Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire + DLC Thread - now with turn-based combat!

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
Everyone knows people used to just stay wherever they are born and never move before the modern phenomenon of interracial cuckold fetishism.
That's one sad turk right there.
Let's listen to some Livaneli and ponder the mistakes of the XXth century together, friend :hug:

AwesomeButton Could you provide us peasants a screenshot my good sir ? I haven't reached high level yet.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
AwesomeButton Could you provide us peasants a screenshot my good sir ? I haven't reached high level yet.
Make sure you are sat down when you open it:

Utwz0wS.jpg

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Yeah.

I was looking for mostly white looking dwarf male portraits but I am not opposed to other colours at all, if it looks good/non-lore breaking. I wanted to roll a mountain dwarf from Old Vailia this time around.

BTW: I thought there were some white Vailians in the series too? Like that white female dwarf at the VTC HQ?
Have you decided on a class? I assume you don't want frosty beard and armor with fur for Deadfire, but do you want it to be particularly pirate-y looking?

AwesomeButton

Patron
"Narrative designer":
"As you make your way along the road, you notice the light dimming, as if a shadow has fallen over you."
Funnym I always thought that the same light will actually look brighter as your surroundings get darker.

"Narrative designer":
"You glance around, unsure of where it's coming from. The air feels thick, pregnant with unseen energy."
The air does not get "pregnant", it may feel "charged with unseen eneregy", it may feel "galvanized by an invisible force", but not "preganant with unseen energy". You are thick.

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
I see they restrained themselves from drawing a blazing sword for Pallegina this time. :lol:
Hmmm these tentacles who obviously come from behind us are up to no good I say...

If the base game loading screen is any indication, Maia is dead btw :incline:

AwesomeButton

Patron
I see they restrained themselves from drawing a blazing sword for Pallegina this time. :lol:
Hmmm these tentacles who obviously come from behind us are up to no good I say...
But they may yet be helpful after we've all overdosed on Potions of Constipation.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Alright, I started my PotD run with a Druid/Cyper. Hopefully it will be more balanced/challenging than my release playthrough. I plan on multiclassing most of the party. Edit: Nvm, multiclassing works differently than I thought.

Last edited:

jf8350143

Liturgist
The starting of FS is way more interesting comparing to the other two DLC, the moment you get into the dungeon it feels very intriguing.

Maybe it's because i'm a sucker for going down a seemingly endless pit and discovering shit, but still.

2house2fly

Magister
"Narrative designer":
"As you make your way along the road, you notice the light dimming, as if a shadow has fallen over you."
Funnym I always thought that the same light will actually look brighter as your surroundings get darker.

"Narrative designer":
"You glance around, unsure of where it's coming from. The air feels thick, pregnant with unseen energy."
The air does not get "pregnant", it may feel "charged with unseen eneregy", it may feel "galvanized by an invisible force", but not "preganant with unseen energy". You are thick.
preg·nant
/ˈpreɡnənt/
adjective
  1. 1.
    (of a woman or female animal) having a child or young developing in the uterus.
    "a pregnant woman"
    synonyms: expecting a baby, expectant, carrying a child; More

2. 2.
    full of meaning; significant or suggestive.
    "a pregnant pause"
    synonyms: full of, filled with, charged with, heavy with, fraught with, replete with, rich in, abounding in More

AwesomeButton

Patron
Ahahahah
They're made out of hardtacks mixed with gwufthrewn. Mandatory for very long dungeon dwelling.
Real heroes cannot afford the disgrace of shitting themselves when a monster has 16 Armor Rating. Therefore, potions of constipation are much sought after among adventurers.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
"Narrative designer":

"Narrative designer":

Stop nitpicking such minute word choices.

AwesomeButton

Patron
"Narrative designer":

"Narrative designer":

Stop nitpicking such minute word choices.
At least someone has nitpicked them, even if it hasn't been whoever wrote this.

The sum of those minute choices is what ultimately gives the writing its style.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Alex Scokel on Vatnir: https://less-than-hash.tumblr.com/post/181666034130/the-principia-discordia

The Principia Discordia

The Pillars fan Discord reached out with the following:

Dear Alex,

During our conversations on character of Vatnir in Pillars of Eternity: Deadfire on Discord for this game we found ourselves having some questions. We allowed ourselves to create this list of general questions:

Does Vatnir actually likes anything? Would anything make him happy? Those questions became an issue especially after publication of “Seeker, Slayer, Survivor” and “Forgotten Sanctum”, where he constantly presents comments of displeasure, boredom, nihilism, resentment etc. and actually almost none of positive feelings (aside Watcher getting bitten by the machine in the FS). That also made some of us question, if he even likes to travel, as You have told on PAX panel. Would he be interested/willing to be presented to Giacolo and/or his procedure? Also what is his attitude towards other godlike (aside or including Tekehu)? Some of us question, why they care for such an ass?

tumblr_inline_pkqisgNdtu1s8x3be_1280.png

My (spoiler-light-but-not-free) thoughts are behind the cut.

I can’t speak for people caring or not caring about Vatnir - honestly, I’m often surprised by the way people respond to him. Making a lovable character was never one of our goals with Vatnir. We wanted him to be complicated but understandable, amoral but sympathetic. Amoral because it was important to us that he be a priest who never judges the player’s actions (from a moralistic standpoint).

He makes a lot of jokes - albeit dark jokes - even when he’s complaining, and part of that is to keep him sympathetic. He’s not so negative and nihilistic that he can’t find humor in things.

(I particularly like his response to being petted by Fetid spray, or this, which can occur when the doors shut on the player party in Forgotten Sanctum, locking them out of the greater part of the structure near its entrance.)

I also think that he does try to be helpful and useful - it’s just that that helpfulness is filtered through the lens of his religion, his physical and emotional suffering, and his cowardice.

• He’s not always complaining about delving into ancient ruins filled with monsters only because he doesn’t want to be there - he doesn’t think anyone else should be there, either. There’s plenty of adventures to be had that don’t involve giant tentacle monsters.
  • He doesn’t express existential philosophies out of pure selfishness, but because he believes others should accept and internalize them towards the betterment of their spirit - he is a priest, after all!
Cowardice is a cornerstone to Vatnir’s character. He likes traveling, but he doesn’t enjoy putting himself at unnecessary risk, especially at risk of suffering and pain, which he feels like he gets plenty of anyway. And note that despite that cowardice, he still follows the Watcher into these places he clearly doesn’t want to be. He’s loyal, and he’s (kind of) stalwart.

tumblr_inline_pkqixubZPn1s8x3be_250.png

Since the DLCs are primarily about dungeon-delving and fighting, the player primarily experiences Vatnir in that context. Not at his best, I’d argue. If we’d been able to add more base game lines for him in places like, say, Neketaka, he might seem a bit less of a negative ass.

He’s much more relaxed, for example, during his exchange with Vela.

In the beautiful, magical world where we got to do a fully-fleshed personal quest for Vatnir beyond what’s in Beast of Winter, I’d have pitched focusing it on giving him a tour of the Deadfire, showing him little beautiful things and the like. Maybe take him to the Teotara Marvel. Something pleasant and meditative and life-affirming.

This would almost certainly not actually get into the game in that form. There’s a (not unreasonable) expectation of combat and treasure from quests, especially those related to major characters such as the companions.

Once actually in a fight, however, he quickly accepts it and pulls his weight. In general he’s quick to accept misfortune as a result of his fatalism - because of course terrible shit was going to happen. And when it does, you’ve got to push through it if you want to survive. If you’re looking for another positive aspect of the character, I’d say you can find it there - Vatnir is persistent and possessed of great fortitude.

As for the other two godlikes, I think he’s got far more in common with Pallegina than with Tekēhu. One could argue that he’s an anti-Tekēhu, a creature so brutalized by his life that he’s become rather callous.

He’s also significantly older than either of the other two. I don’t think we nail down his age, but he’s probably older (in terms of raw years) than any other companion save Ydwin. And all of that time was spent in inhospitable climes among the company of fundamentalist Rymrgand cultists. And as an Endings Godlike.

And regarding Giacolo? I think Vatnir’s probably well beyond the animancer‘s aid. I don’t recall whether or not we go into it, but I suspect that extracting a godlike’s chime late in life could have a pretty negative effect on them. Even so, it wouldn’t undo Vatnir’s godlike features - though perhaps some of the sores might close and the infections clear up.

Disclaimer: The above is not canon. There’s every possibility Obsidian’ll contradict that in some future game.

If he could be transformed from a godlike into a pale elf, however, I suspect he’d accept that in an instant. He’s in constant, significant pain, and I think he’d feel no compunction about taking almost any action to relieve himself of it.

That said, he has no particular feelings about godlikes as a “species.” He doesn’t consider them particularly blessed, nor does he find them frightening or off-putting. They’re simply a part of the world - inevitable.

I’ve joked that there’s a lot of myself in Vatnir, and while I don’t really think that’s true, I do think that there are aspects of him that are informed by my depression. Vatnir has this dark pain, this gaping emptiness within, both physical and spiritual, that gnaws at him. Every moment. Of every day. And that dulls the world to a person. It can reduce to them the world to its most unpleasant aspects.

There’s no small extent, I think, to which Vatnir’s fatalism and dourness is a coping mechanism that doesn’t fully reflect inner life. It’s clear from listening to him that he was miserable in the White that Wends and would never want to return, but at the same time, he defends it against Ydwin’s insults and is deeply unimpressed with her embrace of other cultures. He clearly has affection for his homeland and culture, buried under all that frost and pus.

Hope this was helpful?
<3 <3 <#

Last edited:

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
I only played the first hour or so of PoE2 (and I don't plan to continue until the TB mode comes out), but I agree with AwesomeButton. The pretentious, overwritten intro alone was enough to make me want to shut off the game. PoE1 was bad too, but never as bad as this.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
The gods of Eora, including Eothas, are incredibly powerful and stubborn. Being pushed around and ignored by the gods was supposed to feel annoying and irritating, but the resolution to the story wasn't supposed to be unsatisfying. My hope was that the gods' increasing desperation and reliance on the Watcher would give the player a sense of satisfaction and that Eothas' willingness to listen to the Watcher's opinions about how to leave things would give them a sense of place and purpose between Eothas, the gods, and mortals.

Oooouh, I missed this little morsel. Apart from how this reasoning is pretty non-existent in the actual text, it also undermines itself in literally the very first conversation in the game, Berath makes it perfectly clear they don't need you and they can find someone else, then turns you into a cat or something if you refuse. Either a classic case of the right hand not knowing what the left is doing or incompetence in developing and implementing the ideas they have.

AwesomeButton

Patron
It's hit and miss. You can find examples when a writer cared about the consistency with the rules of the world, but most of the time it feels like the writer neither knew nor cares to know about the rules of the world. "Not interested in discussing how realistic things are in an alternate universe fantasy game with dragons and people with horns" as Pete Hines would put it.

2house2fly

Magister
Oooouh, I missed this little morsel. Apart from how this reasoning is pretty non-existent in the actual text, it also undermines itself in literally the very first conversation in the game, Berath makes it perfectly clear they don't need you and they can find someone else, then turns you into a cat or something if you refuse. Either a classic case of the right hand not knowing what the left is doing or incompetence in developing and implementing the ideas they have.
given that the post mentions "increasing" desperation and reliance, I would assume that at the start of the game their desperation and reliance on you would be at its lowest point

Quillon

Arcane
The gods of Eora, including Eothas, are incredibly powerful and stubborn. Being pushed around and ignored by the gods was supposed to feel annoying and irritating, but the resolution to the story wasn't supposed to be unsatisfying. My hope was that the would give the player a sense of satisfaction and that Eothas' willingness to listen to the Watcher's opinions about how to leave things would give them a sense of place and purpose between Eothas, the gods, and mortals.

Berath says it would be a more difficult task if player should refuse them and game tried to show both "gods' increasing desperation and reliance on the Watcher" & "Eothas' willingness to listen to the Watcher's opinions". I don't get what the issue here is. Player is the most suitable for the job & gods are arrogant enough to try their luck on their own/through some other means, if refused by the player.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
It really doesn't matter because they can and will do it without you, proven by Berath turning you into a cat, it might be more difficult, but it's nowhere near "desperation".

Quillon

Arcane
as 2house2fly said desperation comes later; about at hosongo, then at ashen maw where they try to do it without/in spite of the player to no avail :P

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom