Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Grimoire V2

Gunnar

Arbiter
Casters seem to just need skill points, which means DEV or lots of class changes. The only other unknown variable I can see is WIL, which says something about improving casting and summoning. Not saying it wont be nice to have the manual for things like this but is that really not enough info to make a caster with? Put points into WIL and/or DEV. Probably better to make DEV builds that use healing and support magic and WIL builds for striking and summoning magic.

And if Int actually matters for casting and you ignore it?

The description of the INT attribute doesn't say it has anything to do with casting. So you could say that about any attribute. Some anecdotal evidence, I have a pure sage and pumped INT and he doesn't seem to be any more powerful than the casters who ignored INT.

Grimlorn

Arcane
Surely I am not the only person who never read manuals. The people who are whining about the manual are desperately searching for something to criticize.
Yeah I never use to read them much. I'd just play the game and try to figure stuff out, but would miss out sometimes on important stuff in the manual.

Still I expect there to be some sort of short Cleveonian story that's about 20 pages long telling the story of the world of Grimoire in the manual. Should be good.

Lord Andre

Arcane
I already played Grimoire when it was released and did the whole trial and error thing and finding out shit for myself etc. It was the most fun I had with a game in a long time. But for v2 I want to do the whole "plan my party to the last detail" thing and for that I needz a manual. Preferably one that actually explains shit and not just a low effort copy paste of the vague in-game descriptions. I don't think I'm being unreasonable here.

And Cleveland Mark Blakemore , I think you're awesome for getting this huge game out but don't think I haven't noticed you being a complete prick about this shit. You've seen the discussions on these forums, it would've taken you all 50 seconds to quickly write "this attribute does this, this attribute does that, drow favorite class is wizard even though their mana regen is abysmal because of this hidden mechanic..." and that would've been that. But nope, when it came to a couple of key things that I can count on the fingers of one hand you've been tighter lipped than an un-tipped stripper. :argh:

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
You've seen the discussions on these forums, it would've taken you all 50 seconds to quickly write "this attribute does this, this attribute does that, drow favorite class is wizard even though their mana regen is abysmal because of this hidden mechanic..." and that would've been that. But nope, when it came to a couple of key things that I can count on the fingers of one hand you've been tighter lipped than an un-tipped stripper. :argh:

I am going to take your tone as a bit tongue-in-cheek, because there is an unblemished type of fun in immersing yourself into a world/game blind. :)

Don't get me wrong, I will read the manual for (basic) information that might slip past me, but I am still going to roll into it without much of my hand being held.

I find it refreshing how tight lipped Cleve is. :M

Jazz_

Arcane
I've never tried playing a game like this. Is it an acquired taste or worth playing for someone new to blobbers? Or is there something I should play to 'test the waters'?

As a virgin of old school blobbers (well, I did try Wizardry VII-VIII but stopped playing both after the initial dungeons for whatever reason) Grimoire gripped me like a straightjacket, played like 6 hours in 2 days, that's rare for me. A manual would be nice but I also find that half the fun is experimenting and stumbling around until you find what works and what doesn't.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
The mechanics really are not that deep either. And many of them are not very sensible, if you think about it too hard.

I mean, you want to swing first, you want to swing for the big rolls, you want to penetrate (and hit) your enemies and you want your magicky-kinds to make sure that the enemies don't get to hit back.

And then later on you want to use that magic gismo first so that the enemies don't murderize half of your team, and then have your magicky-types murderize enemy team.

You don't have perfect knowledge of how much each stat increase affects which area or if they are capped etc. But frankly I don't think that is needed. After a certain point, the only things that matter are speed and HP count.

I would love to see a stream playing the game the way that it... can be. Like hardest difficulty, onslaught encounters and absolutely gimped party. I guess you could still complete the game, but it'd probably take 1-2k hours of pure agony.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
The people who are whining about the manual are desperately searching for something to criticize.

This.

When the manual comes out very shortly these people will have nothing left to live for and will promptly kill themselves.

You can stand outside the Louvre and picket the Mona Lisa all you want. At the end of the day, you're a crank outside the Louvre.

As long as the manual is still not out, they can just leave the noose tied up in the garage on a pipe waiting for action. They know the second they see it has been uploaded they have to begin their weary clamber onto the chair and pull it around their necks.

I didn't make people this pathetic in the world. They were like that when they stumbled across Grimoire. They came to me, not the other way around. Steam has a very big audience and if you think approximately 40% of the population suffers from some sort of mental illness but Steam has only winners then you clearly have not been on Steam. Read Ronnie the gay stalker's recent review and you will know what kind of crap I have to put up with simply to market my old style RPG on Steam after working on it for 25 years. You have to run a gauntlet of nuts on SSRIs just to put up a new build.

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist
The people who are whining about the manual are desperately searching for something to criticize.

This.

When the manual comes out very shortly these people will have nothing left to live for and will promptly kill themselves.

You can stand outside the Louvre and picket the Mona Lisa all you want. At the end of the day, you're a crank outside the Louvre.

As long as the manual is still not out, they can just leave the noose tied up in the garage on a pipe waiting for action. They know the second they see it has been uploaded they have to begin their weary clamber onto the chair and pull it around their necks.

I didn't make people this pathetic in the world. They were like that when they stumbled across Grimoire. They came to me, not the other way around. Steam has a very big audience and if you think approximately 40% of the population suffers from some sort of mental illness but Steam has only winners then you clearly have not been on Steam. Read Ronnie the gay stalker's recent review and you will know what kind of crap I have to put up with simply to market my old style RPG on Steam after working on it for 25 years. You have to run a gauntlet of nuts on SSRIs just to put up a new build.
Cleve, when can we expect dlc for grimoire?

Incendax

Augur
Are humans worth running it for any class?
I have a hard time picking anything but Barrower or Wolfin. I know that is on me and my OCD, but that mana regen is so sweet, and Aeorb/Fairy vitality is horrendous. That just leaves Saurians (that I know of) in the Fast category, and they are stupid puking snakes.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Read Ronnie the gay stalker's recent review and you will know what kind of crap I have to put up with simply to market my old style RPG on Steam after working on it for 25 years. You have to run a gauntlet of nuts on SSRIs just to put up a new build.

Ronnie (played 11.2h)

Posté le : 30 décembre 2018
Update as I played the game some:

I Met a NPC in the first town of whom was level 2 and has 50+ In skills and over 200+ magic points where as your wizards have maybe 20 magic points which brings great inbalance to this game meaning the NPC can shoot magic missle and kill the mobs with ease which is a bit of a turn off to me. When I compare this game to Wizardry 8 of where monsters will hunt you down and NPC are balanced properly along with voice acting better graphics etc I have to say that Wizardry 8 is a much better game then this game.

That was mean Cleave, this guy is a genius, he figured out by himself Wizardry 8 is better in all aspects.
I'm sure if it wasn't already invented, he would invent tepid water or the butter slicer.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Ronnie tells you -- yes, you -- why you should buy Pillars of Eternity (or Internity) 1 in less than three minutes.

Direct quote 1: "We know with absolute certainty that we totally have to give this game a thumbs up."

Direct quote 2: "Thinking about maybe rolling a Wizard. Haven't dived too much into it."

Ronnie also shows awareness that he is in his early 40s and yet still has a hairstyle you'd typically find on a 16 year old boy trying to learn how to perform a kickflip on his skateboard. We love ya, Ronnie.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
Cleve, when can we expect dlc for grimoire?

THIS ISN'T DLC.

THIS IS GRIMOIRE.

boom-walter.gif

Lord Andre

Arcane

This.

Ah, so you've been googling "format tables pdf" for a week and still can't figure that shit out. Don't be embarrassed mate, no one really knows how to format tables, you just fidget with them till you luck out.

Ovg

Cipher
Cleave, could you add windowed mode somehow? Because that or alt-tabbing would be great.

Apart from that, I like it.

Black_Willow

Arcane
I have to report some strange issue:
with Avast as antivirus and ZoneAlarm as Firewall, the game freezes on start with black screen and even alt-ctrl-del won't help, you have to make a hard reset.
I diasabled Avast and ZoneAlarm and it launched just fine.
In b4 "get a better firewall and antivirus".

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
I have a hard time picking anything but Barrower or Wolfin. I know that is on me and my OCD, but that mana regen is so sweet, and Aeorb/Fairy vitality is horrendous. That just leaves Saurians (that I know of) in the Fast category, and they are stupid puking snakes.

Humans and Drows (Elves) have the slowest mana regeneration, so they can only be good for other professions I guess.

Though about only Barrowers, Wolfin and Saurians being good, I'm not sure about that:

races.jpg

• Saurians are strong and fast, but gain skill points through use much slower than others due to being the by far stupidest race. Also, Saurians have the lowest number of total attribute points along with the Aeorb, making these two not such great choices for multiclassing.

• Wolfin have the lowest WIL (important for spell casting in some way), but good DEV for bigger mana pool. And they even have claw attacks for the early fights. Fastest mana regen. Barrowers have average WIL and DEV, but no claw attacks. Also fastest mana regen.

• Drake, Feyfolk and Naga have the highest natural armor class (NAC). The question is how important it is to have those 10-20 extra points. As you get better gear, NAC definitely loses importance (unless the NAC also increases on level up, someone needs to check).

• For multiclassing, the total number of attribute points may be something to look at, since you cannot go lower than the racial minimum on attributes when you are back at Level 1. The Naga and Durendil have the highest total number of attribute points (440), making them pretty good choices for multiclassing, but both have armor restrictions.

• The Naga also have the highest SPD and AGI - especially speed is very important.

combo.jpg

You also have to keep in mind the bonus multipliers for more skill points on level up and more bonus points at creation (for HP, attributes or skills):
  • For Assassins and Pirates the Rhattu have the by far best bonus points - and those two classes have some special skills that definitely benefit from more skill points (until you max them out). Have claw attacks.

• Sages also have a lot of useful skills, so that the fantastic 2.0x multiplier of the Aeorb may be worth taking them for that class. To counter the Aeorb squishiness, you can put the 2.0x bonus points in the beginning into their HP and then they gain twice as many skill points on each level up. But the Aeorb are also super-slow, which is a big minus.

• If you want a Metalsmith, then the Drake seems to be an obvious choice. Have claw attacks and fire breath (and high natural armor class) - excellent in the beginning.

• Barrower Sage is a bad combination and Wolfin Bard is a bad combination.

• The Giant is only good for melee classes (except Assassin). Enormous STR and CON, but relatively slow. So if you create a Giant Warrior with 1.5x bonus points, you can put those into SPD in the beginning to counter that. Giants have quite a lot of HP anyway.

• If you want a Necromancer for their excellent spells, the Feyfolk are an obvious choice due to the 1.6x bonus on skill points (which you can use to increase your magic skill much faster). Feyfolk have average DEV and WIL.

• Wolfin Clerics and Barrower Thaumaturge are also obvious choices due to the bonus points and both races having the fastest mana regeneration.

Last edited:

Gunnar

Arbiter

Humans and Drows (Elves) have the slowest mana regeneration, so they can only be good for other professions I guess.

• Saurians are strong and fast, but gain skill points through use much slower than others due to being the by far stupidest race. Also, Saurians have the lowest number of total attribute points along with the Aeorb, making these two not such great choices for multiclassing.

I made a drow caster, and it indeed does suck that his mana regen is slow... but it's more of a convenience thing. I wonder if I had picked all my caster races with slow regen if it would appear to be a problem at all, or if it's more just frustratingly slow by comparison.

I have a Saurian Warrior in my first slot and he was the first to master his weapon skill by far. I'm not sure INT covers point increases for weapons.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Hahaha, Cleveland Mark Blakemore rated my post! Did he ever rate any of yours?! NOPE. Guess we know who is the favoured son here, LOSERS. Hahahaha, it's good being me.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
I have a Saurian Warrior in my first slot and he was the first to master his weapon skill by far. I'm not sure INT covers point increases for weapons.

If it doesn't, then INT and WIS are pretty much dump stats since they aren't necessary for spell casting either.

Gunnar

Arbiter

If it doesn't, then INT and WIS are pretty much dump stats since they aren't necessary for spell casting either.

It would kind of suck to have to pump INT and WIS on a fighter just to master a sword. The only place I have noticed INT/WIS working is with Climbing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom