Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
MCA: How dare they use KOTOR 2 as a -- breathes heavily -- comparison! At least have the decency to quote someone who worked on it! Fucking devils must think the Outer Worlds is the best thing since sliced bread!

Also MCA: I like Bethesda's take on Fallout! It's a complete betrayal of the games I've worked on with no input from the original team, but hey, past is prologue! And who says Fallout can't have Americana? Can too! COUNTRY ROADS! TAKE ME HOME!

moon knight

Matt7895's alt
hello friends tell me more about the flaw system
QS4wdKG.jpg

This makes no sense tbh, how does encounter something a lot of times makes you afraid of it? It should have the opposite effect.

nikolokolus

Arcane

This makes no sense tbh, how does encounter something a lot of times makes you afraid of it? It should have the opposite effect.
Riiiiiight ... just ask a combat vet if more or less high stress, violent encounters make you more or less likely to be traumatized.

Edit:
To be fair, exposure to a stressor for an irrational fear can increase tolerance, but there's nothing irrational about an aversion to a real threat to your life.

Last edited:

Quillon

Arcane

Riiiiiight ... just ask a combat vet if more or less high stress, violent encounters make you more or less likely to be traumatized.

Edit:
To be fair, exposure to a stressor for an irrational fear can increase tolerance, but there's nothing irrational about an aversion to a real threat to your life.

Would depend on individuals I guess, one might keep getting better - longer before traumatized... guess its why they made it optional, you'll decide for your character. Seems its a bit cyberpunky; instead of losing humanity, you're getting flawed to get more perks/cyberware :P

McPlusle

Savant
Are Chris's Tweets supposed to be a parody of the obnoxious Redditor/YouTuber following that Obsidian has received in the past few years?

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The idea is good, but I'm unsure about its implementation. I like how fighting certain enemies will give you certain effects, but the effect is just weird. You fight an enemy type several times, so you're offered to take on a handicap in exchange for a perk point (potentially nullifying part of the phobia if a perk affects the same stat). It's just very muddled. Compare this to the challenge perks in New Vegas, where you kill a lot of insects and get a damage bonus against insects. The causality is clear and the new effect is rewarding. Getting a generic point to spend is never as rewarding as a unique perk.

Phobias act like traits, except traits are usually very clear. You pick Small Frame and you get more agility, but your bones break more easily. Makes sense. Opt-in handicaps in exchange for perk points just seems strange, and moreover not like a phobia at all.
The idea would make more sense in a survival horror game, but without the positive effect and player choice. Run past several groups of mutant dogs? Well now you're phobic of them, lowering your stamina whenever you're near them. Getting to the end of the game will be even harder now, puny player.

Duraframe300

Arcane
8 million views.

:slamdunk:

It's already approaching 8.5 as well which makes me think it may even break 10 Million, surpassing Witcher 3 and possibly catching up to Cyberpunk.
If the game doesn't suck and they avoid major pr disasters this is pretty much guaranteed slam dunk.
Another stat I forgot to mention: The most viewed Mass Effect trailer in comparison has 6.9 Million views (Andromeda Announcement).

Edit: And it slowed down/came to a halt after 8.5. Nice though.

Last edited:

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
It's a pretty good hype trailer. The only troubling thing aesthetically is the uncanny valley lip synch which may be fixed by the time of release.

passerby

Arcane
They got lucky and got a shot at vacum temporarily created by Bethesda and Gearbox, Bethesdard Fallout and Borderlands fans didn't have their fix for a long time.

Latelistener

Arcane
I wonder if you understand that Borderlands is basically a first-person Diablo and is all about loot-hunting which is nowhere to be seen here.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I wonder if you understand that Borderlands is basically a first-person Diablo and is all about loot-hunting which is nowhere to be seen here.
I'm sure there are a bunch of 'mainstream' gamers that see the teaser and are more taken in by the combat than they are the narrative elements. They see wacky shooting and that's about it.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The Outer Worlds might be an interesting test case. If you make a game which looks kind of like a Bethesda RPG, plays kind of like a Bethesda RPG, and is directly marketed towards Bethesda RPG fans, but isn't actually open world, will they still like it? How crucial is the open-worldness, really?

Quillon

Arcane
I don't imagine Starfield will be open-world(single huge map) either, it comes with the setting(unless bethesda would go procedural/NMS), otherwise Obs could've easily chosen to make an "open-world" if the game were confined to a certain location/not a planet hopping setting.

Dragon Age Inquisition's "multi-open worlds" weren't particularly a big issue either and it sounds like TOW will be similar to that, prolly not as expansive(and empty).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom