Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Funposter

Arcane
Bingo. Obsidian and InXile were not bought out by Microsoft because they were releasing popular games.
Since Microsoft is not in the business of charity, one wonders why they did invest in these two companies.

Xbone has no gaems and MS is desperate. They also need more shit for the Windows store

Funposter

Arcane
It didn't even have the Dungeons and Dragons name. Most casuals saw "Pathfinder" and went, what that supposed to be? Yeah, it's basically Dungeons and Dragons, but you expect the average gamer to know that?

Actually, the average DnD gamer DID KNOW THAT. People who are autistic enough to care about DnD would at least have a faint idea of what Pathfinder is...
TBH I agree with this. I am not a tabletop guy, and even I knew that Pathfinder was basically a jazzed up version of 3.5e purely from hanging around people online and IRL that actually do like to play tabletop stuff. However, if the Pathfinder name did have any effect on the game, it was probably obfuscating that the fact that it was a CRPG, since the first Pathfinder game on Steam was some digital card game released in 2017, by Obsidian of all people.

Cael

Arcane
I had never heard of Pathfinder until this game. But I haven't followed D&D since 3e was released
this site vastly overestimates the amount of people that care about D&D 3.5
Fixed it for you.

New players go ape about 5th Ed instead, which is my dilemma when trying to organise a group for DnD. I absolutely refuse to have anything to do with WotC after the 4th Ed and 3.5 forum fiasco.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
The real test of how good a game is, is not how it sells, but how much its sequel sells. As far as I know, Deadfire sold roughly five times less copies (110k+) than the first game (500k+).

Simply googling "poe 2 sales" really makes it clear that even mainstream portals consider it a financial failure. It has nothing to do with PoE 2. It has everything to do with PoE 1 and the franchise in general.

Lastly, why financial success is more important to the OP than cult success is a different matter.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Since Microsoft is not in the business of charity, one wonders why they did invest in these two companies.
inXile has a potential D:OS competitor that's already largely funded and Obsidian can hypothetically repeat New Vegas's success (The Outer Worlds being in better-looking shape than Stormlands helps). Fabulously optimistic.

Cael

Arcane
people who complain about unity don't know what they're talking about
:nocountryforshitposters:

Unity is good for smaller flash type games. For large and complex games, it is shit. One of the first things they teach you in Engineering is to break down problems into managable sizes and solve them individually. In programming, you are taught to produce things in modules so that it becomes easier to keep track of things and debug (plus you can reused stuff easier).

Unity doesn't allow this. It is all one big package, which is very evident when you try to install the bugfixes Owlcat is putting out.

Codex Year of the Donut

Unity is good for smaller flash type games. For large and complex games, it is shit. One of the first things they teach you in Engineering is to break down problems into managable sizes and solve them individually. In programming, you are taught to produce things in modules so that it becomes easier to keep track of things and debug (plus you can reused stuff easier).
Because as everyone knows, the first thing you do when making a game is not actually make the game but make the engine and never actually get around to making the game.

Unity doesn't allow this. It is all one big package, which is very evident when you try to install the bugfixes Owlcat is putting out.
Did you ever consider they're just inexperienced? What you're describing could be accomplished by simply using xdelta. If you don't believe me, consider why the pirated patches are so much smaller(hint: they use xdelta)

Cael

Arcane

Because as everyone knows, the first thing you do when making a game is not actually make the game but make the engine and never actually get around to making the game.

Did you ever consider they're just inexperienced? What you're describing could be accomplished by simply using xdelta. If you don't believe me, consider why the pirated patches are so much smaller(hint: they use xdelta)
Probably the reason why the Unity games inevitably becomes so bloated and inefficient. They don't understand the engine like they would have if they did build it from the ground up. That is the problem with modern game devs.

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I don't understand why this is a thread? Of course it did. No one expected otherwise.

because safav has to wear this in public:
71ou628zkl-L-UL1000.jpg

Elex

Arbiter
I had never heard of Pathfinder until this game. But I haven't followed D&D since 3e was released
this site vastly overestimates the amount of people that care about D&D 3.5
Fixed it for you.

New players go ape about 5th Ed instead, which is my dilemma when trying to organise a group for DnD. I absolutely refuse to have anything to do with WotC after the 4th Ed and 3.5 forum fiasco.
yep 5ed D&D is full mainstream, that mean 80%of 5ed new players have no idea about pathfinder.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
The Pillars threads keep delivering. I have to say, this year's Deadfire vs. Kingmaker drama is almost as good as the Age of Decadence vs Underrail drama.

Whiny-Butthurt-Liberal

This is my final thread for awhile.

Every talking point against Deadfire has been dismantled. It has more sales, better reviews, and greater prestige than Kingmaker. I can finally rest in peace knowing justice is served.
Did Micro$'s check not clear?

Ghramunhir

Novice

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom