Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix NieR: Automata from Yoko Taro and Platinum Games

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Minimum graphic settings?
I am a man of culture. I refuse to look at 2B's ass on minimum settings.
Just get the damn tutorial over with on low settings and then you can blissfully jerk it for the next 60+ hours. Seems all your problems stem from these inane little decisions to deny yourself things. You'd rather starve to death than eat a sandwich with the wrong brand of butter. Stop being dumb.

Cat

also: ⛽
Minimum graphic settings?
I am a man of culture. I refuse to look at 2B's ass on minimum settings.
Just get the damn tutorial over with on low settings and then you can blissfully jerk it for the next 60+ hours. Seems all your problems stem from these inane little decisions to deny yourself things. You'd rather starve to death than eat a sandwich with the wrong brand of butter. Stop being dumb.
How about you stop being a philistine.

tet666

Augur
Platinum's least technical combat, even more so than Korra.

I finished the game multiple times and still don't know how to do 60% of attacks / combos.
There's more to the combat than it seems on the first glance.

It sucks to hear you're having performance issues.
I heard some people fixed it with a mod called FAR.
https://steamcommunity.com/groups/SpecialK_Mods/discussions/3/1334600128973500691/

Yeah this works just lower the global illumination settings in FAR a bit it gives a huge performance boost and doesn't look any different.

lightbane

Arcane
The tutorial is intentionally hard and over-the-top to troll players and confuse game journous. Set the game to easy and skip it, then switch back to your preferred settings.

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
tedious, yes, hard, no, but if you have common sense you'd just play it on this "easy mode" so you can quickly get into the actual game with minimum frustration.
It sucks to hear you're having performance issues.
I heard some people fixed it with a mod called FAR.
https://steamcommunity.com/groups/SpecialK_Mods/discussions/3/1334600128973500691/
Actually I've used that mod. Without it the game won't even run 640x480. Maybe my laptop's specs are just too low. It wasn't really noticable on games like Witcher 3 but N: A's combat demands more of my reflexes so I can't have it lag.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
The tutorial is intentionally hard and over-the-top to troll players and confuse game journous. Set the game to easy and skip it, then switch back to your preferred settings.
Yoko Taro getting some trolling in early so the story can be 'normal' for at least a few hours afterwards :M

newtmonkey

Arcane
Installing that FAR thing and turning global illumination even down one level results in a massive framerate boost without any difference in graphical quality whatsoever. Highly recommended.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
This game is actually good. It's a shame that every time I start playing it some huge thing happens in my life and I get forced to quit. It's like a fuckin curse. At least I'm having a good time with 2B in SCVI.

Edit: New avatar in her honor :salute:

Puukko

Arcane
Finished ending A, though to call it an ending is a bit of a cheat imo since it's really only the first main story line by the looks of it? Anyway, moving straight on the path B.

I find it funny how quickly 2B went from dead serious operator to emotionally attached to 9S during just the first mission. It's been a long time since I last did this bit so I had forgotten that, though overall I would say their relationship development was handled quite well through path A. 2B gets simultaneously more murderous towards the robots and more kind towards 9S.

Do Adam and Eve gain more depth during B/C? Because I found Eve in particular to be rather lacking beyond a simple revenge motive.

Dayyālu

Arcane
I've enjoyed the opinion that 2B is not the protagonist, as she/it lacks a proper arc and a distinct personality. 9S and A2 are far more... interesting on that regard.

About Adam and Eve, you get some extra cutscenes about them but .... well, what they are is more important compared to who they are, without spoilers. Route A is their main place, tho.

hexer

I find it funny how quickly 2B went from dead serious operator to emotionally attached to 9S during just the first mission.

They're both pretty bad at the whole "emotions are prohibited" thing.
As for why is that so, you'll get a straightforward answer. Keep playing!

Do Adam and Eve gain more depth during B/C? Because I found Eve in particular to be rather lacking beyond a simple revenge motive.

Yeah, you'll get more understanding about both of them.
I can't comment anything beyond that, don't want to post spoilers!

I've enjoyed the opinion that 2B is not the protagonist, as she/it lacks a proper arc and a distinct personality. 9S and A2 are far more... interesting on that regard.

I disagree, 2B is one of the protagonists and is well developed.
Did you find out what number 2 means in her name?

And don't forget who's the game's director.
Trying to fit his story into some well-known template is not the point of it.
If you knew which character from the original NieR gave machines purpose and emotions, and how it came to that, you wouldn't believe it.

Last edited by a moderator:

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
So...I ran into some technical problems early on. After that cool sequence when you're flying through those narrow passages and fight all those gun bots, I got a white screen of death.
Then the game refused to open again, even after validating game files. What's the fix for all of this? Reinstall and hope for the best? GPU is a R7 260x, which should be able to handle it and I was getting good performance prior to the white screen.

I have to say though, that opening sequence is pretty solid and was not what I was expecting. Definitely makes me want to continue playing, but I first have to fix it.

Also, how badly do I need a controller? Because my controller sucks.

Last edited:

hexer

Playing with a controller is recommended.
I had a harder time in some fights while using a keyboard.

So...I ran into some technical problems early on. After that cool sequence when you're flying through those narrow passages and fight all those gun bots, I got a white screen of death.
Then the game refused to open again, even after validating game files. What's the fix for all of this? Reinstall and hope for the best? GPU is a R7 260x, which should be able to handle it and I was getting good performance prior to the white screen.

I have to say though, that opening sequence is pretty solid and was not what I was expecting. Definitely makes me want to continue playing, but I first have to fix it.

Hmmm.. are you using FAR mod? It made my game unstable.
But, I've also heard it actually fixed issues for some people so you could try tinkering with it.

Also, they issued a special announcement regarding Radeon GPUs here

https://steamcommunity.com/app/524220/discussions/0/1291817837635483338/

AMD Radeon Graphics Card Update
In most cases, the latest Radeon-Software-Crimson-ReLive-Edition-17.5.2 update should resolve an issue that some of you have been experiencing in NieR:Automata where the screen can go blank or white, along with some other issues such as random hangs or game crashes after short periods of gameplay. We encourage all AMD Radeon graphics card owners to update their drivers to the latest version (17.5.2 or later) to improve the NieR:Automata playing experience.

If you are a Windows 7 user, we are aware of an issue where NieR:Automata will not boot up if used in combination with a specific display type. If this happens, turning on “GPU scaling” in the Radeon Settings App may fix the issue.

For more information and to download the latest update - Radeon-Software-Crimson-ReLive-Edition-17.5.2, please go to the AMD official website[support.amd.com] and view the new release notes for the driver.

Thanks for your continued support. Glory to mankind.

Last edited by a moderator:

hexer

Huh, that's weird. I'm using driver 18.50 and I still got that issue. I'll try updating to 19.1.1, and see if that works.

As a last resort you could downgrade to 17.5.2.

For example, I'm having terrible FPS drops in all games with latest Nvidia drivers so I'm staying away from any unnecessary driver updates.
Interestingly, every time Nvidia releases a new generation of graphics cards, they also start releasing driver updates that make previous generation's performance crappy. :roll:

hexer

I figured it stands for
a reference to Hamlet, quite obviously. Maybe even the answer to the question "to be or not to be? - "to be". Is there another explanation? Because I don't remember finding one.
One theory I came across said that 9S is the continuation of "to be" since it sounds like saying Nein Es in German which would literally translate like No, it, but could be stretched to mean Not to be.

Yoko Taro answered this question in a fan AMA.
Numbers in their name stand for the type of personality they have which means A2 and 2B shared the same base personality type.
They weren't the same person, but upon activation had the same "character flavor"

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
I figured it stands for
a reference to Hamlet, quite obviously. Maybe even the answer to the question "to be or not to be? - "to be". Is there another explanation? Because I don't remember finding one.
One theory I came across said that 9S is the continuation of "to be" since it sounds like saying Nein Es in German which would literally translate like No, it, but could be stretched to mean Not to be.
2B,
or not 2B- that 9S the question
:M

hexer

Damn you Square Enix for throwing new Nier content at the end of your MMO
:negative:

6jHVpzF.jpg

Presenting the next FFXIV alliance raid series: YoRHa: Dark Apocalypse–from the minds of renowned NieR creators Yosuke Saito and YOKO TARO

https://twitter.com/FF_XIV_EN/status/1091636106280529925

And the hilarious video message from Yoko Taro and Yosuke Saito

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/373857551?t=01h04m07s

hexer

There are many 4 letter words... fuck, love, kiss, date, wash... :lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom