Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[Poll] Which is the greatest tb, rtwp, or rts squad tactics game?

Which is the greatest tb, rtwp, or rts squad tactics game?

• Heroes of Might and Magic II

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Icewind Dale 2

• Shadow Tactics

• Ultimate General Civil War

• Shining Force 2

• Invisible Inc

• Battletech (HBS)

• Age of Empires 2

• Age of Mythology

• C&C: Red Alert

• Homeworld 2

• Starcraft 2

• Dungeon Rats

• Desperados

• Mechcommander Gold

• Syndicate

• Knights of the Chalice

• Panzer General

• Shogun: Total War

• Close Combat 2

• Total voters

Jason Liang

Arcane
While i can't see why you put IWD 1 & 2 in there (because you played them ?), you're missing some of the best ones like :
  • Fantasy General (my bad, didn't see it in the list)
  • Heroes of Might & Magic V
  • King's Bounty reboot series
As a HoMM 2 fan, i replayed some HoMM V campaigns "recently" and it's very good.

Fantasy General, well, let's say if you didn't play it, you shouldn't be allowed to create a new thread in this sub-forum.

And the king's bounty reboot add a lot of tactical options to the HoMM recipe with the dragon/talking sword skills.

Well, i voted for UFO but really, FG is as much one of my favorite games of all times as HoMM2 was (HoMM2 didn't aged as well as FG though )

20 votes for Jagged Alliance 2, while only 11 votes for X-COM and 0 votes for Fantasy General - proof that Codex has shit taste:D

Bocian

Arcane
Steel Panthers: MBT/WW2 is the epitome of a squad-based tactical game. It allows to simulate real conflicts with better accuracy than any other game ever developed. Depending on the scenario you can command either a platoon-sized force or an entire regiment. Every unit has experience stats in accordance to the real-life counterpart.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
if your favorite tb, rtwp,or rts tactical battle game is not listed, let me know and I'll add it.

TB strategy - Heroes III
RT strategy - Starcraft Brood War
TB RPG (crawler) - Wizardry 8, Grimoire
TB RPG (isometric) - ToEE, Underrail
RT RPG - Morrowind
RTwP RPG - NwN 1

PS this poll is a mess of everything

luinthoron

Learned
I look at the poll and its predictable results and wonder whether there was really any need to include more than two choices.

SymbolicFrank

Magister
1. Fallout: Tactics
2. Jagged Alliance 2
3. X-COM: UFO Defense
4. Silent Storm

But those mostly share the first place, they're just different. After that, it becomes harder to rank them. I couldn't decide on which one was at fifth place, just that all the candidates weren't as good as these four.

Frozen

Arcane
Voted Commandos but Panzer General 2 is especially great. Its more of an RPG than turn based strategy.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
@Jason Liang Shogun Total War is missing. Not the new crap, the original one from 2000, which kept me up in the nights for a full year.

Close Combat 2 should also be in every list.

And for people with really good memories: Defender of the Crown and Pirates!

Mazisky

Magister
Forgot to mention the first Red alert, that was the best rts of its time. 2 great campaigns, unbelievable cutscenes for the time, great soundtrack, very solid gameplay and lot of character. It is probably the best game of the C&C series.

cretin

Magister
Douchebag!
its JA2 and its not even close. I'm not even a fanboy marking out, i just think the TBS/TBT genre has been pathetically weak ever since JA2 showed how it could and should be done. Even codex favorites like silent storm are kind of weak in comparison.

Mazisky

Magister
its JA2 and its not even close. I'm not even a fanboy marking out, i just think the TBS/TBT genre has been pathetically weak ever since JA2 showed how it could and should be done. Even codex favorites like silent storm are kind of weak in comparison.

Yes. Ja2 was the only one capable of reaching Xcom quality.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom