Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter ATOM RPG - Wasteland Soviet style! - now with Dead City update

Will you back?

• I will consider it!

Votes: 39 54.9%
  • No! I would never!..

Votes: 9 12.7%
  • kingcomrade

Votes: 23 32.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
Question about the clash of the cultists:

The mushroom guy told me to find Devi Christus in Otradnoye, but I can’t seem to locate her anywhere in town. Do I need to wait? Wander around nearby for a random encounter?

in the outskirts around the actual town

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
NikG1z9.png

Imagine being so mad that you throw a full fucking urinal at someone. That's some hardcore goddamn PTSD coupled with retard-strength, right there.

Edit: Hahaha, about the journalist that wants 500 Wasteland Papers:
It is possible to lockpick the container in the room, and every time you sell the journalist some paper, you can just pick it up and give it to him again. I just got 6000 rubles, a full backpack, and 640xp.

:takemymoney:

Last edited:

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
My only major issue with the writing so far is that NPC interaction seems very formulaic, with conversations being not much more than interrogations following a simple pattern (Your background / Your occupation / This place / Tell me rumours). The ones that are not (like that former sergeant in the factory) are also the most memorable. But then again, most RPGs make the mistake of having interrogations as opposed to conversations (like being able to tell the sergeant he is a traitor to the Motherland for hanging out with thugs).

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
I killed some tough muties today and discovered if you throw the grenade at maximum range (with the perk) sometimes the monster does not start combat. :lol: All that stockpiled handmade grenades did not go to waste.

Oh yeah, bonus and penalties do stack.
So feel free to debuff / buff in peace zones. I ate like 2 sweet rolls by accident and got +2 DEX
So if you want to fish that golden koi fish for the +1 perma - feel free to buy all the alcohol you want and get crazy drunk before using the baits. :lol: you can stack up to 2x per item type. I think there's 4 types of alcohol in game... vodka, porter (DAMN THIS ONE REDUCES LUCK!), moonshine, beer and gorilka. Get 2 each then get the Luck bonus from Roaring Forest Idol. That's your 10 LUK there from 1!

I tried eating mushroom and the whole world turns gibberish.

NvpHxsY.jpg

I wonder if this can be of use somewhere else...

HDe1t4Z.jpg

Last edited:

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Since everyone else is either too polite, scared of answer or marxist, let me pose the dreaded question to Atomboy:

How's the game sellin? Is it sellin like vodka during January in Moscow or more like pork sticks on Ramadan at Instabull's bazaar? Are you and owners (I got impression those 2 things are 1) satisfied with sale figures so far and can they finance the future of your incline factory and installation of vodka fountain at your HQ?

Happy New Year, hope it's gonna be like ATOM turned out! Medium expectations, NUCLEAR incline delivery :salute:

Unwanted

Товарищ

Unwanted
Grenades and TNT also work through walls. The combat probably doesnt start because of enemy Perception. You can throw grenades around a corner and if the enemy didnt see you, they wont initiate combat. Can be used to kill the glowing spider at Red Fighter. Facing also might matter, since it def matters for stealth.

The molotov recipe need non-white bandanas. White bandanas are some kind of a different item.

Unwanted

Товарищ

Unwanted
Spoilers

Damn, with high Luck you can kill 6 people in the coal run to Krasno. A satellite drops on them, instagibing all... Free AKMS, AVS36, metal armors, etc
And the slavers blow a grenade in their pocket and often drop down, you just add a grenade on top and win :lol:

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
On the topic of sales/popularity, I must say that it's not been as much buzz as on PF:K, but it also came at an awkward time when everyone was taking their holidays. But on the flipside, I've noticed people that I never would've expected to pick up on the game talking about it and asking questions, so at the very least, it's generating interest, which is really cool for this kind of project.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
So is there any other source of toxin resistance other than gas mask?
I treat a scav leader to some cigarettes for the gas mask.

ijeB6q5.jpg

but his gas mask is too old.

bwYf50o.jpg

:negative:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
NikG1z9.png

Imagine being so mad that you throw a full fucking urinal at someone. That's some hardcore goddamn PTSD coupled with retard-strength, right there.

It is possible to lockpick the container in the room, and every time you sell the journalist some paper, you can just pick it up and give it to him again. I just got 6000 rubles, a full backpack, and 640xp.

I managed to gather it the old fashioned way,pickpocketing it from strangers and looting it from ruins and corpses! Thank god for the teleportation command,that shit weights a lot.

About 40 hours in, I'm loving the game, but I have to say that the companions' pathfinding is not very good and in enclosed areas (such as the Pass of Woes' bunker) it's fucking horrendous, with the dog or one of the guys aggroing enemies because they can't follow you through the same door. I wish there were group and individual movement modes in this game, that was a workaround that worked wonders in the Baldur's Gate games.

NvpHxsY.jpg

It does, if you asked the jewish bookseller for a book instead of a reward.

He gives you a copy of "Unaussprechlichen Kulten", and the mushrooms are used in the ritual described in it.

Atomboy

Atom Team
Developer
Question about the clash of the cultists:

The mushroom guy told me to find Devi Christus in Otradnoye, but I can’t seem to locate her anywhere in town. Do I need to wait? Wander around nearby for a random encounter?
She is near the stone pillar outside Otradnoye walls!1!

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Comrades: is there a good reason to boost tinkering past the 50s-60s? With ciggies I can craft the sniper rifle, the quality samopal and the improved percussion revolver. Is there useful stuff beyond that? Also, cigs and joints seem like good ways to make money.

Atomboy I stayed up all night playing again. This is a masterpiece.

Luckmann I can confirm that urinal tossing is possible. As a kid I got in trouble for some minor vandalism. When my mom finished yelling at me, my (boring, super calm) dad took me aside and said, “don’t worry about it. In college I once got so angry that I ripped a urinal out of the wall and then tossed it into the shower stall that my asshole classmate was using. I’m sure I had a good reason at the time.”

filpan

Scholar
I completed it. What a game. Hopefully we will have a sequel, I love this game and feel sad for finishing it.

Great job guys for making this jewel.

Atomboy

Atom Team
Developer

That Mogein Dovid you've got there is truly deserved, sir! I don't think anyone ever found that exploit...
The screenshot made me cringe though ;\ That's from a very dark period in Atom's translation project... If only I was there to turn the Urinal into a bedpan. The worst thing is that urinal is technically also correct, because https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urinal_(health_care) but everyone knows that the reader will think about another kind of urinal...

About 40 hours in, I'm loving the game, but I have to say that the companions' pathfinding is not very good and in enclosed areas (such as the Pass of Woes' bunker) it's fucking horrendous, with the dog or one of the guys aggroing enemies because they can't follow you through the same door. I wish there were group and individual movement modes in this game, that was a workaround that worked wonders in the Baldur's Gate games.

NvpHxsY.jpg

It does, if you asked the jewish bookseller for a book instead of a reward.

He gives you a copy of "Unaussprechlichen Kulten", and the mushrooms are used in the ritual described in it.
Hey, man! We're making pathing better in the Woes bunker right now, but whenever you get stuck, just save, send the save to support@atomrpg.com along with something like "Hey I found this pathing issue" and we'll fix them even faster! These things are a plague!

Since everyone else is either too polite, scared of answer or marxist, let me pose the dreaded question to Atomboy:

How's the game sellin? Is it sellin like vodka during January in Moscow or more like pork sticks on Ramadan at Instabull's bazaar? Are you and owners (I got impression those 2 things are 1) satisfied with sale figures so far and can they finance the future of your incline factory and installation of vodka fountain at your HQ?

Happy New Year, hope it's gonna be like ATOM turned out! Medium expectations, NUCLEAR incline delivery :salute:
Never understood why this question is so touchy, but everyone in the world thinks it is, so I'll go with the tradition, and will speak in riddles, rather than numbers. It's enough so that if every single one of us takes enough to pay bills, buy food and all necessary everyday items like pants and videogames each month, we'll proooobably last enough to finish our work on Atom AND have some time to kickstart the next project before we go completely broke. This is a surprisingly good thing, actually, because I predicted muuuch less. That's why we love our players so much! The money they give us doesn't go to a fund somewhere, or buys us stuff we don't really need like cars and shiet. Each sale literally helps one of us live one day longer without looking for a job. Its in no way a life of luxury - for example my former salesman salary was like 3 times bigger - it's just barely a modest life! But even though I had to lose a few expensive habits I'm pretty happy with the situation. We all are. We were even happy doing it way back when I predicted we'd go bust in April :D But thanks to all the lovely people, we won't!

My only major issue with the writing so far is that NPC interaction seems very formulaic, with conversations being not much more than interrogations following a simple pattern (Your background / Your occupation / This place / Tell me rumours). The ones that are not (like that former sergeant in the factory) are also the most memorable. But then again, most RPGs make the mistake of having interrogations as opposed to conversations (like being able to tell the sergeant he is a traitor to the Motherland for hanging out with thugs).
Well, that we did as a choice for the sake of logic and blank slates. Way back when Atom was a sci-fi RPG in Space and you played not as a nameless character you build through a menu, but as Alexander who is now a mere follower, every dialogue started with all sorts of unique lines. Because Alexander had a personality and an attitude. But the blank character of Atom has YOUR personality and attitude, you're roleplaying as him. That's why all the initial questions are neutral. Imagine going up to an NPC and suddenly in place of "Tell me some rumors" you see "Do you wanna know how I got these scars?"... I'd be like HEY!!! Why is he asking this question only to this one NPC and not the rest of them? Why is my player character talking like the Joker? Is it a DC game? Is this reality? I'm larping a character who doesn't have scars! I'm larping a quiet guy who doesn't like to talk about his past! Why are you breaking my character, game?!
That's why we go with a formula "4 basic questions + one special question derived from the looks or actions of the NPC" or just "4 basic questions". It makes you start off neutral, and in most situations you can then pick a reaction that suits the character you're picturing in your head. I think it was a valid choice when playing a blank slate.

Atomboy

Atom Team
Developer
I completed it. What a game. Hopefully we will have a sequel, I love this game and feel sad for finishing it.

Great job guys for making this jewel.
Aww! Thanks, man! Don't worry, well make lots of content for it yet, even without a sequel. So, like, save a savefile somewhere!

Please never fix the ciggy exploit, it's hilarious.
We won't! What we will do is raise certain NPC health tho..........
Or not! I don't think it really breaks the game too much, anyway.

Comrades: is there a good reason to boost tinkering past the 50s-60s? With ciggies I can craft the sniper rifle, the quality samopal and the improved percussion revolver. Is there useful stuff beyond that? Also, cigs and joints seem like good ways to make money.

Atomboy I stayed up all night playing again. This is a masterpiece.

Luckmann I can confirm that urinal tossing is possible. As a kid I got in trouble for some minor vandalism. When my mom finished yelling at me, my (boring, super calm) dad took me aside and said, “don’t worry about it. In college I once got so angry that I ripped a urinal out of the wall and then tossed it into the shower stall that my asshole classmate was using. I’m sure I had a good reason at the time.”
Thanks man! :)

Okagron

Prophet
Around 20 hours and i'm enjoying the game quite a lot. Sure, there are some annoyances, some minor and some that bother me quite a bit, but so far seems to be a really solid game overall. And it seems to be getting updates rather frequently and that's great.

Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Atomboy I think an ATOM game (i.e. sequel) set in a different country could be very interesting, showing how other countries prepared for The Great War.

California, USA would be a good option. Just think about possibilities: you can depict how such cities, for instance, as Los Angeles, Klamath, Reno, Redding, or San-Francisco survived the nuclear holocaust.

It will be trully novel. I do not think that this setting was ever explored in any other game.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
I found another bug:

If you use Strange Serum on a CNPC (such as Fidel, in my case), it'll work, they'll thank you, but they won't get an extra Stat Point - but you will.

Easily worked around by save editing or similar, but nevertheless annoying.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
wish there was a way to set a marked target for your companions or something... getting attacked by a giant rat which does 3 hits of 3-6hp damage and my dudes would rather just shoot normal ass rats that do 0-1hp damage :argh:

bataille

Arcane
wish there was a way to set a marked target for your companions or something... getting attacked by a giant rat which does 3 hits of 3-6hp damage and my dudes would rather just shoot normal ass rats that do 0-1hp damage :argh:

Do you mean like hovering over the companions, holding the left mouse button, and selecting the command that allows you to choose the target for them to attack?
;)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom