Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter ATOM RPG - Wasteland Soviet style! - now with Dead City update

Will you back?

• I will consider it!

Votes: 39 54.9%
  • No! I would never!..

Votes: 9 12.7%
  • kingcomrade

Votes: 23 32.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I do think I found first game braking bug the first AI powered door reject all the answers concerning what was your position in Institute; got two notes, keycard and photo from suitcase. Maybe I miss some cleverly eaten by rat puzzle part?
You have to find and read a few notes to get the right answers,they appear after you read the notes.

cruelio

Savant
This game is pretty terrible. My quest log is full of quests that just boil down to "go to location, talk to someone, walk back to quest giver." I'm talking I have to scroll to see the entire quest log and it's full of shit like that. Insult to injury, a lot of them don't even tell you where to go and force you to talk to every pointless NPC in every map to find the person you're looking for. That's lots of pointless dialogue prompts to click through forever.

Whatever, even New Vegas had lots of terrible fetch quests and it was still good. Well in New Vegas I didn't have to SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWLY walk across this terrible world map. I can't even alt tab out in borderless mode because I'm constantly interrupted by prompts to tell cultists and raiders to fuck off with 99% chance of success. Did these people play their own game? Did they even play Fallout 2, where your characters move at a brisk pace and isn't constantly being interrupted? Also, the only location I found memorable that was at least distinguishable from "post apocalyptic shithole rendered in shades of brown, AKA present day eastern Europe" was the circus.

The combat is nothing special and the writing is humorous for being translated from insane Russian. That doesn't make up for the truly terrible quest design bloated with countless pointless, do nothing quests.

Last edited:

AdolfSatan

Arcane
You know what? He's right. We demand quest markers, Atomboy ! I'm playing games to have fun, I don't wanna think for myself or any bullshit like that.

But really, all jokes aside, it'd be a nice feature to be able to have a fast-forward button on the world map.

cruelio

Savant
You know what? He's right. We demand quest markers, Atomboy ! I'm playing games to have fun, I don't wanna think for myself or any bullshit like that.

But really, all jokes aside, it'd be a nice feature to be able to have a fast-forward button on the world map.

There are multiple quests that are just "I miss my friend/father/arch nemesis. Go find them." There aren't any directions or anything.

AdolfSatan

Arcane
Might it be because if they knew their whereabouts the quest would have no reason to be at all?
And they do give clues as to where to start searching, but you need to pay attention when you read.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
I think the quest log complaint is valid - it's a mess.
We should be able to filter entries by location.

cruelio

Savant
kalvbN1.jpg

You literally don't even know if this guy is even alive. Oh he's a bandit. I'll check bandit town. He's not in bandit town. The whole map is full of bandits.

Can you see this is a far cry from "give me quest markers?" This quest isn't unique.

cruelio

Savant
Please don't make me go on screen capping shit from the journal that's all like this. Please. Please just accept a criticism of this game. It won't ruin your day. It probably won't even ruin your enjoyment of this game. Please god be a reasonable person and just go "okay that sucks but I still like the game." That's fine. It's fine to like a game that has flaws. I think the flaws are so bad that the game itself is unplayable, but you apparently don't. That's fine.

AdolfSatan

Arcane
Not telling the solution itself, but adding spoilers in case:
The point to that very specific quest is that the guy left his life as a bandit behind and undertook a huge effort to conceal his true identity. He is supposed to be extremely hard to find, to the point where you might beat the game without ever finishing this quest-line.

Every other quest I can think of in the style of find X gave you a starting clue.

I think the quest log complaint is valid - it's a mess.
We should be able to filter entries by location.
You're right here, tho.

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Keep visiting new locations, you'll find that one eventually.
Generally speaking I haven't had issues with the quest log, location tells where you are supposed to go and description tells you what to do. Only thing it's lacking is the entry history for individual quests, makes it harder at times to remember where the quest giver was.

RK47

Patron
I think you're over-exaggerating this quest. It's clear this person wants revenge badly but he just doesn't know where to look. My biggest problem is I can't really ask anyone else about this infamous man.

Unplayable game is very far from the truth. There's no game stopping bugs so far. And most of the issues can be described as bad UI or design decisions.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
his game is pretty terrible. My quest log is full of quests that just boil down to "go to location, talk to someone, walk back to quest giver." I'm talking I have to scroll to see the entire quest log and it's full of shit like that. Insult to injury, a lot of them don't even tell you where to go and force you to talk to every pointless NPC in every map to find the person you're looking for. That's lots of pointless dialogue prompts to click through forever.

If you hate the quest log in ATOM, you’ll really hate the quest log in Fallout 1 and 2.

Edit: it tells me to “find the water chip,” but it doesn’t even tell me where to go and forces me to talk to every pointless NPC in every map to find the thing I’m looking for!

Last edited:

Okagron

Prophet
I'm actually glad there's no shit quest markers telling me where to go. Means i actually have to talk to people, gather information, like a search quest should be.

RK47

Patron
Alright, new discovery today.

You can lower a shopkeeper personality if you want a slight discount.
A lowered personality results in lower Barter after all.
So if you want the best prices, you should consume everything that buffs your Personality & Barter while giving the Trader everything that lowers Personality & Barter (Onion, Alcohol etc)
But that's not enough, you'll notice the best traders have the best Barter skill, therefore the worst prices for you.
Compare the gun store owner inside the Commerce compound with the market folks just outside in Krasno. There's just no contest. The only problem is the market people have less cash to pay you with.
How to solve this? Well, the first option is to find a locker in Krasno and stuff your unwanted loot inside, wait a while - these stores replenish cash over time. Gradually liquidate the goods.
The second option is more random, carry a few valuable loot while traveling in hopes of running into trader caravans. They usually pay more for your goods and sell their stuff for less.

Or do both at the same time. :)

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Alright, new discovery today.

You can lower a shopkeeper personality if you want a slight discount.
A lowered personality results in lower Barter after all.
So if you want the best prices, you should consume everything that buffs your Personality & Barter while giving the Trader everything that lowers Personality & Barter (Onion, Alcohol etc)
But that's not enough, you'll notice the best traders have the best Barter skill, therefore the worst prices for you.
Compare the gun store owner inside the Commerce compound with the market folks just outside in Krasno. There's just no contest. The only problem is the market people have less cash to pay you with.
How to solve this? Well, the first option is to find a locker in Krasno and stuff your unwanted loot inside, wait a while - these stores replenish cash over time. Gradually liquidate the goods.
The second option is more random, carry a few valuable loot while traveling in hopes of running into trader caravans. They usually pay more for your goods and sell their stuff for less.

Or do both at the same time. :)

Power sia

Fake edit: 1 post away from 1337

cruelio

Savant
his game is pretty terrible. My quest log is full of quests that just boil down to "go to location, talk to someone, walk back to quest giver." I'm talking I have to scroll to see the entire quest log and it's full of shit like that. Insult to injury, a lot of them don't even tell you where to go and force you to talk to every pointless NPC in every map to find the person you're looking for. That's lots of pointless dialogue prompts to click through forever.

If you hate the quest log in ATOM, you’ll really hate the quest log in Fallout 1 and 2.

Edit: it tells me to “find the water chip,” but it doesn’t even tell me where to go and forces me to talk to every pointless NPC in every map to find the thing I’m looking for!

Can you tell me which quests in those games just go "there's a guy out there in the wasteland, go find him?" Can you tell me how fast your character moves on that map and how often they're interrupted by pointless speech checks with 99% success rates?

cruelio

Savant
Remember the best quests in Fallout 1 and 2? The ones that makes you clear out lots of annoying critters that are no threat to you but all take their turns individually and move really slowly? What if every town in the game had those? More amazing quest design.

gLCp07Y.jpg

It's 2018 and CRPGS are still having quests that involve killing giant rats.

cruelio

Savant
hEc71oF.jpg

I'm loving this quest. Timeless political references that no one is going to forget in ten years was my favorite part of Fallout 2.

P5dcB9X.jpg

I think I love this quest more though. The opportunity to revisit every location I've already visited, on the world's slowest world map? Remember the quest in Fallout 1 and 2 that did that? I don't, but maybe I'm not a real fan of those games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom