Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Opinion: Deadfire has the best quest design of any CRPG

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
I'm going to breakdown a quest in Deadfire to show how it has the best quest and level design of any CRPG

Now I could go with an obvious example like Fort Deadlight or Arkemyrs Manor, but instead I will choose a less obvious example - Hasongo

YJ1V2Za.png

The quest begins at marker #1 where your party discovers the fortress has been ransacked. You can head inside the storage room at marker #2 to find some holed up Rauitaian soldiers, who inform you that Coral Naga have taken over the fortress and their leader is in the lighthouse.

xJyjBhy.jpg

Proceeding forward, your party will be ambushed at marker #3 by 9 coral naga archers and 4 coral naga swordsman on an elevated platform protected by a large barricade (#4). If your party isn't high enough level, you will most likely be slaughtered instantly. If you can survive the ambush and make it up the stairs without dying, you will need to use your grenade skill or AoE damage spells to destroy the barricade quickly. Alternatively, if your stealth skill is high enough you can sneak past the ambush.

QGdxpLO.jpg

After surviving the ambush, you will find the next two paths blocked by very tough mobs. The mob at marker #5 is virtually impossible because shamans will summon unlimited reinforcements. The mob at #6 is easier, although will still be challenging at low levels. Thankfully, there is a way to bypass mob #5 without combat.

NvGXY9C.jpg

The non-combat approach requires making it to the kitchen at marker #7, although just running up to it will alert the mob at #5. You have two choices. If your stealth skill is sufficiently high, you can sneak up to it. Otherwise, you can use a rope & grappling hook and your athletics skill to shimmy over to the rooftop at marker #8. Either way, you're now in the kitchen.

PE2_Kitchen.png

From the kitchen, you can use the flooded hallway to access the Dining Hall and Cannon Ramparts. In order to know which way to go, you need to pass a survival skill check of 4.

Heading over to the cannon ramparts requires passing a might check of 14 or having a prybar. Heading to the Dining Hall requires passing a party-wide athletics check of 8 or one of your characters will be injured. Exiting the Dining Hall will put you on the other side of the impossible mob.

Optional Objective: Use the bombard to eliminate the central mob

tOT8Ani.jpg

Now that you've figured out how to bypass the mob, you're in a position to use the bombard to eliminate the tough mob at marker #6. Doing this requires three things.

1. Finding ammunition.

The only ammunition is in the Fleet Masters Office. The only way to get into the office is to pass a mechanics check of 10 or backtrack to marker #2 and ask Zuhira for the key. Once you're in, you can speak to the Fleet Master and he will give you ammunition.

2. Positioning the Bombard

This requires passing a might check of 18 or finding some cooking oil in the Kitchen

3. Aiming the Bombard

This requires having Maia in your party or finding the artillery manual in the Cannon Rampart

Once you complete all these steps, you can fire the bombard at the central mob and eliminate it.

0FKXwGF.jpg

After completing the optional objective, there are three paths to the lighthouse.

Path #1 will have you ambushed by 8 coral naga archers on an elevated platform, similar to the first encounter at the beginning of the quest. The difference is that there's no way to reach them in melee without first entering the Engineering Workshop, which is impossible if you're already in combat. So either you have a strong ranged party, sneak past them, or run past them (since they can't follow you either). Alternatively, you can take Path #2 and hit the archers from behind, making the fight much easier.

Or if you want to avoid combat altogether, you can take Path #3 by passing a party-wide athletics check of 8 and climbing up the ramparts. However if one of your party members has below 8 athletics, you will fail and be injured.

174621091.jpg

In the lighthouse you will be confronted by Sugann, the leader of the Coral Naga.

He will fight you unless you pass one of several high level skill check, and then demand that you find the spirit of one of his people. This requires backtracking to the Flooded Hallway and going to the Cannon Ramparts, which if you remember requires passing a might check of 14 or having a prybar. There you will find a Coral Naga spirit called Yanass. Ask him to come with you and head back to Sugann.

80px-Portrait_Yanass_Convo.png
179px-PE2_Yanass.png

After heading back to Sugann with Yanass, he will let you touch the Adra Pillar. You will have a conversation with Eothas, where he will ask you several questions. Your dialogue options determine which of several unique abilities you recieve.

At this point you can say your farewell to the Naga and head back to Neketaka... that is unless Maia is in your party. She will demand bloodshed for her fallen brothers at Hasongo. In order to convince her to back down, you need to pass a reputation check of 2 with her or the Royal Deadfire Company. Otherwise you will be forced to massacre Sugann and his men, which can be tough at low levels.

--------------------

So there you have it. This isn't even in the top 5 most complex quests in the game, yet it's more complex than anything you will find in any other CRPG.

Last edited:

Sentinel

Arcane
too bad none of the writing or characters are remotely interesting so none of this matters
I had more fun reading through a 1790 page long administrative law book than playing poe2

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Seriously though, this is only the 6th most complex quest in the game. Even if you hate Obsidian, you have to admit their quest design is way ahead of other developers.

Their level design as well. I can't think of any other RPG where there are multiple branching paths through dungeons based on your skills.

Last edited:

Zibniyat

Arcane
Why is the ammunition so far from the bombard? Shouldn't there be a storage room closer to it?

Whiny-Butthurt-Liberal

If I ever manage to win the lottery and become a billionaire, I will probably have enough free time to where I can actually give a shit about this sort of stuff.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
This is my final thread for awhile.

Every talking point against Deadfire has been dismantled. It has more sales, better reviews, and greater prestige than Kingmaker. I can finally rest in peace knowing justice is served.
You couldn't even last a week you fucking retard.

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I find it disturbing that all you storyfags can bring up against Safav Hamon is the quality of Deadfire's writing.

I can't play Deadfire because of my integrated graphics card, but his arguments sound more convincing than your storyfagy bitching.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Hasongo has been praised numerous times here, it isn't an overlooked secret. It's an exception, however, just like Fort Deadlight and Arkemyr's. Those are probably the only noteworthy quests in base game, maybe also that imp quest I haven't done yet. Everything else is pretty meh.

Lhynn

Arcane
I find it disturbing that all you storyfags can bring up against Safav Hamon is the quality of Deadfire's writing.

I can't play Deadfire because of my integrated graphics card, but his arguments sound more convincing than your storyfagy bitching.
The writing is so bad it would be better if it didnt have any. Fallout 4s writing is actually on a higher level than Pillars of eternity 2.

Other than that the character system is bland, the basics of it, the d100 and % based way anything interacts with it is so fucking banal. It instantly puts off anyone interested in character building. Tho multiclassing is actually a very good addition.

Itemization is fairly decent some items actually allow you to plan builds around them.

Overall it's a meh game. Wouldn't recommend but I wouldn't replay either.

Edit: exploration isn't bad. It isn't good either, you feel nothing when exploring and discovering shit. And there isn't anything cool to discover either, but it's not bad.

Generic-Giant-Spider

This nigga be drawing lines and circles on pictures like he's discussing football plays or traffic jams.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected

They were always going to find a reason to trash it, and writing is the path of least resistance.

Gameplay is harder to discredit, because the level of customization, itemization, quest complexity, level design, exploration, reactivity, and skill checks exceeds most CRPGs.

Sentinel

Arcane
As showcased by the Codex's TOP RPG LIST EVER!!!!, writing, story, characters and setting are the most important aspects of RPGs.
PoE fails horribly on all of these.

Lord Andre

Arcane
If you have a party doesn't that mean you have every skill covered anyway and the whole muh complexity angle is meaningless ?

Besides, that shit DOES sound boring. Like we found a way to put more boring shit inbetween the boring shit that is PoE repetitive combat with copy pasted mobs. Rejoice at the complexity peasant!
Fuck off!
And the reward for all the fuss? Choose what color you want on this meaningless sticker we're gonna slap on your cap. Much c&c, are you impressed yet ?
NO! Fuck off and kill yourself! lol

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
If you have a party doesn't that mean you have every skill covered anyway and the whole muh complexity angle is meaningless ?

No, there are 14 skills and a party member can only cover two if they want to pass the high level checks. That means you can only have 10 skills maximum covered with any party.

547133695.jpg

There are also watcher only skill checks, and party-wide skill checks.

An example of a party-wide skill check is path #3 in the opening post. Every character needs to have 8 athletics or you can't scale the wall, which is unlikely for most parties.

2house2fly

Magister
Edit: exploration isn't bad. It isn't good either, you feel nothing when exploring and discovering shit. And there isn't anything cool to discover either, but it's not bad.
exploring the overworld gets you at least two unique weapons off the top of my head, various encounters and scripted events off the beaten path, and a party member. Most of the time you'll be picking up fruit and money, but there's cool stuff out there.

No, it's not an exception. I chose it specifically because it's not the best content in the game, to show that even a middling quest is still exceptionally well designed.

Splintered Reef, Drowned Barrows, Crookspur, Poko Kohara, The Bardatto Vault, Ashen Maw, Fort Deadlight, Arkemyrs Manor, Rymrgand's Realm, and The Temple of Revelation all have better content.
oh hey, did you do the final DLC? It's pretty decent

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Safav, a lie can't be an opinion, it's still a lie. You can't say that PoE2 has good quest design without lying, so... it can't be an opinion.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
If I ever manage to win the lottery and become a billionaire, I will probably have enough free time to where I can actually give a shit about this sort of stuff.

Even BasedMusk has to work +100 hour work-weeks! And he still gets dumped by women too.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Then name an RPG with better quest design

Oh, that one's easy, and I'll even do you the favor of naming one from the same company: Fallout New Vegas.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom