Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Elder Scrolls Online - gone B2P

Gerrard

Arcane
ESO would be a decent action RPG if the combat was actually good. The way it is you're a rollerskating fly swatter and most of your abilities are some kind of buff/debuff/DoT, all with duration of <20 seconds, so you have to be recasting them constantly, and one or two actual damage abilities that you just spam until it's time to refresh the above.

Codex Year of the Donut
Festival of life is live, 100% xp bonus

ESO would be a decent action RPG if the combat was actually good. The way it is you're a rollerskating fly swatter and most of your abilities are some kind of buff/debuff/DoT, all with duration of <20 seconds, so you have to be recasting them constantly, and one or two actual damage abilities that you just spam until it's time to refresh the above.

I agree, one of the worst things in modern MMOs is the focus on short-term buffs. It's not fun managing them at all.

Data4

Arcane
Man

This game is good in so many ways. The combat is fun, better than any MMO and better than any elder scrolls game. The graphics are great, the story is good, the world is varied and interesting, character building is fun, unlocking skill trees is awesome, dungeons are well made.

But one thing ruins the entire game making it unplayable

Every fucking time I need to face a boss for the end of a questline, a group of level 800 dickheads jump in and and trivialize the fight, killing it in moments. Every fucking time I enter a delve (public dungeon), there's a group of lvl 1123 assholes rampaging through and killing everything.

These things should be solo. All of the main questlines in the game are totally trivialized by allowing people to jump into my fights. Questline battles are ALL designed for one person to solo, they're not meant to be taken on by 5 people with meta min/max builds.

Why the fuck would they let the climax of all of their questlines be totally trivialized by this garbage? Literally if they would fix this one thing the game would be 10/10 but nooo guys it's an MMO and that means 50000 people need to gang rape enemies that are meant to be taken on by 1 person.

This is what made me eventually quit. I was actually enjoying the game for awhile. I often find myself experiencing gaming ennui, where nothing really entertains me, but I could still spend an hour or two romping around Tamriel doing shit. Whenever I'd hit a dungeon, nothing irritated me more than there being 5 or 6 other people zoning in with me. I would always just find a spot near the entrance and wait for them to get a head start on me so I could at least get the respawns of the mobs they lawnmowered through. Maybe I'm an antisocial dick, but nothing pissed me off more than to be managing a fight and feeling pretty good about it and have some asshole pop in from out of nowhere and one-shot the damn thing as if he's helping me out.

I get it, it's an MMO. There are other players. Whatever. I really think a solo option for all dungeons and delves would actually increase their subscription base, because after having the guild experience several times over and it always turning to shit, I'm happy to just consume the content by myself, and I'm sure there are many, many others who feel the same way.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I get it, it's an MMO. There are other players. Whatever. I really think a solo option for all dungeons and delves would actually increase their subscription base, because after having the guild experience several times over and it always turning to shit, I'm happy to just consume the content by myself, and I'm sure there are many, many others who feel the same way.
God, yes. Although I'd go even further and have a Guild Wars option to just play alone everywhere, and hire helpers for raids. I hate exploring and some chucklefuck comes in with his horrible demon horse blocking my view.

Is there some protip to making money as a damn dirty lowbie who knows nothing in ESO? Kinda thinking about picking up Summerset, but it'd be nice if I could avoid the inventory-rage that plagues me.

The game is really only marginally playable without subscribing for the inventory management alone. Try it for free, but if you intend to play long term just bite the bullet and pay out to make the experience enjoyable.

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist
Man

This game is good in so many ways. The combat is fun, better than any MMO and better than any elder scrolls game. The graphics are great, the story is good, the world is varied and interesting, character building is fun, unlocking skill trees is awesome, dungeons are well made.

But one thing ruins the entire game making it unplayable

Every fucking time I need to face a boss for the end of a questline, a group of level 800 dickheads jump in and and trivialize the fight, killing it in moments. Every fucking time I enter a delve (public dungeon), there's a group of lvl 1123 assholes rampaging through and killing everything.

These things should be solo. All of the main questlines in the game are totally trivialized by allowing people to jump into my fights. Questline battles are ALL designed for one person to solo, they're not meant to be taken on by 5 people with meta min/max builds.

Why the fuck would they let the climax of all of their questlines be totally trivialized by this garbage? Literally if they would fix this one thing the game would be 10/10 but nooo guys it's an MMO and that means 50000 people need to gang rape enemies that are meant to be taken on by 1 person.
I've heard the pvp is good, though ive yet to try it. Apparently the entire province of cyrodil is the pvp zone.

Son of a bitch, that's what I was worried about. Thanks for the heads up bro. Already got the base game and Morrowind, just was waffling on $8 Summerset but the damn inventory was giving me pause.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
I really cannot imagine playing without the crafting reagent bag that subscription has. The double bank space isn't too bad either.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Is there some protip to making money as a damn dirty lowbie who knows nothing in ESO? Kinda thinking about picking up Summerset, but it'd be nice if I could avoid the inventory-rage that plagues me.

Stealing/lockpicking shit and selling it to a fence is easy money maker early on. From 40 to 250 coins per item depending on the quality and you just have to manage your notoriety.

No kidding Hoax, it's a big pain. I basically flat out can't craft because of it (Which isn't a huge loss admittedly since I usually dislike crafting) but it also means I kinda don't want to collect all the resource nodes lying around everywhere for cash too. Noted on the stealing/lockpicking, Rahdulan. I'll have to give that a look.

ADL

Prophet
I really cannot imagine playing without the crafting reagent bag that subscription has. The double bank space isn't too bad either.
I ended up getting the storage chests for housing because it's better to pay once than pay a monthly fee and it's alright now.

If you can manage to get the writ vouchers or the telvar, buy them in game but I figured the $35 in crowns (based on the -50% deal from last year's holiday sale) wasn't worth the time it'd take to get them.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
To be fair you can and should expand your inventory. Personal and bank storage both. Not to mention "training" mount bags to the max will net you 60 additional inventory slots, I think? But yeah, actually not having access to a crafting bag means you'll still need to do a lot of juggling around.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
I ended up getting the storage chests for housing because it's better to pay once than pay a monthly fee and it's alright now.

If you can manage to get the writ vouchers or the telvar, buy them in game but I figured the $35 in crowns (based on the -50% deal from last year's holiday sale) wasn't worth the time it'd take to get them.

ya I think this is the better value. In 2017 I bought 21000 crowns for $75 on sale and I've used crowns to buy all dlc, personal merchants, etc.. and I still have a ton of crowns left

idk if they do that kind of deal anymore though but it pays off considering I actually own the content now and don't need to be tied to a subscription

THAT SAID eso has too many problems and I don't recommend playing the game at all so any money or time spent in the game is wasted

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist

ya I think this is the better value. In 2017 I bought 21000 crowns for $75 on sale and I've used crowns to buy all dlc, personal merchants, etc.. and I still have a ton of crowns left

idk if they do that kind of deal anymore though but it pays off considering I actually own the content now and don't need to be tied to a subscription

THAT SAID eso has too many problems and I don't recommend playing the game at all so any money or time spent in the game is wasted
What kind of problems? I own it and have been meaning to play it further.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
What kind of problems? I own it and have been meaning to play it further.

Basically what I complained about a few posts back; the game's for the most part balanced around solo play but since it's online other people constantly join in and trivialize content. So when you're at the end of a quest and you're fighting a big boss, 3 level 9999 players join in the fight and kill it in seconds. When you do delves or public dungeons, groups of players are running all over the place decimating everything.

Ruins immersion and makes everything way too easy. I like pretty much everything else about the game but when combat is 90% of it and over-leveled players kill everything for you, it ruins the game.

Generic-Giant-Spider

There's one thing I quite like about ESO, it's something I hope many other future MMORPGs learn from.

It isn't designed like a ladder to constantly climb to nowhere. Gear is important, but it's not the be-all, end-all like so many other MMORPGs make it out to be where if you miss a raid tier or two you're playing catch up. In fact, the focus of ESO seems to be a lot more on giving out new zones as patch content that fills out lore and in some cases offers more roleplaying opportunities. It's actually much more interesting than having a new raid which gives out new epic items with 30% higher stats than the last one.

ADL

Prophet

Most recent sale was 40% for the 21,000 pack. Disappointing but I knew it was coming since they made crown store items giftable and created a whole player economy around that.

Game has quite a few problems but I still recommend playing it because it's one of two games with horizontal progression where 90% of the game isn't invalidated at "end game" thanks to level scaling everyone here hates. That being said, I think Guild Wars 2 is the much better game but why play both on rotation?

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
There's one thing I quite like about ESO, it's something I hope many other future MMORPGs learn from.

It isn't designed like a ladder to constantly climb to nowhere. Gear is important, but it's not the be-all, end-all like so many other MMORPGs make it out to be where if you miss a raid tier or two you're playing catch up. In fact, the focus of ESO seems to be a lot more on giving out new zones as patch content that fills out lore and in some cases offers more roleplaying opportunities. It's actually much more interesting than having a new raid which gives out new epic items with 30% higher stats than the last one.

Yes, everything is level scaled so it's pointless to get new items, craft or do anything. The true pinnacle decline in a genre that is decline itself. People that actually like that should stop playing games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom