Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter ATOM RPG - Wasteland Soviet style! - now with Dead City update

Will you back?

• I will consider it!

Votes: 39 54.9%
  • No! I would never!..

Votes: 9 12.7%
  • kingcomrade

Votes: 23 32.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Vrab

Learned

Oh stop being so obnoxiously difficult. Pickpocketing works literally the same way it did in Fallout or Baldur's Gate. There's actually an improvement because in most cases you get a 1st strike instead of an instant game over. You just firmly decided to be dissatisfied and will fabricate problems just to keep it up. Funnily enough you haven't touched on actual issues, like stealth not being stealth. Probably because you have 0 intent to offer any actual criticism but keep spewing half-baked bullshit. You're not being critical, you're being dumb.

Okagron

Prophet
Got a quest from a guy
to deal with the parents of the tyrannic overlord that turned the future into a dictatorship and the parents of this dictator apparently live in the Circus.

Welp, nothing left for me but to see this quest through.

Iluvcheezcake

Prophet
Got a question -

- i did not kill Grishka but let him go, reported to the Head that the snitch escaped and now i cant get any more quests from the Head of the village. I normally got quests from Dan and from Grishka at the factory. Is that a bug or ...
Missed your post. What happens when you go to the Factory? Doesn't Dan pay you for helping Grishka and send you to his test trial?

He does, but I dont get any other quests in Otradnoye.... unlike when you kill the snitch.

Also, think you missed a chance there for a alternate way with taking Grishka to the abandoned house and THEN letting him go, with a extra high speechcraft check to convince the Head that the deed is done.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Paid informant informator 10,000 rubles and treat him to 40 sticks of cigarettes. He was a nice chap.

:troll:

Last edited:

oscar

Arcane
Comrades do you know where to find the third vet to interview the Navigator? He is supposed to be drunk but he is not in local bar nor in any outskirt houses.
In front of the tavern asking for money during the night. During the day he sleeps and you can't interact with him. Did anyone find out what the "cursed" dude in one of the houses is connected to? It feels like a quest.

I pissed him off prior to this quest and he refuses to talk to me.. no way to conclude the interview?

redivider

Novice
Ive only found 2 bugs so far;
There is a bug (was in 1.0, might be fixed) where I passed the speech check in Old Scrapyard and got a "gift for my brothers birthday" the statue of Lenin BUT ALSO the next area load/unload the car spawned on my location. Another *bug* is if you kill the guys at Dead City Harbor you cant go back cuz you need 30 Diesel for the boat, but how does the captain bring you back then (for some rubles only)?

Iluvcheezcake

Prophet
The malus is so low im sniping shit with 1 STR with ease.

Also, the crazy dude in the forest (random encounter) - if i kill his ass for the ammo and the old AK, am i missing something plot wise?

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
What is pickpocketing "defence" even based on? Some NPCs are clearly much easier to pickpocket than others, as can be easily tested between caravan guards and caravan merchants. I figured it was Attention, but after giving a merchant a lot of ganja, I noticed no difference, despite the fact that it should've tanked his Attention.

Also, omega-lulz over the fact that the vast majority of merchants and such in the Soviet Wasteland refuse to accept alcohol because they're not "in the mood" or because it's "too early", but have no qualms about smoking 80 cigarettes in a row, blazing 12 spliffs straight-up, or eating 8-10 raw onions, no questions asked.

filpan

Scholar
Is there ammo anywhere for Vitinsky experimental rifle other than those 9 bullets that you find near it?

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
The game encourages specilization in weapons or you can use weapons as the need arises?

You can utilize two or three types effectively assuming your stats are suitable, since the skill requirements aren't super high for most worthwhile weapons that actually have ammo available. Perk points are more scarce, but their function is more about making some specs like sniper riflles OP, rather than make a particular one a viable choice.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I like how the creepy stuff are really creepy. This one random encounter in a cave with a skeleton and a note.

the author visited a gypsy, the gypsy said he is being followed. He felt a shadow followin him for months, evem write into his journal and he died in that cave

Atomboy is this reference for something or someone is being cheeky?

There is also the old guy travelling with a pig and he is insane, when you confront him, turns out he seems to be possesed by a demon. Out of curiousity when you try to exorcise the demon, you can command it to enter your body and you got a "possesed" perk that give you this schizophrenic dialogue choice. It reduce my INT and DEX so i just reload. I wonder if i decide to continue with it, would it change the game drastically.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
How long is this game? I'm planning to do the GOTY voting, but want to give people enough time to properly play all entries before starting the vote. Is this a Fallout-ish 15-20 hours game, or one of those 60+ hour games? (excluding replays, of course)

Sinatar

Arbiter
How long is this game? I'm planning to do the GOTY voting, but want to give people enough time to properly play all entries before starting the vote. Is this a Fallout-ish 15-20 hours game, or one of those 60+ hour games? (excluding replays, of course)

I've heard 40 - 50 hours.

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I like how the creepy stuff are really creepy. This one random encounter in a cave with a skeleton and a note.

the author visited a gypsy, the gypsy said he is being followed. He felt a shadow followin him for months, evem write into his journal and he died in that cave

There is also the old guy travelling with a pig and he is insane, when you confront him, turns out he seems to be possesed by a demon. Out of curiousity when you try to exorcise the demon, you can command it to enter your body and you got a "possesed" perk that give you this schizophrenic dialogue choice. It reduce my INT and DEX so i just reload. I wonder if i decide to continue with it, would it change the game drastically.

Could be reference to some old Morrowind copypasta.

Vrab

Learned
I finished finally, took me about 100 hours but this included some afking and slowly reading all the text I could find. Also got the car very late. But it is a long-ish game for sure, if one doesn't rush it on purpose.

Really liked the way events are clarified just before the end and the choice presented. It is a good story, not complicated, not trying to spoonfeed me dumb hipsterish worldview and forced moralization like some games nowadays do.

I have some criticism.

Being able to fairly trivially just skip the final fight through dialogue is awkward. Best way conversation focused character can influence fight in my opinion was in the encounter with the female leader of the Death gang, I managed through conversation to make some of her followers die before the fight, thus making it much easier. But this 100% binary deal of either you fight a room full of elite, armoured, AK wielding, grenade tossing badasses or you just tell the boss "how about you give up of all your plans?" and he says "oh... ok" is quite meh. Maybe it's because you wanted to enable a mostly pacifist playstyle? If so it would be nice if it felt a bit... heftier. The way player can talk the other party into just giving up from their carefully laid long term plans of cosmic significance in a couple of lines is totally off given the situation.

Combat has been criticized already, but there are some weird things that go beyond simplicity. For example, even if I begin the fight by shooting someone first, I still sometimes had the enemy interrupt what was supposed to be my turn (I still had action points left after my shot) and just began moving immediately after my hit. Or when enemy is far away, but combat is still active, my followers would begin moving as if they are in real time mode, following me as I move on my turn. As if they were out of combat, while I wasn't. And yeah, balance between weapon classes. I used pistols and SMGs and it felt very subpar. I finished the game on expert (skipping both fights inside the final bunker through conversation) so it can be done, but it's not a seriously recommendable choice given how powerful machine guns and rifles are in comparison. I don't even want to imagine going melee lol. Grenades are also too rare and expensive to be of practical use outside a handful of the most difficult fights, making throwing more or less redundant.

Abilities/perks: I'm not so much put off by the tree system. Yeah it's somewhat decline but I can live with that although it could have been done better. What kills it for me is getting only 1 point per level on higher difficulties. This makes large majority of the tree totally obsolete. There's just not enough points to dip anywhere except whatever your main focus is plus maybe a couple of secondary picks. It isn't good when a game allows too much and player becomes master of everything by late game as often happens, but this is the other extreme and it's not much better, just in a different way. I doubt you'll go reworking the whole character system and get rid of the tree altogether, but giving out 2 points per level at all difficulties except maybe the lowest would IMO be an improvement. Distinctions also don't look appealing with perhaps an exception or two.

As was mentioned earlier, some skills don't do what one would expect. Besides stealth, which is not stealth as it's normally understood at all, I don't totally get first aid either. I didn't notice I regain more hp by using stimpacks or food. I saw skill checks in dialogues and I suppose it does reduce the chance of addiction as the description says but apart from that (and it's not much let's face it) I don't get what it's for. Seems like a waste. Would be nice if they worked as they had in fallout.

And yeah, there's too much non fluff dialogue crammed in too little space as I've mentioned earlier. I suppose this one is the only issue that can't be fixed any more. It can be dealt with, it's just quite overwhelming to see all those people and realizing many of them have quests and hints hidden in their dialogues. Can be a good lesson for when you make the next game or expansion.

Then there's a whole bunch of little things.

• Quests that rely on random encounters that often simply don't trigger in reasonable amount of time. I was running circles around some towns waiting for them to pop up, it took so long I thought it's just bugged and doesn't happen or that it might be some hidden location I haven't uncovered, but it wasn't, it just took that long to happen.
  • Resistance to toxins is pretty much 100% or bust, which makes anything that isn't gas mask mostly redundant. The craftable mask might as well not exist, old gas mask isn't much better. Radiation is similar, but at least it just means I have to pop 2 pills instead of 1 and doesn't make items useless.
  • Shadows in Dead City. There are too many of them and they attack 4 times a turn, it takes just too long for their turn to finish. Apart from that they were perfectly harmless and ended up just a boring time and ammo sink. It would be much cooler if they were fewer, stronger and slower. There's still room enough to keep them as weak swarmy type of enemies, just not as trivial, boring and unspeakably numerous as they are currently.
  • Friendly fire with shotguns using pellets
  • Most NPCs have too little ammo, mostly not even their weapons fully loaded, so they run out after a few turns and have to resort to fists and frying pans lol. It's nice ammo is scarce, but in some cases this went a bit too far.
  • People's barter inventories getting clogged up with junk. It would be nice if there'd be some throughput. You know, items I sell them disappearing and new items or rubles appearing. I saw that their original inventories get reshuffled, I came to the gun merchant in Krasno a few times hoping to get the Stechkin pistol but every time I had the cash the gun would be gone. So I guess you could make other items go away too? After a while most merchants had inventories full of garbage I sold them lol so I had difficulty figuring out what's new.
  • Typos and grammar errors, like using superlative "worst" instead of comparative "worse", consistently. "It could be worst...", "To make things worst...", "Even worst..." Later on in the game there are whole dialogue lines that look like errors or placeholders. Forgot to screenshot those, will do it if they don't get fixed by the time I get to those spots in 2nd playthrough.

Anyhow, the game is great. As one old election promotion said in my country 20 years ago "My grandpa told me that a fine horse has a hundred faults but a bad only one: it's no good." ATOM is a fine horse, everything that matters is in its place, virtually every issue it has is a matter of polish and tweaking. After you're done with that you should definitely do a sequel or five.

Last edited:

Atomboy

Atom Team
Developer

The first one is a reference to jvk1166z, the second one just gives you an extra option in like 15-25 dialogues. Nothing important, mostly you just scare people into doing what you want like you would with high Str, but some give lore for some hidden storylines players are not supposed to find and in one occasion it lets you kill a guy without alarming the populace, unless we cut that part out.
Got a question -

- i did not kill Grishka but let him go, reported to the Head that the snitch escaped and now i cant get any more quests from the Head of the village. I normally got quests from Dan and from Grishka at the factory. Is that a bug or ...
Missed your post. What happens when you go to the Factory? Doesn't Dan pay you for helping Grishka and send you to his test trial?

He does, but I dont get any other quests in Otradnoye.... unlike when you kill the snitch.

Also, think you missed a chance there for a alternate way with taking Grishka to the abandoned house and THEN letting him go, with a extra high speechcraft check to convince the Head that the deed is done.
That's actually a good idea. I'll pass it along to the men.

I've heard 40 - 50 hours.
It's reeeeeeeeeeeeee-ally hard to say. I'm 28 hours on a new character, and I didn't visit a single plot location yet. Some do it in 40, some go for 120!

I finished finally, took me about 100 hours but this included some afking and slowly reading all the text I could find. Also got the car very late. But it is a long-ish game for sure, if one doesn't rush it on purpose.

Really liked the way events are clarified just before the end and the choice presented. It is a good story, not complicated, not trying to spoonfeed me dumb hipsterish worldview and forced moralization like some games nowadays do.

I have some criticism.

Being able to fairly trivially just skip the final fight through dialogue is awkward. Best way conversation focused character can influence fight in my opinion was in the encounter with the female leader of the Death gang, I managed through conversation to make some of her followers die before the fight, thus making it much easier. But this 100% binary deal of either you fight a room full of elite, armoured, AK wielding, grenade tossing badasses or you just tell the boss "how about you give up of all your plans?" and he says "oh... ok" is quite meh. Maybe it's because you wanted to enable a mostly pacifist playstyle? If so it would be nice if it felt a bit... heftier. The way player can talk the other party into just giving up from their carefully laid long term plans of cosmic significance in a couple of lines is totally off given the situation.

Combat has been criticized already, but there are some weird things that go beyond simplicity. For example, even if I begin the fight by shooting someone first, I still sometimes had the enemy interrupt what was supposed to be my turn (I still had action points left after my shot) and just began moving immediately after my hit. Or when enemy is far away, but combat is still active, my followers would begin moving as if they are in real time mode, following me as I move on my turn. As if they were out of combat, while I wasn't. And yeah, balance between weapon classes. I used pistols and SMGs and it felt very subpar. I finished the game on expert (skipping both fights inside the final bunker through conversation) so it can be done, but it's not a seriously recommendable choice given how powerful machine guns and rifles are in comparison. I don't even want to imagine going melee lol. Grenades are also too rare and expensive to be of practical use outside a handful of the most difficult fights, making throwing more or less redundant.

Abilities/perks: I'm not so much put off by the tree system. Yeah it's somewhat decline but I can live with that although it could have been done better. What kills it for me is getting only 1 point per level on higher difficulties. This makes large majority of the tree totally obsolete. There's just not enough points to dip anywhere except whatever your main focus is plus maybe a couple of secondary picks. It isn't good when a game allows too much and player becomes master of everything by late game as often happens, but this is the other extreme and it's not much better, just in a different way. I doubt you'll go reworking the whole character system and get rid of the tree altogether, but giving out 2 points per level at all difficulties except maybe the lowest would IMO be an improvement. Distinctions also don't look appealing with perhaps an exception or two.

As was mentioned earlier, some skills don't do what one would expect. Besides stealth, which is not stealth as it's normally understood at all, I don't totally get first aid either. I didn't notice I regain more hp by using stimpacks or food. I saw skill checks in dialogues and I suppose it does reduce the chance of addiction as the description says but apart from that (and it's not much let's face it) I don't get what it's for. Seems like a waste. Would be nice if they worked as they had in fallout.

And yeah, there's too much non fluff dialogue crammed in too little space as I've mentioned earlier. I suppose this one is the only issue that can't be fixed any more. It can be dealt with, it's just quite overwhelming to see all those people and realizing many of them have quests and hints hidden in their dialogues. Can be a good lesson for when you make the next game or expansion.

Then there's a whole bunch of little things.

• Quests that rely on random encounters that often simply don't trigger in reasonable amount of time. I was running circles around some towns waiting for them to pop up, it took so long I thought it's just bugged and doesn't happen or that it might be some hidden location I haven't uncovered, but it wasn't, it just took that long to happen.
  • Resistance to toxins is pretty much 100% or bust, which makes anything that isn't gas mask mostly redundant. The craftable mask might as well not exist, old gas mask isn't much better. Radiation is similar, but at least it just means I have to pop 2 pills instead of 1 and doesn't make items useless.
  • Shadows in Dead City. There are too many of them and they attack 4 times a turn, it takes just too long for their turn to finish. Apart from that they were perfectly harmless and ended up just a boring time and ammo sink. It would be much cooler if they were fewer, stronger and slower. There's still room enough to keep them as weak swarmy type of enemies, just not as trivial, boring and unspeakably numerous as they are currently.
  • Friendly fire with shotguns using pellets
  • Most NPCs have too little ammo, mostly not even their weapons fully loaded, so they run out after a few turns and have to resort to fists and frying pans lol. It's nice ammo is scarce, but in some cases this went a bit too far.
  • People's barter inventories getting clogged up with junk. It would be nice if there'd be some throughput. You know, items I sell them disappearing and new items or rubles appearing. I saw that their original inventories get reshuffled, I came to the gun merchant in Krasno a few times hoping to get the Stechkin pistol but every time I had the cash the gun would be gone. So I guess you could make other items go away too? After a while most merchants had inventories full of garbage I sold them lol so I had difficulty figuring out what's new.
  • Typos and grammar errors, like using superlative "worst" instead of comparative "worse", consistently. "It could be worst...", "To make things worst...", "Even worst..." Later on in the game there are whole dialogue lines that look like errors or placeholders. Forgot to screenshot those, will do it if they don't get fixed by the time I get to those spots in 2nd playthrough.

Anyhow, the game is great. As one old election promotion said in my country 20 years ago "My grandpa told me that a fine horse has a hundred faults but a bad only one: it's no good." ATOM is a fine horse, everything that matters is in its place, virtually every issue it has is a matter of polish and tweaking. After you're done with that you should definitely do a sequel or five.
Thank you! Some of the things you describe, like NPCs stealing your initiative and WORST in place of worse, really suck. Inventory junk is an issue as well. We'll try putting the fixes to that into the next version. I'll send your whole review to the planner.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom