Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What is the best milieu/environment/setting for a RPG or CRPG?

Hervé Scott Flament:

Linitiation.jpg

Les-voleurs-de-cadavres.jpg

Sacrifices_by_scottflament.jpg

after_the_hunt_beyond_the.jpg

b0d54ada79198ec3a8b44f1cf8a93407.jpg

29342918_1976276432689386_9027082427880701952_n.jpg

La-putain-de-babylone.jpg

0005-flament05.jpeg

ManaJunkie

Arbiter
Zardoz.jpg

Zardoz-1974.jpg

Just kidding :P

The penis is evil. The penis shoots seeds, and makes new life, and poisons the earth with a plague of men, as once it was. But the gun shoots death, and purifies the earth of the filth of brutals. Go forth and kill!

Underrated, awesome movie.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
The penis is evil. The penis shoots seeds, and makes new life, and poisons the earth with a plague of men, as once it was. But the gun shoots death, and purifies the earth of the filth of brutals. Go forth and kill!

It was made in the erotic-psychedelic sci-fi era along with Barbarella, Life Force and the likes.
Worth watching, for sure, for a good laugh but it's not nearly as bad as its reputation say it is.

ManaJunkie

Arbiter

It was made in the erotic-psychedelic sci-fi era along with Barbarella, Life Force and the likes.
Worth watching, for sure, for a good laugh but it's not nearly as bad as its reputation say it is.

Do you mean this space-energy-vampires Lifeforce?
Logan´s Run is worth mentioning.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Do you mean this space-energy-vampires Lifeforce?
Logan´s Run is worth mentioning.

The very same with Mathilda May, i was a teenager the first time i watched it for ... research purposes. :roll:

Logan's Run too and so many more, followed by a lot of "regular" just weird sci-fi movies in the eighties.

Clark Ashton Smith said:
Bond

By the red seal redoubled of that kiss
When thy lips parted softly to my own
Ere the sun sank from doomed Poseidonis;

By nights of searing ecstasy and moan;
The night-wet bosoms in Pompeii bared,
And the pale breasts and limbs in Lesbos known;

By dreams and deities and dolors shared
Before the Olympian glory passed from Greece;
By sharp and secret raptures that we dared

In Druid towers of ocean-founded Ys;
By every cup of wine in Naishapur
We drank by turns even to the purple lees;

By the dark Sabbats, vowed to Lucifer,
Making us one before his muffled throne
In rites of sorceress and sorcerer;

By the sealed ways no prophet has foreshown,
Wheron our lips shall meet, our footsteps go:—
By these, by these I claim thee for mine own...

Even as I have claimed thee long ago.

:love:

Apostle Hand

Liturgist
Batshit Crazy
plauge ridden medieval world filled with witches, superstiton , devil worshiping of all kinds with a supernatural touch

Swigen

Arbiter
The best setting by far is 1800’s southern cotton plantation within the Call of a Cthulhu set up. I make the players a family of rich southern dandies living in a mansion on said plantation. The familial relations lead to interesting social dynamics within the party and the gibbering voodoo rituals performed by the slaves at night lends well to the unique occult atmosphere. Lots of maps of plantation layouts online as well as real life horror to be inspired by from the tumultuous, lawless history of the era.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
plauge ridden medieval world filled with witches, superstiton , devil worshiping of all kinds with a supernatural touch

Isn't that what the setting of the next game of Iron Tower Studio (after colony ship game) is supposed to be?

Edit: from this interview: http://www.cshpicone.com/interview-iron-tower-studio

CSH: Now I know The New World is only early in development, but do you have any thoughts on what the next game might be? Another pseudo-Roman adventure? Another sci-fi?

Vince: An occult RPG set during the Spanish Inquisition. Cavort with Lucifer and his minions or serve God and the Inquisition, that sort of thing.

I think he has written about it elsewhere, but I haven't found it.

Last edited:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
The best setting by far is 1800’s southern cotton plantation within the Call of a Cthulhu set up. I make the players a family of rich southern dandies living in a mansion on said plantation. The familial relations lead to interesting social dynamics within the party and the gibbering voodoo rituals performed by the slaves at night lends well to the unique occult atmosphere.

This made me think of Robert E. Howard's "Pigeons From Hell".

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Low-to-Mid Fantasy. See, e.g., Gothic and Gothic 2.

jungl

Augur
Something different from the norm at this point. What about a conspiracy xcom fantasy creature horror rpg set in 1970s. The story is you worked for rogue group after your decorated service in ww2. Agents are exploring 1950s cold war underground research facility that went dark. The agents open a giant vault door which is a long dirt floor huge dark corridor with army jeeps barely visible parked in the end. The agents are ambushed by a platoon of zombies in army overalls and eaten alive. You play as a zombie with your fellow zombie bros. When you guys manage to leave the facility. You get ambushed by the rogue group and you have to work for them. You get missions like start zombie outbreaks across the globe or selling experimental shady batches of chemicals to south american warlords. Infiltrating other mysterious bunkers with ant people, mermen. Choices and factions you encounter have many choices and consequences and the decisions you make determine the fate of this elusive shadow world and affect the real world. Like if you killed off the mermen people planes do not go vanishing in the Bermuda triangle

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom