Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire + DLC Thread - now with turn-based combat!

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
I would even say that in P1 animancy was presented as fairly unambiguously awful. There was the business with Raedric, the friendly fellow in the sanitarium and the horrid experiments he was doing, finding out where wichts came from, and so on and so forth. The only remotely sympathetic animancers we met were either en-statued or dead and hanging from a tree. Aloth made a lot of sense.

It's only in Deadfire that we saw some of the other side of it, notably with Pallegina's companion quest.

I.e. I honestly don't see that the games were trying to "sell" animancy as unambiguous progress.

How do you consider Pallegina's companion quest positive side of animancy? I mean the guy seemed like well-intending enough but even he was agreeing that animancy should be controlled, I also said that it should be regulated at they very least. It's soul eugenics with a side order of psychology at its best.

I said it's trying to sell it that way because all arguments for it are about progress while all arguments against it are about safety. Not about what the people in the game world are saying necessarily. It's presented as a great leap with great costs, there is no "well this looks p. useless even when it's just being used to do good and is mostly being used to do soul reading to discriminate people or horrible experiments" or anything of that sort.

Parabalus

Arcane
PoE1 presentation of animancy was pretty flattering IMHO. All depictions are Galileo-like.
You have this guy Caedman Azo who was making frankenstein-style monsters in the Sanitarium, and that's a part of the main quest

He was set up by Thaos though.

All the people in the Sanitarium are also strictly volunteers, it's not like he's kidnapping people off the streets.

Sabotin

Scholar
Says a lot that noone remembers classes relation to souls. The only connection with magic and souls depicted is that the mad scientists are also wizards?

I think they expected too much intrinsic value from their premises instead of building them up. Souls are real? Gods are fake/made? Special material the world is built around? These are like staple things in other fantasies, no? They could have made more of a justification for animancy. Maybe there could be something that's used everwhere that came as a side effect of the research and now everyone's jumping on the bandwagon? Kinda like IRL science.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
"Sail to Fort Deadlight. And sieze the answers which Aeldys has secreted for her own gain." The voice actor read "secreted" with an accent on the second "e" :lol: I nearly secreted a little pee in my pants. What kind of idiot writes these lines. FFS Obsidian, what has become of you.

pomenitul

Arbiter
"Sail to Fort Deadlight. And sieze the answers which Aeldys has secreted for her own gain." The voice actor read "secreted" with an accent on the second "e" :lol: I nearly secreted a little pee in my pants. What kind of idiot writes these lines. FFS Obsidian, what has become of you.

That's actually the correct pronunciation.

https://www.waywordradio.org/pronunciation-of-secreting/

And the OED confirms it.

EDIT: Someone's a little butthurt. :lol:

Last edited:

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath

This is the criticism equivalent of a critical failure. It's not simply that you don't know how to pronounce secreting -- you somehow also manage to find fault with the writers because of the way their lines are spoken.

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I am laughing at the clumsy style and choice of words, not at the pronunciation. Good God, it's lucky you are not game writers yourselves.

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
Yeah, Obsidian appears to employ thesaurus swallowers in place of actual writers. Here's something from the first minute or so:

His face is creased by so many wrinkles that his features lie buried amid shadowy pockets of skin. Still, the dwarf’s well-practiced habits have left telltale tracks of a welcoming rictus across his visage.

2house2fly

Magister
It's bizarre, as if they'd written it before they decided to have portraits for everyone and full voice acting, and then never changed it

Prime Junta

How do you consider Pallegina's companion quest positive side of animancy? I mean the guy seemed like well-intending enough but even he was agreeing that animancy should be controlled, I also said that it should be regulated at they very least. It's soul eugenics with a side order of psychology at its best.

Pallegina made it clear just how grateful she is to Giacolo. He helped her when nobody else could.

The fact that it's a trans body dysphoria metaphor is just icing on the cake.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire

Pallegina made it clear just how grateful she is to Giacolo. He helped her when nobody else could.

It had nothing to do with animancy though, his help to her was therapeutic and understanding. Could be done easily without animancy. Pallegina is also irrational as fuck.

AwesomeButton

Patron
Yeah, Obsidian appears to employ thesaurus swallowers in place of actual writers. Here's something from the first minute or so:

His face is creased by so many wrinkles that his features lie buried amid shadowy pockets of skin. Still, the dwarf’s well-practiced habits have left telltale tracks of a welcoming rictus across his visage.
Yeah, I meant it in the context of the writing as a whole. This wasn't the worst, but combined with the "secreted" part, it just made me lol.

AwesomeButton

Patron

Trans ops should also be controlled, so Giacolo is a wise man.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Animancy as a science has the potential to create gods, we know this. The gods which were created by this method, however, are ineffectual, indecisive and incompetent. Apart from that, it can create a pseudo-lich state, like with Ydwin, and I guess be used to teleport around. I don't remember if there was magic involved in that teleportation, though, so it might not be solely animancy. It seems soul transfusion has limited use in the actual lives of people. Should it be controlled, however? That question is a political one, whether to stifle scientific freedom because of real or imagined dangers, or not.

AwesomeButton

Patron
The gods which were created by this method, however, are ineffectual, indecisive and incompetent.
Are you absolutely sure that this is indeed so, and it's not just the unintended impression that the writing has left you with?

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm going by what the writing is showing me, everything else is pure speculation and not really grounds for arguments.

Prime Junta

It had nothing to do with animancy though, his help to her was therapeutic and understanding. Could be done easily without animancy. Pallegina is also irrational as fuck.

What? No... well, at least that's not at all what Pallegina said. According to her, Giacolo was able to suppress the "chime" in her, which stopped her transformation midway, leaving her much more human-like than she would otherwise have become.

Could be she's an unreliable narrator, but I'm assuming she's not.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom