Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Josh Sawyer Q&A Thread

laclongquan

Arcane
Bronze can be easily melted in a pot over a fire while working iron requires a specialized furnace.

It mean that a nomad tribe (which is the form of most of nascent ancient civilization) can smith items while they move from one place to another every few years. Meanwhile, to make iron items you need furnace, and at least 5 year each move because specialized furnace is nothing a nomad tribe on the move can concern themselves with.

To be more clear: it's easier to invent bronze than invent iron. The number of bronze-invent civs surpass the number of iron-invent civs prove this point.

Last edited:
Hmm, somewhat surprised that Josh knows Eames, always had him pegged as too utilitarian a guy to spend much thought or energy on design aesthetics (although I guess it fits with his bike nerdery). For real though: I've always found Eames' designs horrendous and viewed their veneration as indicative of the fact that the cultural emperor wears no clothes.

2house2fly

Magister
Don't worry. I have it on good authority that white supremacist ideology is nothing more than the free and open exchange of ideas backed up by logic and science and expressed in good faith.

Sizzle

Arcane

https://jesawyer.tumblr.com/post/181652599666/any-advice-for-someone-who-wants-to-get-into-game

the-nicest-duwang asked:

Any advice for someone who wants to get into game development as a coder

People ask me variants of this question quite often and it’s been a while since I’ve given an answer, so I’ll try to be comprehensive with a few disclaimers.

Disclaimer 1: I entered the game industry in 1999, when the were very few academic game design or game development programs. I became a designer at a time when many designers had academic backgrounds in the humanities/social sciences. Most programmers had four-year CS degrees. Broadly speaking, the balance has shifted.

Disclaimer 2: I am most heavily involved in hiring designers, but I occasionally weigh in on artist, animator, audio designer, and programmer applicants.

Disclaimer 3: I do not have any experience with any of the academic programs listed below. I cannot recommend any of them. However, they often appear in the resumes of applications at Obsidian.

General: Any personal or professional work on games is a huge benefit. Modding existing games or writing your own small games shows that you have an understanding of what goes into putting a game together. Unity and Unreal 4 are two of the easiest platforms to dig into and both platforms make it easy to share your work with others. These mods or games do not need to be big. In fact, smaller mods that show a clear focus are generally preferable.

I cannot stress enough that when we receive 20+ applications for junior position and over a dozen of them have zero modding or game dev experience, we mentally de-prioritize them in favor of candidates with some personal experience.

Programming: About half of our junior programming applicants have trade school degrees from institutions like Digipen, Full Sail, or SMU Guildhall. The remainder have 4-year computer science degrees or are self-taught. Most junior candidates are more comfortable with C# than C++. Both are useful, and possessing solid skills in at least one is preferable to skills with scripting languages (LUA, Python, etc.). Critical thinking/analysis and communication skills are all incredibly valuable for our programming candidates.

https://www.digipen.edu/

https://www.fullsail.edu/

https://www.smu.edu/guildhall

Design: A large percentage of our design applicants have trade school degrees. Most of the candidates we are interested in have made school projects and/or mods/modules for existing games, especially RPGs with mod-friendly toolsets like Fallout 3/NV/4, NWN 1 / 2 (less common these days), Dragon Age, etc.

Most designers at Obsidian begin as general designers and move into system, narrative, or area design over time, but there are exceptions. Candidates interested in a specific sub-discipline should tailor their game/mod content toward that field. E.g., a candidate interested in system design should focus on things like balance mods or small, mechanically tight games. A candidate interested in narrative design should focus on reactive dialogue, item and quest descriptions, and branching quest lines/resolutions.

Even more than other disciplines, designers must have excellent critical thinking/analysis and communication skills. This is one of the reasons why designers who do not come through trade schools often have 4 year humanities (English, history, philosophy, etc.) or social science (anthropology, psychology, poli sci) degrees.

Art and Animation: For these disciplines, the portfolio/reel trumps the resume when it comes to junior candidates. Even so, most applicants have some formal art/animation education, typically from a game dev program, because those programs help artists understand the constraints of working in a game dev environment. Some artists study at art schools without a game dev program or at an atelier.

Concept artists typically work within Photoshop. Our texture artists now almost exclusively use Substance Designer/Painter. Our 3D artists and animators work with Zbrush for detail work, Maya for almost everything else.

As always, applicants who contributed game art or animation to a student project, mod, or private project will have a leg up on other candidates.

https://www.gnomon.edu/

https://www.risd.edu/academics/digital-media/

https://www.scad.edu/academics/programs/interactive-design-and-game-development

http://www.artcenter.edu/academics/undergraduate-degrees/entertainment-design/game-design.html

Audio: Most of our audio candidates have four-year degrees related to audio or music. This is a field where game dev-specific education is less common and less important, but still valuable. Again, a portfolio of work is incredibly valuable. In the last 3-5 years, Wwise has become one of the most common audio development environments, so familiarity with it is helpful.

Last edited by a moderator:

Butter

Arcane
Patron
"I am not directly working on any project at the moment. As the studio’s design director, I give feedback and suggestions on all of our projects.

While I am working on the Pillars TTRPG, that’s more of a side project done on my own time."

Maybe he really was just playing Skyrim for its own sake.

Quillon

Arcane
Maybe he really was just playing Skyrim for its own sake.

He could have played it to give "feedback and suggestions" to...hey, maybe Feargus & Parker are co-directors for it, since half-their job(pitching games to publishers) is gone now. Excited? :D

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Josh drawing a big salary doing nothing but playing games. Living a dream, but not his.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
What a PC language machine
more like professional restriction really. Unless you are superstar, or really believe you will work in the same conpany the rest of your life, ypu dont really talk shit about other company or participate in discussion where you talk shit (not critisize mind you, totally different thing).

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://jesawyer.tumblr.com/post/181712582491/have-you-ever-been-interested-in-horror-game

rowbytownsend asked:

Have you ever been interested in horror game design? I've always thought from a design standpoint it was always a really interesting science to learn about. Even if RPG's are your specialty, would you ever try to merge the two genres? Or do you think that they are inherently averse to what each genre tries to do?

I have to admit I’m not a big fan of horror movies or games. They just don’t do much for me.

That said, so this answer is not entirely useless, I did really like The VVitch, the new Suspiria, and Ich Seh, Ich Seh / Goodnight Mommy.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
I would've thought he would mention the Aliens RPG for the horror game question.

The Real Fanboy
Josh should totally start a twitch channel since he’s already playing games for his job! It’d be cool to donate to his stream and hear his thoughts on game design and if he likes to listen to Billie Eilish!

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I would've thought he would mention the Aliens RPG for the horror game question.
Aliens wasn't a horror movie. :P

Josh should totally start a twitch channel since he’s already playing games for his job! It’d be cool to donate to his stream and hear his thoughts on game design and if he likes to listen to Billie Eilish!
He did that Darklands LP some years ago. I legitimately fell asleep during.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom