too angry.

vazha

Arcane
its your fault for not giving uniques to reserves. Drunkards cannt lose equiped items. Seriously, drunkard is the second best trait (after iron lungs) for a melee frontliner. I have purposefully got meatshields killed in early games so that my guys would get that trait.

Whiskeyjack

Learned
Okay - 12 Alps when they get you on the road is annoying. No time to prep and the battle took about an hour to crawl that 12 man stack around the map.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Okay - 12 Alps when they get you on the road is annoying. No time to prep and the battle took about an hour to crawl that 12 man stack around the map.
Nah, annoying - it's whne you get ambushed by them in the woods. When you can't move as blob and wake up everyone every turn it's whole new experience.

Reinhardt

Arcane
10o4mwx.png

I blame CheatEngine Sarissofoi for this.

I was drunk. So it's still only 12 girls on the battlefield, others don't get exp and don't fight, but at least they got morale bonus for being in main party.

Sarissofoi

Arbiter
Reinhardt.
I need to remind you that here you can only blame
Krauts
Bonus points
if you blame them for everything.
Double bonus points
if you are actually right.
Pro tip
you always right blaming a Kraut because its always Kraut fault
Damn snow niggers. They are enemies of civilization and progress.

vmar

Savant
I bought this game back when it was still in EA, and holy shit I can't believe I waited so long to play, it's amazing. :incline:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom